~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Way below zero here this morning, and the sun popping up.
    Turned on the water in the kitchen this morning, and, nothing. Opened the cabinet doors and ran a heater for a few minutes and the flow started, yay! Damn near frozen pipes. Dodged a bullet.
    My old house has radiator heating, which is wonderful, but the previous owners redid the kitchen, and removed the radiator for cabinet space, so there is no heat source in the kitchen, crazy! The temp in the kitchen is about 55 degrees, and the pipes are on an outside wall. No insulation in these old walls either. The rest of the first floor stays about 64. I keep the heat set at 66 to save money, otherwise the heat bill can get crazy. The second floor stays a toasty 69.
    Here's to another 24 please!

Comment

6:30am in Alberta, another 24 for me please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
      [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=20527]Marylou123[/MENTION] abcowboy

Yep, this year is going to be a darn good year not to drink!
      Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Okay, okay [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION], no need to rub in that I need dentures and hearing aids lol. But growing older does have it benefits, as they say, you have to give a little to get a lot!

Mr V, it's funny you mentioned frozen pipes and no insulation. No insulation is unheard of up here, as a matter of fact, the National Energy Board has changed the building code to make more insulation mandatory, along with mandatory high efficiency heating appliances. I imagine your vehicles don't come with block heaters either!

LC, you about halfway through your holiday?

Pauly, I read your post on your thread, just keep moving forward, let's make this your year eh!

QW, -6C here this morning, supposed to get to 0C today, so going to pull out some moose sirloins for the grill tonight!

Didn't mention everyone, don't worry, still got y'all in my sights lol. No quitting on your quit eh!
        Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
        Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
        Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Cold and snowy here in N.Y. I'll have another 24 please!

Comment

Hey Jude, I imagine your hubs is getting all kinds of ot in eh! With the quick rise in temps here, the frost is coming up so I imagine our highway guys will be out early this morning sanding and salting...

Comment

Morning cowboy...yes the hubby's getting all kinds of OT, hasn't had a day off in over 2 weeks. This time of year he works from noon to midnight. Between our work schedules we don't see much of each other these days! I'm asleep when he gets home, and he's asleep when I go to work in the morning. He will be retiring in a little over a year and then I suppose we will have all the time in the world to drive each other nuts. :happy2: Try to stay warm and enjoy your moose steaks on the grill tonight! We do a lot of grilling in the winter as well...something about a hunk of meat on the Barbie in January makes it seem like July, even if for only a few minutes.

To all here at MWO, have an super day!

Comment

Another 24 hours, please & thank you!

Nice to walk with my 4 legged buddy in milder temperatures today. It was a brutal few days when it was too cold to be outside.

I can almost smell that steak cooking Cowboy! Enjoy!!

QW
                AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

[MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION], I didn't mean to be singling you out for negative attention! LOL! We are ALL getting older. I'm 5 full years older than you, young'un! LOL! You'd think I'd be wiser than I am, but I guess I'm a bit of a late bloomer!

Mr. V I'm glad you caught that before the pipes burst! It's surely been dangerously cold around these parts, not being used to those kinds of temps. Do you remember back in the winter of '93-94 when it got down to 25 below here in Ohio? We had frost on the inside walls of this old farmhouse!!

Jude, will you be retiring around the same time as Mr. J? I worked a few years longer than Mr. D. It was quite an adjustment to both be home so much! But Mr. D keeps himself pretty busy around the farm and out in his shop, so it works out pretty well for us.

I'm glad for you and your furry friend that the weather is easing up, QW. Our poor Tessa doesn't like to go out to take care of business in this cold weather. I pretty much have to boot her out! Of course I turn around and let her right back in, ASAP! She doesn't like to be indoors when the weather is halfway decent, so this cold spell is hard on her.

"Fur-lined flip flops"! LOL, Marylou!

Greetings, LC and Pauly!
                  Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Great post Dill!

You and I are about the same vintage if Cowboy is 60. As of Friday I’m officially retirement age! I’ve always maintained though that age is a number on a driver’s license, it all depends how you act. I’ve seen people in their 40’s you’d think were 80 and people, like my friend Stan, a 93 year old decorated WW2 vet, who hasn’t decided what he wants to do when he grows up!

