Army thread tuesday 10th Jan 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips I have the central heating on so no sympathy from here.
    I wonder how our lovely Molly is?

Comment

Cinders;1242080 wrote: Pingu,

I have found that sleep gets better and better slowly. By five or six weeks, you are sleeping "normally." Whatever is normal for you without alcohol interfering.

Once past week one, you might want to try Melatonin or any of the other myriad OTC supplements to help you sleep. They help but are not addictive as Ambien, Lunesta, etc.

Hang in there, keep going and one day you will find you go to bed and sleep without any help at all. Not only that, but when you wake up, you will find yourself truly rested as your body intends.

Cindi
      But I've been 10 months without drinking and my sleep is getting worse!! When I gave up I had the initial few bad nights, then a bit of improvement, then recently I am sleeping like a pig... never been the best sleeper but it is really starting to annoy me now because I go up to bed feeling really tired then this little kind of awake thing happens and it takes me an hour or two to get to sleep. Plus I often wake in the night or Tigger comes in. I wouldn't mind if I could live on 5 or so hours sleep. But I can;t
      Mwah.....
      I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Comment

Pingu I'm sorry about your sleeping problems, what have you tried?

Comment

well ashamed to admit that when I was drinking I also dosed up on over the counter pills to help sleep.... so when I stopped drinking I also gave up the Sominex........

I am too scared to try pills just incase I get hooked on them. So I haven't tried anything specific apart from doing some exercise early eve or during the day, keeping busy the days I don't work instead of napping, going to bed feeling calm, sometimes take some music up, have tried meditation, hot bath, milky drink... just feel really sleepy until I hit the pillow then I wake up, and I can't remember the last time i actually slept all the night through, sometimes I wake every hour and look at the clock...
          I even bought a nice new feather pillow and some purple bedding but it didn't make a sod of difference...
          I don't drink tea or coffee or caffiene drinks. Or alcohol.
          Bah, every night I go to bed hoping I will sleep better......
          I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

Comment

Mmm it's a tricky one, I can see where you're coming from re the pills. Have you tried herbal ones? I sometimes use the herbal sleep aid ones from friggintesco and they help me.

What did the doc suggest?

Comment

Good afternoon army!

Are you pleased to be back to normality again, Mrs A? I think it's great that you were able to go back to the centre and complain. Good for you!

Hope your blood test went ok, jan.

Glad you had a good time with chilli and elle, startypants . You're right about the Scottish weather, though, it's shite! What happened at work?

Good to hear that Cerys is doing better panno...I know you've been very worried about her.

And hello LPC, cat lovers are always welcome here!

Hibernating through the winter months sounds like a great idea, jackie! Wish I could join you, but we pandas don't hibernate. :upset:

Good luck with the dentist ktabs. I have a broken toof too, but haven't bothered to do anything about it. Would be interested to hear what the dentist says.

Good to hear you're on the mend marioman. Now where are you off to on your hols this time?

Hope you enjoy Mainz, FF.....is it a beer festival?

Fraid I don't have any stickers for you either, pingu, but well done on getting through the festive season without drinking. You have my sympathies with the sleep thing....it's horrible trying to function with insufficient sleep. :upset:

Hiya cinders, hope things are well with you? Just thought I would mention that melatonin requires a prescription here in the UK. :upset:

And hiya zenny, too! Good luck with the haircut. Badly in need of one myself, so the scissors will be coming out of the drawer tomorrow. I didn't realise you dyed your hair...what colour is it when it's not dyed?

Comment

Hi Reccie, how you doing?

Comment

Hiya sooty, I'm fine thanks very much. Actually, after months and months of trying to get off the drink and tapering down, this is my day one! How are you? And whereabouts in the uk do you live, if you don't mind me asking? I live in Oxfordshire, if it's of any interest.

Comment

sooty;1242119 wrote: Mmm it's a tricky one, I can see where you're coming from re the pills. Have you tried herbal ones? I sometimes use the herbal sleep aid ones from friggintesco and they help me.

What did the doc suggest?
                    I can't take those herbal ones from friggintesco cos I already take SSRIs and apparently they don't together well

I told the doctor I would try switching my meds from evening to morning and see if that helped, she said it probably would, but she said to ring her if it wasn't getting any better and she would give me a non-addictive medication can't remember the name to help me get off....

Tonight is always a nightmare cos I go to orchestra practice and come back high as a kite and I spend ages watching TV just to calm down. In the old days I could knock back 3 large glasses of wine in the space of an hour and then sleep was non-existent!!!

It would help me hugely if Tigger stopped waking me up in the middle of the night. We finally have our appointment for her next week see if we can get to the bottom of her hyperactivity and mental behaviour.......

Comment

Pingu,

Well, I was going to suggest L-Tryptophan but taking SSRI's and L-Tryptophan can lead to excess serotonin production, which has some really bad side effects.

I agree with trying to take the meds in the a.m. and see if that helps.

Did the doctor suggest Trazodone? or Seroquel?

I have taken both, given to me in rehabs. Trazodone can help to get to sleep but I have found if I woke up in the middle of the night, I was done in.

Seroquel can make you feel like a zombie. If she suggests that, ask for the lowest dosage. My doctor gave me 50 mgs and I always cut it in half. Small little pill, so it is a challenge.

Of the two, Trazodone is the mildest. It is non-addictive and you don't tend to wake up completely zonked in the a.m.

There are some herbal supplements you can look into, others here may help, but I would double check on drugs.com for interactions before purchase.

Unfortunately, I can survive on 5 hours a night. Hubby needs 8-10 and I need 4-6. I hate having to walk around the house like a ghost so I don't disturb him.

Good luck with this. Insomnia is horrible. Hopefully you find a good solution.

Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Poor Pingu I hope changing the timing helps.

Hi Reccie many congrats on reaching day one, how are you feeling? I'm in South Wales

Comment

Hi, Zenners!! :wave:

Boy, that's a busy little wave, isn't it?
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cinders;1242045 wrote: KTAB,

It is wonderful to hear you sounding so good. Just wait until next Dec 31st when you say that. :l:l

Cindi
                            Thanks Cindi, you are a sweetheart.

Recluse;1242125 wrote:
                            Hiya sooty, I'm fine thanks very much. Actually, after months and months of trying to get off the drink and tapering down, this is my day one!
                            Thats the best news I have heard in a while Reccie, good luck with it I know you can do this.
                            Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Afternoon all,

Good man ktab.

well done recluse,

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                              I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hello everyone, back from the dentist complete with patched up filling. Twas a piece of cake. However I was told I will need a crown soon on another one which costs a lot of money I cant afford, bah humbug.
                                Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Working...
                                X