Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in the First Week of Their Unpteenth Quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Said very well my friends. The fun part about not drinking is I am eating doughnuts, chocolate, strawberries with sour cream and brown sugar and all kinds of delights that I never allowed myself to indulge in while drinking. I want to keep the sugar cravings at bay and am spoiling myself at the same time.

Don is right; it is so worth it. Ginger, 46 days is pretty darn impressive. You are really kicking booze to the curb. Without you and the gang, my thread would have died as it always has before and I would now be on my umpteenth day one. So happy we are all in this together and also glad that everyone looks at this thread as one they can come back to if they hiccup or slip up.

Have a great weekend everyone. I'll be back Monday. xoxo
    "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    Lao-Tzu

Comment

We have some great synergy here.... Let's keep it going strong!

Comment

Yes it is worth it, well said Chief! :l

Chief;1673753 wrote: Yes, my eyes had a yellow tint and were always red. I used Visine 3 or 4 times a day...carried a bottle in my pocket, but it didn't work. I haven't used it for over a month. My eyes are now clear, blue and white. Our bodies are amazing things. I feel so much better now that I'm not pouring poison into it everyday....

Stick with it everyone. Make a vow to yourself that NO MATTER WHAT you will not take a drink. That's what I did...it wasn't easy at first but it also wasn't next to impossible. It's really a mindset, and it has to be....a mindset. Just refuse to drink......refuse to give in. If someone was doing everything in their power to get you to shoot up heroin, would you? Of course not.....that wouldn't even be an option. That's how you have to think about drinking. It's not even on the table. No negotiations.

Don't think "I'm only on day 1 or 3 or 7 or whatever", just think about today. Just take care of today and the numbers will take care of themselves. Today is 32 for me and sometimes it feels like just yesterday was day 1 and sometimes it feels like my drinking days were a decade ago.

I promise you it is worth it....I promise

Don
        (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Hi all, I so agree with what Don said.. The days rack up almost through osmosis... I am doing exactly that, not taking that first drink and that was 23 days ago. This is the millionth time I've tried but I have changed the mindset and it feels good
          And my eyes are so much brighter and whiter too
          Hi Nora, stick around
          Pat xx

Comment

Yes, but you must admit the first few weeks are really tedious.
            Somehow you have to forget about counting the days and NOT forget that you are no longer drinking alcohol.
            Tricky business.

Personally I don't like the counting, but if that is what it takes so be it.
            The thought of starting over can become insurmountable after while; it really is just easier not to take that one little ity bity first drink. This is what I am keeping in mind. And, it is better for me, when I have a craving for wine, to actually work through it instead of trying to squash it. It goes away after a few minutes... and the next one seems somehow more manageable. Less terrifying... less urgent...

Comment

I'm with you, Eloise. The counting gets a little obsessive for me and days don't pile up as quickly as I'd like, which can be a negative. I'm better off just focusing on today. And you are so right about those first couple of weeks.... Brutal they were but it does get easier as we learn how to cope without the drink. I've always waited until 5p to start my drinking so from 4:30p on it was a battle for me. About 2 weeks ago I started to notice that at 4:30 my brain went to an icy sparkling water instead of a glass of wine. Hmmmm retrain the brain?? I'm thinking it IS possible.

Hope you all have a great MAE.

Comment

Hi all,i was just thinking of this yesterday,days go by so damn fast either way drunk or sober,but it's so much nicer to actually remember how the day went instead of being in an al fog ya know?i spent the first part of this month in that al fog,kids or hubs would tell me something,then hafta tell me again later,a mess,hope everybody has a wonderful af Friday
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Pauly - that is exactly what I have been going thru. Somebody tells me something like we've talked about it???? I have no idea what they're talking about.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I'll be back tonight. :thanks:
                  "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                  AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Yup, yet another reason to give up the booze. Imagine how things might go in a few years if we continue drinking?! I do not want to think about it....

Comment

Thanks for reposting Chief's message Eloise. It's what I needed to hear right now. Def know what everyone means about forgetting conversations. Came up with something at work and ended up missing an opportunity. Never again. Never again.

Guess that means I should keep that notepad app, and use it, for the next couple of weeks.
                      “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
                      Newbies Nest Roll Call
                      Toolbox
                      Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Wow, I so did that all the time, Pauly and Nora. My kids think I'm a total flake.

Comment

Gonna be a downer for a minute (and apparently surrender good English) but even though I've had a few AF days this month has put me through my paces in terms of AL. Was down to 4 to 6 drinks but been up to 10 standard units. Been getting in the way of me getting to the Dojang and meditating. Not done yet though, not by a long shot. Trying to just focus on living and the life I want. (Course I'm still finalizing that but there are parts of which I have no doubt)

A brand new day starts the moment I make the decision again not what the hour is.
                          “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
                          Newbies Nest Roll Call
                          Toolbox
                          Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Orimus, remember....drinking 0 or 12 is easy.......drinking 1 or 2 is impossible. For me, it's much easier to not drink a drop. I tried many, many times to moderate. It doesn't work. We're just not wired for that. And we can't change the way we're wired, but we can change what we do.

What if you had a friend who was having all sorts of problems....physical, emotional, financial....problems at home with his family, problems at work not performing 100%, and it was all because he was obsessed with buying and playing video games. What would you tell him to do? Wouldn't you tell him that 90% of his problems could be solved if he just gave up that one thing.......that one small thing that millions of people don't do?

I know that sounds crazy, but sometimes I think we give alcohol too much importance. We can convince ourselves that we would be SO deprived if we didn't drink....that it would be so awful and terrible.....

Just trying to look at it in a different perspective...

Don

Comment

Ori, Although I'm pretty new to MWO, I'm not new to trying to stop drinking. I've stopped more times than I can count but usually I failed because I thought I could moderate. Every time I had a few days under my belt I'd say, "I can handle a couple" but I never could. I just couldn't stop at a reasonable amount. Finally something klicked in my brain and I finally thought it's now or never. I think you will get there too. Thing is... You want it, that's the first step. Just keep starting over until it klicks.

Comment

I know you're right, just need the reality check. The reminder of what I'm trying to do. Thanks.

Never again.

Newbies Nest
                                Newbies Nest Roll Call
                                Toolbox
                                Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Working...
                                X