The Sugar Free Challenge - Who is in??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, just re reading all these posts. Still holding up here with the no sugar it takes some work but its doable...

Now I just want Techie to pop up with a pic of something disgustingly sweet...:H and RC...miss you

Comment

That was hilarious with those nasty looking doughnuts. What a funny person! The word doughnut is actually also quite disgusting. I'll have to read back a bit further-- I often read from back to front and I don't yet know much of your story, Myplace. But good on you for still being no sugar-- since March??
      Today is definitely easier than yesterday! Hope to see you around.

Comment

Just came across this thread and know I need to start watching my sugar intake. In the past prior to being af, I craved salty things but rarely sugar. Now I'm eating candy, desserts, basically crappy sugary stuff. My mom is an insulin dependent diabetic and my teeth are starting to ache a bit.

I'm going to consciously cut back and hopefully eliminate it altogether eventually. Too soon in my af journey to stop all sugars. I think the best way for me will be to keep a journal on daily sugar intake.

Any other tips for sugar elimination?

Comment

sanchez;1552947 wrote:
          Any other tips for sugar elimination?
          Hi, Sanchez

I got off sugar and starchy carbs almost 2 years ago due to rising blood sugar problems. L- glutamine was very helpful because your brain can metabolize that while you are switching your body from primarily burning glucose (sugar) to primarily fat and ketones.

Good luck with it but don't let this project derail the most important one, ok?

Take care, NS

Comment

hi Sanchez! hi NS!

Today is my 4th day sugar free and it's getting easier.
            Sanchez, I've never really tried to cut out sugar at the same time as cutting out al. Often it's been one or the other. But I started to look at my health and I'm someone who suffers from low blood sugar, cold sores and other skin problems when under stress and I know sugar can aggravate these conditions. Also, I realized that eating sugar never really helped with my cravings for alcohol. I actually think it may have made them worse-- or at least more present in my mind (because I have an addictive relationship to sugar-- eating when stressed, upset, bored). It seems like for a lot of people the sugar helps to alleviate the cravings-- so I think that's why NS says to be careful!!!

I've been eating whole fruits and some dry fruits-- the first 2 days I had to sit on my hands because I wanted chocolate. I don't need it! I just wanted it-- instead I popped some popcorn and watched Marnie-- I forgot all about the sweets!!-- I have stevia sweetened protein powder for shakes which I will drink with frozen banana if I want. But so far so good.

A food journal is a great idea. And I think eating a lot of whole healthy foods is very important. I don't let myself get beyond a mild rumble in the tummy-- even if it means eating a small snack while I'm preparing dinner. For me, eating every 3 hours helps to keep my metabolism going and my blood sugar even. I always have a hard boiled egg or an apple with me.

At least we have our minds in tact!! I would love to hear more about you and what you're doing-- and I'll continue to post here often. It's important for me--

Comment

I'm going to have to go SF too, I keep eating chocolate and it's not helping me one bit. All sugars are out apart from the occasional piece of fruit.
              I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

hi UKblonde-- you were part of this thread before, weren't you? I read back a few days ago, but have already forgotten almost everything.
                I've managed to get through the 4th day with the help of some dried figs and a banana!

I see in your signature TSM-- what is that?

Comment

Hi Lifechange and NS -

Well, so far I'm doing too well on my reduction of sugar intake! Posted my desire to cut out sweets on Friday night the 6th. Since then, I've had some energy type gummies from GNC, some chocolate, some cookies (but they were gluten free!. Then last night I finished off the cookies and had some more chocolate. Yikes - it's not working. Been taking the L-Glutamine, but not regularly - so maybe that's the answer. Always have fruit around and freshly washed grapes and berries so as I'm working around the house, they're at the ready for me to grab a handful. Also, have been chewing gum like crazy too - sugar free of course - but my jaw is starting to ache.

I agree NS, I don't want to derail my AF journey. That's why I said I'd cut down and not quit sugar completely until I'm further down the road on staying clear of al. Will also make more of an effort to keep taking the L-Glutamine.

I said I was going to keep a journal and have not - :blush:so going to do that right this instant - start a journal so I can at least monitor how much I'm consuming. Sometimes I just thoughtlessly eat junk while watching TV or talking on the phone and have no realization of what I just did to myself. Silly me, I could just apply all that crap I just ate directly to my thighs! LOL

Comment

OOPS - My Last post - first sentence should read: NOT doing too well on my reduction of sugar intake....

Comment

hi Sanchez! Good to see you--what NS said is really important . I've been keeping a close eye on myself to make sure I'm not doing anything stupid. A food journal is a great idea (i need to keep a money journal!) to see patterns, see where weak points are, places where substitutions could be used. I think I might start one too. I missed it before.. are you also gluten free?
                      ok I'm off to bed-- have a great evening!

