Number of Drinks I have had this week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any words of encouragement are helpful.....

Judie

I have tried but I cant work out whether I have got registered or not. Day 10 today, had a reasonable sleep last night and the wife stayed in the bed all night. This morning I was invited to a leaving do on Friday. The booze really flows at these things, and I am sure the person who isleaving will want to buy me a big drink as I helped him with his promotion exams, which is what he is leaving for promotion. A bit worried as whether to go or not.

See you later

Kirky.. Mind you it could be a real good challenge

Comment

New Start

I was drinking last night and I have a hangover, again. I want to make this my last, but I feel that way everytime. I seem to travel along ok for some days then stuff it up by having a few drinks, which turns into alot of drinks... my mood changes, I become angry, depressed, bitter... and drunk. I will keep and eye on this site and try to take onboard what others do.

Comment

Echidna man,

This is a good place. Keep watching it.

Tawny frogmouth

Comment

New Start

Echida

It is a good start. A lot of us have been where you are now. This could be the beginning for you. I am in day 13 of abstinence, and being on this site has been a good deal of what has kept me going. At the moment I substitute beer for alcohol free beer, which I cannot tell the difference between the real stuff, except that I dont fall over with the stuff I am drinking now. I was on a bottle of gin a day. I substitiute that with ginger cordial, because it has that 'bite'. I am a habit drinker, so I hope to wean myself off having a glass by my side by hypnotism when I get the tapes. Keeping coming and reading the boards. Hopefully it will give you inspiration as it has me

good luck. Take it a day at a time. Dont worry if you slightly digress, but try not to get drunk

cheers

Kirky

Comment

kirky,

I was also a "habit" drinker--just didn't know what else to do in the evenings. Although it is a bit of change, the CDs have helped immensely, especially the abstinence CDs for me. Just took those "thoughts" right away--there was no decision to make over whether to stop at the liquor store or not--the thought just didn't come up. Seltzer water or tea has been fine in the evenings! And after the first couple of nights, the sleep has been awesome. Although I have been needing a lot more sleep since I've been AF, maybe catching up for all of those alcohol-induced-sleep nights?

Good for you!! keep posting, do register if you can figure it out, because then you can join the chat room and you will also get a private EZInbox so people can e-mail you and you them.

Stick with MWO, it has made a world of difference for me.
            Ter

Comment

Any words of encouragement are helpful.....

Ter

Thanks very much. I hope to be there when my tapes arrive. I have managed to register now. Although I do not want to abstain forever, that may be the best thing to do in th elong run. You are one of a few people who have said the tapes work. Hope they do for me, although I know I am influenced by hypnotherapy as that is what stopped me smoking. Thank you again for your interest

kirky

Comment

Re: New Start

Echidna Man,

We sound similar...with the drinking until you are drunk. I start out saying....oh I will just have one or two beers tonight, just to relax from a crazy day at work. Well, one or two beers turns into 6...and on an empty stomach, at times, which is insane to do.

I just joined tonight and I am happy that I have. The alcohol gives a buzz that I don't know how to escape but I think this MWO will help teach me the right path. Seeing that others are on the same road, is reassuring....in a way...if that makes sense. I know I am not alone in this, and niether are you..

Comment

Re: What I drank today

Josie, I felt for you when I read your input. AA can be a frightening experience. I went to one AA meeting about 15 years ago and absolutely hated it, because "I wasn't like those people" I told myself. I was forced to go and never went back. It's not life destroying. You just need to find another way, and you have. Just keep your chin up, talk to the supportive people on the Board here and you will find your way. It's hard to stop drinking. We all know that. Everyone is here to help you. It's not like AA where you have to be identified. Here, you are literally anonymous. You can tell everyone anything and you won't be judged. We are all the same. You want to give up drinking and you can. It just takes a lot of effort and patience. And if you slip up, just start again the next day. It may not happen overnight, but don't beat yourself up about it. The want to give up is stronger than the belief you cannot. A little tiny piece of your brain is telling you what to do. Give it a good hit with a baseball bat - mentally of course, not literally - and send it flying over the invisible fence to infinity. Your golden years are going to be great. God is there for you all the way. Do you know the poem of Footprints? He carries you when you can't walk alone. God doesn't want you to suffer. He wants you to live.
                  Kath

Comment

question

The last day I had a drink was last monday - - 8days ago I guess. I've noticed others saying they are having trouble sleeping. But I have been more tired lately. Is that normal for some? I've just decided I have an actual problem...a bottle of wine every night is probably not the norm.
                    I'd appreciate your feedback
                    lisa

Comment

Re: question

I, too, was drinking a bottle of wine or more a day. Been abs for 14 days. I am so tired..I go to bed at 8ish and get up at 6:00am. Still dead tired. Was I really that sleep deprived? I don't know...but I remember that when I was tired and achy, I would drink to give myself energy.....also drank when I was happy, sad, mad, bored...
                      Hope you feel better soon, Lisa.
                      Anni

Comment

Oh, thank you so much for replying. Thought I was the only one. I've been getting home from work at 7pm and I'm in bed by 9-9:30 now - just really tired. I thought that too- have I been missing out on that much sleep?

I thought alcohol was a depressant. I would come home tired and then start drinking wine and start feeling better.

Sleep is pretty great though. Just wish I had more energy.

Thank you!!

Comment

I know that when you sleep and you have even had just a couple of drinks, you do not sleep soundly. Actually, I remember someone telling me that getting 2-3 hours of sleep without alcohol is better than getting 8 after drinking! I don't know if that is true or not, but I know that people who stop drinking (I know quite a few people who have quit) sleep ALOT in the beginning - probably due to deprivation. Scary eh??

Comment

is there hope

I heard about this site and I'm hoping theres something here for me!
                            I got out of the marine corps in 2001 and I think I've been drinking just shy of a 12 pack a night. had a few days without drinking maybe about a week once.
                            I'm now a general contractor and very busy.
                            New marriage and I'm scared deep down that everything is going to crash

Comment

is there hope

Hi eagle,

If you really want to do something about it, and from what you say I presume you have, then this is a great place to be. I have gone from drinking a bottle of gin a night to zero over the past fortnight or so. I am on day 17 of abstination, although I do not intend staying abstinent forever, but then we will have to wait and see. A lot of my inspration has been from the lovely people on this site, reading the book and I have just started the tapes yesterday. The sleeping one knocked me for six after only a few minutes. I dont know your circumstances, but I am a habit drinker, 6pm till it knocks me out. From feeling pretty crappy in the mornings, I now feel great apart from being quite tired, but I think that is my body getting used to no alcohol to keep me buzzing, but the best thing is I can remember what I did last night, and the night before and the night before that, and the arguements in this household have practically diminished. Have a look at the mesages on the boards, and if they inspire you, then this is definitely the place to be. It may be best to start your own thread to see how much support you get as not everybody reads older threads.

Good luck with whatever you intend doing.

Hope to speak to you soon
                              kirky

Comment

Re: is there hope

Yes, there is hope! This is a great place to learn about yourself and others. You are not alone! I've been abs for 15 days, first time in decades...
                                Good luck to you,
                                Anni

Comment

Working...
                                X