Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

February Free

Hi all
    Now thinking I might take the damn antabuse. At least it works. All those superbowl commercials and pictures of parties for the game really give me a bad jones. I dont plan on watching the game but the party part looks fun even though I know its not. Maybe I will put an antabuse in my purse and take it shopping with me....

Comment

February Free

Morning everyone - good for you Nora - keep it up - you know you can do this don't you - we are all here for you and doing it with you.... :l

Sun X
      How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

February Free

Morning everyone......Hope that everyone is having a fantastic day/night wherever you may be.

Unwasted - I really don't know about the antabuse. I try to stay on it for periods of time. I was 3 months AF last year. 2 months before that. A few months ago when I tried using it, I got so depressed that I just couldn't cope so I went off it. I know that a side effect is depression but this was major depression. Probably a lot to do with other things in life. Anyway, I'm going to give the antabuse a try again. I know that some people use it when they know they are going to be in a situation where they are tempted and they can use it to avoid drinking.

Well - I better get to work. Have a wonderful day.
        "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

February Free

Nora, I've heard that too -- about using it for situational things such as vacations. Anyway, good luck with it. Keep us posted. Bird, you too. Do you just take the Antabuse on occasion?

Sun - good morning,

Comment

February Free

ROUGH DAY TODAY. Thank goodness for antabuse. :upset:
            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

February Free

UW, I just take antabuse sometimes. I did take it once for 6 months. I just take 1/2 at a time, that lasts about 4 days so I really just take 1 a week when I take them. Well, I didnt take 1 today but I might tomorrow. I really want to get through Feb.

Comment

February Free

Bird - I usually take half a pill every other day. But, I have taken a whole pill for the past 3 days. I'm going down to the half a pill starting tomorrow. Good luck Bird. :l
                AF - 7-27-15

Comment

February Free

Good Morning Febbers,

Thanks Nora and Bird for this information about Antabuse........it's always good to have a backup plan. I've had a really rough patch lately. I got through it, but it was tough. Vacations are a huge issue for me, so I may try to get some Antabuse for those times. I guess you both get it through a doctor as opposed to online? Do you happen to know if it can be purchased online?

Not too much going on in my world everyone. Feeling really healthy and rested. I guess my bottom line about AL is this:

Even if quitting is a struggle, for me it's less of a struggle than drinking was. And, with sobriety I have a chance of getting to the point where not drinking is no longer a struggle. I'm much better off now than I was when I first quit....I think about alcohol less and less. And, of course the upside beyond the mental aspect is that I feel wonderful physically every single day. I also have peace of mind knowing I'm not harming my body anymore.

So............Febbers............my $.02 for the day. :lilheart:

Comment

February Free

Good morning Febbers, (I love that)
                    Day 27. I can relate to your feelings UW. The fleeting thoughts of Al are still ingrained and although I'm training myself to push them out, I realize I am getting stronger. The stronger I get the more I think maybe I can drink.
                    Every day I am stronger, but I will never be strong enough to drink again.

Even playing it out in my mind is exhausting....superbowl, oh have a beer. Ok maybe one since I've been doing so well. Now I had one so I will have another and another and another. I will be the drunkest one there. I will probably buy wine. I will keep drinking because I know I won't be drinking again since I'm supposed to be sober. I will pass out on the couch in my clothes. My kids will go to bed without me. I will wake up in a cold sweat asking myself WTF happened, I was doing so good? How could this happen to me?

It WON'T happen. I'm NOT effing dealing with that shit anymore.

And I'm getting some Antabuse too so if I have an urge to drink, I will pop that baby like my life depends on it. Because it does!
                    Day 1 again 11/5/19
                    Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
                    Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
                    Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
                    11/27/19: messed up but back on track
                    12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

February Free

Hi all
                      I get my antabuse from riverpharmacy online. My doc wouldnt give it to me. Yes I too feel it is easier to stay sober than deal with all that goes with al. Getting through the time from 330 to maybe 6 is the rough time for me but besides that I dont think about it much...but a hangover lasts all day so you are constantly thinking about the hangover.

