Dedicated to the quit we love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dedicated to the quit we love

This post is dedicated to the quit we love. Abcowboy and I (Addy – All Done Drinkin…Yes!) have put our heads together to create a post for those who are serious about abstaining and want to stay that way. We want to share pearls of wisdom here of how to stay alcohol free. I am editing this as time has gone on and there have been some changes with the frequency we will be checking in. Thus, the site (since Jan 1st, 2016) will become more of a "blog" with some of the new info that I (Addy) glean from a face to face group I will be meeting where I live, and another forum I will be posting on. I value the many people I have met here since 08 and want to keep sharing some of the good info I come across to enable us to all be strong in our quit.

We are hoping this thread will be a way to focus on recovery with a solution based focus. Solution based focus is based on the strengths of a group (rather than the weaknesses) and focuses on what people want to achieve, and helps map out changes necessary for realizing that new vision. The past is over and there is nothing we can do about it. I personally cannot pretend I didn't make a fool out of myself more than once when drunk, embarrassing myself, my husband and my kids. But I can quit drinking and work on solutions to not drink again and put myself at risk in the future.

This week the discussion will be tips and tricks to avoid triggers that may cause relapse. Please share your pearls of wisdom regarding either the topic for the week or anything else in your recovery process that could help others. Here are some of Addy’s suggestions for paying attention to triggers:

Avoid the people, places, and things; that may trigger your use. If you find yourself in a risky environment, be prepared to respond assertively, don’t make excuses, and be willing to leave immediately if need be.

• Make a commitment to quitting. Make your decision public with people who will support and respect you.
    • Decide whether you are ready to sacrifice immediate gratification for more long term benefits.
    • Always bear in mind that your own resolution to success is more important than any other one thing

If you do slip, stop! Do not finish the drink. Sometimes we have to go back and take it one minute at a time.

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make it a new ending.

Addy (All Done Drinking...Yes!) :love:
    Last edited by All done drinking; January 4, 2016, 11:56 PM.
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will" ~Jack Welsh~

God didn't give you the strength to get back on your feet, so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down.

But that was yesterday, and I was a different person then. ~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Nice idea, Addy and Cowboy

One great way to avoid triggers is to stay home and let yourself be a hermit for as long as you need to. Meet your absolute responsibilities but otherwise, treat yourself like you would treat someone you love who is recovering from a serious illness (which, after all, is exactly what is going on). Coddle yourself. Go to bed early or take long baths. Exercise if you want to, not because you think you have to. It is ok not to be social for awhile and then when you're ready, you can socialize on your terms.

If home is where you did your drinking, which was the case for me, you absolutely must have any alcohol that you would consume OUT of the house. If it is there, it is much too easy to drink and the goal is to make it easy not to.

Your brain and body have to go through major changes in the first several weeks and months. For one thing, your metabolism is primed to burn ethanol for energy. It takes awhile to turn on the right genes for metabolizing actual food. You might feet awful during that transition. I certainly did - I was freezing, had no energy, and felt like one big exposed nerve. Just stay in your safe cocoon and know that it will pass.

This is a hard thing to do but there are ways you can make is as easy as possible. And above all, give yourself enough time. All the best, NS

Comment

NS,

Thanks so much for the words of wisdom...and experience. I was talking today to a friend in recovery (since 08) and she warned me about sneaking drinking once my friends know I am in recovery. She said she has heard that many times that folks in recovery let their friends know, thinking it will help, but for some it has a reverse effect and then they start drinking in private because they don't want their friends to know when they relapse and decide to drink. A true closet drinker. So, no alcohol in the house is a good idea.

I had friends stop by last night going out for a drink and I chose the hermit life and said no. Just wasn't appealing to do a happy hour thing and not drink in this stage of my recovery (all of 2 weeks). Way too soon! So I really appreciated your statement: socialize on your terms.

Thanks for the post!

Addy (All Done Drinking...Yes!)
      Last edited by All done drinking; July 31, 2015, 02:15 PM.

God didn't give you the strength to get back on your feet, so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down.