Fur lined flip flops - I love it! Marylou, I’ve vacationed in Florida at Xmas and have come home with no tan and a cold. Maybe I should have had the fur lined flip flops!

QW

24/7/365

Comment

[MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] My husband and I are taking early retirement (62) and he'll be qualified in a year. I have 2 1/2 years to go until then, but I love my job so I'm not too worried about it. We have a lot of projects now, (we keep bees and make our own honey and maple syrup) and when we retire we hope to put more time into that and also the garden. Do you and Mr. D live on a farm? There's always lots of projects if that's the case!

Comment

Jude, I’m as busy in retirement as I was before retiring, maybe busier! I like to tell people that retirement is the best job I’ve ever had.

You never know what life will bring. For us, it was my wife’s diagnosis of Parkinson’s that changed things, dramatically. There have been many appointments with various health care professionals including neurologists and therapists. We are truly fortunate to have received excellent care and my wife has done amazingly well. I can’t remember what the days were like shortly after the diagnosis as I was drinking then but I know that I’m much better able now to be a help.

It sounds like you and Mr. J have made plans for what to do in retirement - good for you! For us, we’ve been travelling while it’s still relatively easy plus we spend as much time as we can with our grandkids. Having hobbies together and apart work for us. Plus my 4 legged buddy gets a lot of my time.

Wow! Homemade honey and maple syrup - two of our favourite food groups!!

Retirement is an exciting time and it is so much better al free!

QW

24/7/365

Comment

Liquor industry pressure puts abrupt stop to unique alcohol warning-label project in Yukon | National Post

Anger.
                          "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

While I relish our warm months, winter forms our character and brings out our best. ~Tom Allen

Hello everyone. Given that most of us are being affected by this arctic winter blast (even [MENTION=20527]Marylou123[/MENTION] with her fur lined flip-flops, lol) I thought the quote would ring true here today! Also, winter can be a metaphor for challenging times, which we all experience when going alcohol free, especially at the beginning.

[MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION], now I see that your 58 must be your birth year! Mine is '52. I retired early at age 62. Yes, Mr. D and I live on a small farm and raise a few cattle. Over the years we have done a little bit of everything. Used to raise bees in fact! LOL. Used to have hens. Used to have horses. We've been thru many stages together. This house was built during the civil war and was an absolute wreck from hard use and neglect which is why we were able to afford it. We remodeled it. We were in our 40's when we moved out here. The house was such a wreck our friends absolutely couldn't understand what we were doing when we sold our perfect house in the suburbs and traded it for this mess! LOL We told them it was our mid-life crisis and we set about fixing it up. It's been a journey, that's for sure! The land had also been neglected so clearing and fencing were ongoing projects over the years.
                            Last edited by dill; January 3, 2018, 08:47 AM.
                            Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Cross-post, @Quitwining and @empyr2al!

Empy, great to see you! I have been wondering about you and hoping all is well with you. Thanks for the link. I'll follow it later for sure.

QW, You are so right about retirement being so busy! My friends and I often shake our heads and wonder out loud how we ever managed to get it all done and still go to work each day when we were still working. Lucky for me I loved my work so that made it loads easier. :happy2: I am so sorry to hear of your wife's condition. You surely never know what life has in store. When was she diagnosed? And if I may ask, is that what led you to quitting?

24 more for me please.
                              Dill

Comment

7:00 am, very cold but no wind or snow and I'm thankful for that. Another 24 please!

QW I'm so sorry to hear about your wife's diagnosis, and I know that the best thing that you can do for her is to stay sober and be present. I guess that we should all be grateful for our health, something we often take for granted. I know for a fact that your little buddy keeps you busy....I have 3 Border Collies, but luckily we have several acres surrounded by invisible fence. They have plenty of room to run, and they get loads of exercise tumbling around with each other.

Dill....Your place sounds like paradise to me! I would much rather live in a modest house in the country (which I do) than in a big fancy house in the city. Everyone is different, and I think that if it's at all possible, live where you are happy. It makes a huge difference in your outlook on life.

I hope that all here at MWO have a super day!

Comment

Working...
                                X