Comment

February Free

Good Morning everyone! Hi Bird - gosh, I even post after you here :H I have never taken Antabuse - it scares me to be honest - I am always scared that i will eat or drink something that I shouldn't - but I know that if I had taken it, there is NO way that I would drink - I had a friend who took it and did drink on it - and it wasn't a pretty sight. It is a wonderful deterrant and as Bird says - even if you take 1/4 of a pill, it is still in your system so you know you can't drink!

Nora - how are you doing today? Are things any better? Bird - did you take your pill - or are you taking it today? From what you said about the super bowl, maybe it would be a good idea to take it - just my tuppence worth!! :H

Hi UW - yes, I totally agree about vacations being tough for not drinking - we have always associated vacations with drinking and having a good time - right?? But, I have found as my AF time goes on, I don't think about it as much - my mindset HAS changed and it does get easier. So when a vacation does come along, it shouldn't be a problem.....

Hi Nursie - so pleased to hear you playing out in your mind about NOT having another drink - I KNOW I can't. I am a NON drinker now. I just don't drink. Period! So the thought of maybe just having one - a non starter. Won't happen. Been there - it wasn't good. Went back eventually to the beginning and had to start all over again. This time for me, IS IT !!

Gosh, I am waffling on - time to go and get a shower - hugs to all, and hang in there,

sun X
                        How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

February Free

Good morning everyone... just read through the last few posts... and it has renewed my resolve to continue on this path of being AF....I so admire the strength,determination and support I see in all of you....I know we can do this!!
                          Have a great AF day!
                          :heartsnflowers:

Goal 1: 7 days AF Done!
                          Goal 2: 14 days AF Done!
                          Goal 3: 21 days AF
                          Goal 4: 28 days AF

Comment

February Free

Hallo Better - so very well done on your 7 days - the first week is the hardest!! If you can crack that, you are half way there! Just keep on keeping on and do what you are doing - any gems of wisdom that you can share with us here would be welcome too - it does help others when they see how others have managed to stay the course. It is SO not easy, but we CAN ALL DO THIS !!

Hugs, Sun X

Comment

February Free

Sun - such a good point about vacations! Just because they have historically been an issue doesn't mean our attitude can't evolve, just like we're doing with other parts of our lives. So, after some time it will feel normal to be sober on a vacation just like it's starting to feel normal to be sober in my daily life.

Bird, thank you for the information about River Pharmacy. And, so true what you said about AL. I also have a couple of hours during the evening where I feel kind of irritable, but that's about the extent to which AL bothers me now. Going out to dinner and not having wine is a bit more difficult, but I'm weathering that too. Actually, that's when I almost cratered...........but I am finding that if I can just hang on for about 15 minutes, quickly order something else to drink..........it passes. Just like everyone says.........but now I'm actually experiencing it first hand, and thankful for that!

Better Life, so glad this thread had some inspiration for you! Honestly, just keep racking up the AF days and you'll see. I truly am to the point where I don't want to drink.......I know I could drink........but it would make me absolutely miserable in the long run. I have enough days now that I absolutely don't want to compromise it..........my well-being is at stake. Now, it would be impossible to talk me into drinking.........definitely a shift there.

Nursie - your description of the mental anguish is right on. Who wants to go through that never-ending struggle we have to have when drinking........always thinking of drinking, drinking, or recovering from drinking.......absolutely f*@king exhausting and I don't want any part of it any more........EVER! So there!:H

Feeling better now.

Comment

February Free

I apologize folks, but I'm only skimming posts most times these days. Please know that I hold you all up in strength and determination though.
                                Betterlife--good work on 7 days. Keep it going!
                                Hope you're all having a great day and planning your Saturday nights well. xo
                                Psalms 119:45

?Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.?

St. Francis of Assisi

I'm not perfect, never will be, but better than I was and not as good as I'm going to be.

:rays:

Comment

Working...
                                X