Nora's journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nora's journey

Nora....sorry about the hangover, but valuable lesson learned dont cha think???
    Take that pill girl. We dont need booze in our lives, but the hard part is convincing ourselves of it
    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Nora's journey

Nora, thought this might help:

Excellent Article:

Many of the problems associated with early sobriety do not stem directly from drugs and alcohol. Instead, they are associated with physical and psychological changes that occur after the chemicals have left our bodies. When we use, our brains actually undergo physical change to cope with the presence of the drug in our body. When we remove the drugs, our brains then demand more to satisfy the desire caused by the changes. The extreme symptoms that we experience immediately after we stop using are called ?acute withdrawal.?
      Acute withdrawal, unfortunately, is not the whole story. Our bodies make initial adjustments to the absence of the drug, and the major symptoms ease up. However, the changes that have occurred in our brains need time to revert back to their original state (to the extent that they ever do). During the period of time while this is occurring, they can cause a variety of problems known as Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome

Rest of Articlewell worth reading)

Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) ? Why we don?t get better immediately) ? Digital Dharma

Comment

Nora's journey

Thanks friends.
        I'll check out that article Choochie.
        "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Nora's journey

did mr Nora get mad with you??

Comment

Nora's journey

Not really. But it just causes unhappiness because he worries about my health. So....I'm back on the antabuse. To be honest, I didn't want to take it, I wanted to keep drinking for the weekend. But, that way lies madness.
            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Nora's journey

Hi Nora,

Well it appears that we are at a similar stage in this journey indeed. I also went off the antabuse and had a drink. I actually didn't go off it TO drink - I stopped taking it when my bf pissed me off one day and then I just kinda carried on not taking it, not actively planning to drink.

Then a difficult moment came, I was already in the clear meds-wise and unfortunately I happened to find a half-bottle of brandy in one of my old hiding places- I hadn't a clue it was there. So I drank it, and then proceeded to drink about a litre of spirits a day for the rest of the week! Argh! Horrendous behaviour, horrendous withdrawal. Waste of time, waste of life.

But actually I'm not that annoyed at myself as I usually am after a lapse/binge, as I feel this whole experience has really taught me some really important stuff. Nothing has been lost as I am still alive, still have my script and I've come out of it feeling more posiitive than ever. I actaully feel like I did the very first time I decided to be teetotal - like I got my mojo back - and I can't tell you how brilliant that is

I feel stronger than ever. AF a week now and started back on the antabuse yesterday (wanted to wait for all the junk to leave my system before risking it). I REALLY feel like something has changed in me, and now I've got that momentum I am just going to roll with it. Best mistake I ever made I reckon Ah well sometimes that's the way it goes...

Anyway no way I am going off the pills again - hell, they work when you play the game. And now I'm happy to be following the rules.

I am glad you are back on it too, Nora. Guess you gotta find that place yet where you're REALLY HAPPY to be on them rather than feeling like you're punishing or depriving yourself in some way. That may take some time. You already seem happy that you know they can keep you safe if you use them, but a part of you is still yearning for the al. Can I ask you a question, and please REALLY think about it: What do you think would need to change for that not to be the case?

Hmmmm? Anyway :l to you - glad to be on the journey with you.
              K x
              Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Nora's journey

Thank you Kimberley. Excellent question. I just don't know the answer for that yet. I was doing really well. I was happy. Really enjoying my AF time. So, why did I feel like I was missing something?
                It is good that I stopped & took my pill today. I would have just wanted to continue to drink. I would have actually wasted the entire weekend by drinking and then recovering from it. Why would I want to do that? It makes no sense does it? But, that is why I am here.
                Oh well - back to the drawing board. Got to keep up with the pills and work on my plan. This little detour didn't work for me so I'm back on the right road again.
                AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Nora's journey

Blast our alkie thinking, Nora! I have had so many episodes like this, and yet I have continued to wonder if maybe "this time will be different." Of course, it never is.
                  Choochie's link is brilliant. I spent a few hours reading through all the letters and I learnt a lot about myself and why I have failed to stop drinking. I also learned that it was my understanding that caused the failure, not some awful character flaw.
                  It's very positive reinforcement that, armed with the right information and attitude, we can get healthy.
                  :l:l:l:l:l
                  :h Mish :h
                  sigpic
                  Never give up...
                  GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
                  Remaining a perpetual possibility
                  Only in a world of speculation.
                  What might have been and what has been
                  Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

Nora's journey

Hey gang.....has everyone taken their pill today?? I have...
                    I will go read Choocies article

Comment

Nora's journey

Nora....:l

Comment

Nora's journey

Blooming well done, Nora for catching this in the bud before it got out of hand. I know that in the past if I ever had a bash at modding it would have been a straight run to a full relapse.

Like your husband, Mr JC would always get this sort of sad and dissapointed look when I started my mutterings to start modding. Underneath I get the feeling he was as worried as Hell.

Good luck on the new plans, me darling.

J x
                        :l
                        It could be worse, I could be filing.
                        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Nora's journey

ditto sweet jackie!!

Comment

Nora's journey

11-20-10

Well, I read in the information that Choochie posted that that it is important to write in your journal everyday even if you don't have anything to say. So, I don't have anything to say but here I am. :H
                            Thank you everyone for your support. JC - that's right - the sad, disappointed look. It just wasn't worth it. And - Yes Jan - I took my pill today.
                            I am not upset that I tried this. I needed to do it. I do wish that I could do it without taking the pills but that is going to take time. So, I'll just continue on.
                            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Nora's journey

nora...I feel the exact same way...I want to do this without a pill and I hate what it is doing to my liver, but I know I have several more months ahead of me...we will do it together!!

Comment

Nora's journey

:argh: Yep, I've taken my pill also and we are all right with you Nora
                                :groupluv:
                                I just wish I didn't feel quite so:cactus: I can feel the nausea and spinning beginning already.

:l:l:
                                :h Mish :h
                                sigpic
                                Never give up...
                                GET UP!!!

AF since 25th November, 2011

What might have been is an abstraction
                                Remaining a perpetual possibility
                                Only in a world of speculation.
                                What might have been and what has been
                                Point to one end, which is always present. T.S. Eliot

Comment

Working...
                                X