But that was yesterday, and I was a different person then. ~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comment

Yoga has been a lifesaver for me to be honest.
        I used to think it was boring and now the more I do it the better off I am on so many levels: anxiety, allows me to think more clearly, relieves aches and pains... even the dogs like it!
        (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

To make the changes we want,we we need to let go of unhealthy but comfortable patterns that we’re stuck in, the way the trees let their colors change, and finally let go of their leaves altogether”
          ~Marie Lindquist

I have seen some folks struggling on other threads with craving a drink, struggling not to drink (especially on Friday/Saturday nights) when a lot of us who drink/drank feel it's the free ticket night to imbibe. I used to share on the mod board how many studies show that the re-introduction of alcohol is what sets the cravings in motion. That is why I believed that going AF was probably easier than moderating as one doesn't stay stuck in that continuous pattern of craving, craving, craving. From what I have read and researched, when one doesn't keep reintroducing alcohol into their systems the cravings go away. (I hope so!) Day 16 here and although I am not going crazy craving drinking, I am feeling a little crazy as all I am doing is thinking about drinking, and thinking about not drinking a LOT. In this beginning stage I know I have to be careful of triggers so I am avoiding certain friends where drinking was the common denominator of the friendship. Hard to get away from tv ads that can made drinking look so glamorous. I also avoid the wine section of the grocery store. I walk on by VERY fast!

My name is Addy, and I am simply All Done Drinking

Comment

Great idea Cowboy and Addy!
            NoSugar pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. I think it's very important to coddle yourself - be very gentle with yourself and also avoid the negative thinking - that could get bad.
            I know a lot of people reach for junk food, pints of ice cream, chocolate and such when they quit drinking (maybe something to do with the sugar they are no longer consuming in alcohol?) but for me I think it's really important to eat and drink non-alcoholic drinks that are healthy. In the past, oftentimes when I eat like crap I will crack and drink AL but if I eat well and take care of myself then it reinforces the 'stay away from al' mentality for me. So eating healthy is big for me (although I am not going to pass up a huge bowl of poutine! LOL).

I also try and step out of my comfort zone a little bit, sure there are days where I will do absolutely nothing when in early sobriety but I feel more guilty if I do nothing (which there is totally NOTHING wrong with) but I guess that is just my personality so I will write at least one thing I gotta do in my day that will have be step out of my comfort zone, may it be going for a coffee on my own, go for a walk, try a new workout at the gym....(I know that some of these suggestions are a no brainer - but I guess for me sometimes even stepping out of my own home was a challenge).

So yes! For me, exercise, eating healthy, reading, writing and spending time with loved ones is big for me.
            OH and I did ALL my drinking at home...so I definitely know how tricky that is...so for me a routine was key as well...and always...always...had that long bubble bath at the end of the night with sleepy time tea.

Comment

Howdy all, and sorry for the late arrival. I'm down at our family reunion and I'm one of the coordinators so my online time is limited! Addy approached me with this idea and I thought it was great, so lets keep it going and help each other on our journey to sobriety! I will be back later...hopefully lol. Oh, one more thing...

Knitty on your 1 month milestone!
              Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
              Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
              Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Originally posted by abcowboy View Post

Knitty on your 1 month milestone!
                Knitty,

One month IS a big deal. I cling tightly to my 24 hour chip. I will be thrilled when I get 30 days. Congrats!

Comment

Knitty, congrats! Thirty days is enough time to get your head above water, and begin to imagine your life without alcohol. I tell ya, it is great!
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Great job, Knitty! Stay close and keep up the good work. Those early days can be physically rough but it gets so much better.....until AL becomes a non-issue. Keep doing what you are doing!

Comment

Morning everyone! I'll contribute more on Tuesday when we're back home. The late nights are seeing me sleep in much later so not much time for me to reflect and post. I'm off now to cook bacon and eggs for the crew, have a great Sunday!
                      Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Congrats Knitty - must feel amazing! Keep up the awesome work and like Ginger said, stay close.

Comment

Last day of the reunion then travel home! It was great to see and visit with family, but it'll be great to get back home and have things return to normal...

Resolve on your 9 month milestone!

Comment

Resolve, 9 months is huge! That one year mark is right around the corner. Stay close and you'll stay strong.

Addy and ABC, thanks for starting this thread!

Comment

Resolve,

You are staying true to your name! Congrats on your success.

Comment

Working...
                              X