Comment

Hi all! New to this thread, been posting in various other threads. Thought I'd follow this one too and check in from time to time... I'm following a modified diet, an amalgam of slow carb/paleo/juice diet. Taking the various good points from these diets, I feel like it's a more well-rounded moderate diet and works well for me. Sugar and wheat are my big no-no's, and I avoid most other grains except for some rice and sometimes corn. I also don't do much dairy.

My most common substitutions are coconut milk, almond milk, and stevia for sweetener.

I seem to need a flavored drink of some kind in my hand all day (shocking, for an alkie) so in the morning and midday it's coffee and then mid afternoon I switch to my own lemonade, which is just a splash of lemon juice (yeah, it has fructose but just a little) in a big 64-ounce bottle with water, ice, and anywhere from 4 to 8 drops of liquid stevia to sweeten.

Anyway, good day to you all!

Comment

Hi, SBL

It sure seems like many of us are trying to do whatever it takes to feel as good as possible.

I could have saved myself a lot of grief if I'd dealt with AL earlier but... water under the bridge.

As I wrote in another thread, diet cannot be "one size fits all" - you've got to be willing to experiment and see what works for you. Sugar and wheat are 2 of the really common culprits, it seems.

It is nice to see others here - lifechange, sake, UKBlonde and Sanchez. What are your motivations for getting off sugar? I've known for ages I feel better w/o it and I have reduced it for many years but it wasn't until my blood sugar started climbing that I started paying attention to e.g. BBQ sauce, soups, salad dressing etc. all of which contain so much added sugar.

Be Healthy ! NS

Comment

Totally. Sugar is the most evil food additive of all, in my understanding-- not only all the problems with obesity/diabetes etc, but it's also so highly inflammatory and addictive.

I try to avoid all the sugar in sauces as much as I can. Sometimes when eating out it's unavoidable, but for home, I buy stevia-sweetened sauces and marinades from Trinity Farms in Oregon, in case anyone's interested.

NoSugar;1554860 wrote: Hi, SBL

It sure seems like many of us are trying to do whatever it takes to feel as good as possible.

I could have saved myself a lot of grief if I'd dealt with AL earlier but... water under the bridge.

As I wrote in another thread, diet cannot be "one size fits all" - you've got to be willing to experiment and see what works for you. Sugar and wheat are 2 of the really common culprits, it seems.

It is nice to see others here - lifechange, sake, UKBlonde and Sanchez. What are your motivations for getting off sugar? I've known for ages I feel better w/o it and I have reduced it for many years but it wasn't until my blood sugar started climbing that I started paying attention to e.g. BBQ sauce, soups, salad dressing etc. all of which contain so much added sugar.

Be Healthy ! NS

Comment

Hi Skullbaby and NS!
                              Good to see you both here today--

I found that I was using sugar as an emotional crutch--at some point I realized that if I was stressed out or tired or bored, I was grabbing for a chocolate or some sort of ice cream or pudding. Probably partly for the sugar rush but also as a comfort food. As I stopped drinking, I found I wanted it more-- other foods don't seem to be a problem. I have a bit of a bad habit eating everytime I watch a film, but now that I've cut out the sugar it's better.
                              I cook for a living--I'm fortunate to be able to cook organic vegetarian food-- and I always cook at home so I haven't had such a problem with hidden sugars-- thank god. For me it's the super obvious pint of ben and jerrys! And I do eat a bit of whole fruit and dried fruit.

Though I don't seem to have a wheat allergy, I don't ever use it unless I'm coupling it with sugar. I much prefer whole, cooked grains to bread, for instance. Actually, that being said, I have been less bloated the past few days. I want to read, "Wheat Belly", which you mentioned on another thread, NS.

I also love almond milk! and coffee! and dried figs are my go to for a sweet tooth fix.

Look forward to seeing you soon!

Comment

Dried figs (any sort) dipped in unsweetened chocolate and rolled in crushed, salted pistachios... :h

lifechange;1554888 wrote: Hi Skullbaby and NS!
                                Good to see you both here today--

I found that I was using sugar as an emotional crutch--at some point I realized that if I was stressed out or tired or bored, I was grabbing for a chocolate or some sort of ice cream or pudding. Probably partly for the sugar rush but also as a comfort food. As I stopped drinking, I found I wanted it more-- other foods don't seem to be a problem. I have a bit of a bad habit eating everytime I watch a film, but now that I've cut out the sugar it's better.
                                I cook for a living--I'm fortunate to be able to cook organic vegetarian food-- and I always cook at home so I haven't had such a problem with hidden sugars-- thank god. For me it's the super obvious pint of ben and jerrys! And I do eat a bit of whole fruit and dried fruit.

Though I don't seem to have a wheat allergy, I don't ever use it unless I'm coupling it with sugar. I much prefer whole, cooked grains to bread, for instance. Actually, that being said, I have been less bloated the past few days. I want to read, "Wheat Belly", which you mentioned on another thread, NS.

I also love almond milk! and coffee! and dried figs are my go to for a sweet tooth fix.

Look forward to seeing you soon!

Comment

Working...
                                X