Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Off to the big smoke to meet with Mrs QW’s new neurologist. We’ve heard from a few people in our Parkinson group that this doctor has the MDiety complex and zero bedside manner. We’ll see how it goes and if Mrs QW isn’t happy, we’ll see about getting a new doc.

I bought a carrot cake yesterday to celebrate the start of Year 2. Mrs QW is thrilled that I’ve been successful in my quit.

Monday I have surgery on my neck which will hopefully repair damage done in a car accident years ago. I’m looking forward to being pain free!

Have a great af Friday everyone.

QW
    AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
    F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Another 24 please, 11:14 in Calgary. +9C out and sunny, yay!

Kenny Loggins? I am going to see what I can find out about him- so many people have the same problem as us.
      Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
      "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Great quote yesterday [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION]! I also didn't know that Kenny Loggins had demons as well. I bet that we would be shocked by the number of people in the same boat as us.

Another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

Happy Saturday Cafe! QW I’m curious to see how you made out with the zero personality doctor?? Looking forward to a lazy Saturday. No plans in the books for today. Hope everyone has a great day. Another 24 for me please and thank you.

Comment

Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.
            ~John Wooden~

I guess this thought can be applied in many ways, but the first that comes to mind for me is that there are many ways to enjoy my time and just because drinking is no longer one of them it doesn't mean I can't enjoy my time in other ways. I think by now we have all come to understand that. And in fact we can enjoy life even more!

Cowboy, thank you for those Youtubes. They were fun!

Naryilly did you you find anything out about Kenny Loggins? I did a brief search but turned up nothing.

Rava, I am not going to let myself get worked up about the coronavirus. I hope our public health officials are doing what they can, but we will just have to carry on. I am putting up a few extra supplies in case there should be any temporary shortages at the store, but other than that I am not panicking about it.

24 more please and thank you.
            Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

6:25am in Alberta, I'll have 24 more please, and thanks...

-3C (27F) in Veg this morning, heavy snowfall warnings in effect from Lloydminster all the way to Vegreville for this morning through to Sunday mid-day. Should make for an interesting drive back home!

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
              [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=1354]narilly[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
              Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
              Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
              Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Safe travels, ABC. I haven't driven in snow in so long, I'm afraid I'd end up in a ditch!

Good quote, Dill!

I'll take another 24, please and thank you!

Comment

Today’s quote is just what I needed to hear. There are things I can no longer do and restrictions in my life now because of both my knee (3 surgeries on it so far; 15 years of pain with it -so need to be careful and baby it here on out) and my alcoholism/sobriety. These lifestyle modifications and impacts come up in my life with fair regularity, but I need to focus on what I can do, and try to be at peace with letting the rest go.

Like, so what if HB’s bro is taking his wife along to their group business convention in Las Vegas in March, but I am not included? Truth be told, I no longer want to be on one of their drink-centric, boozy trips. And I’ve tried gambling enough, but honestly just don’t like it and find it boring. So, there are a lot of positives in just being able to let go of these things, and tailoring a life that includes what I can do, and that suits me.
                  Last edited by Slo; February 29, 2020, 08:57 AM.
                  Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

5:57 am in Vegas another 24
                    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Happy Leap Year day!

Well, I just feel a great sense of relief that your shoulder stayed together in your fall, Jude. It is so easy to run to our habitual pain reliever, and good job staying away from that!

So you made it to Vegreville safely, but now have the snow to contend with on the way home, Cowboy! Wish you could just stay another day.

Oh, I sure hope your neck surgery heals the pain, QW!

Wonderful news that you will have your good friends as neighbors both back home and in Florida, Rava! I wish you could have the same with your sisters, Ginger.

Did you get a Lenten fish fry yesterday, Dill? I ended up going out to eat and then to a basketball game, but was out for delicious Thai food! Now an evening out like that is something I can do easily now while the others around me are drinking at the restaurant and the game. Even though something embarrassing often happens to call attention to the fact that I’m not drinking. Like last night the waitress brought me a big pink Cosmopolitan instead of a Clausthaler! Then there’s the, “Oh, you want the alcohol-free beer?” conversation in front of everyone. Oh well!

My extra day this year is going to be AF!
                      Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Our appointment with Mrs QW’s neurologist went well yesterday and Frank & Blunt didn’t have to make an appearance. She’s all business so we can see why some might feel that she lacks in bedside manners but we’re OK with how she looked after us. She prescribed some additional meds plus tweaked the timing of the doses as there can be peaks and valleys on a daily basis.

Slo, avoiding drinking situations can be tough but once you’ve seen others overindulge when you’re not drinking makes it easier I’ve found. I like your attitude! If you don’t drink alcohol and don’t enjoy gambling, not going to Vegas makes perfect sense. And you should be proud of your resolve when a server makes comments about choosing a non-al beverage. None of the servers business and I’d make sure the tip reflected her attitude.

Have a great af Saturday everyone.

QW
                        AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                        F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Thanks for the week of great quotes [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION]!

I too, am not going into panic mode over the corona virus. I saw an article in the news that a lot of people are staying away from the brand of Corona beer because they think that that they can contract the virus by drinking it. Good Lord! I'm much more anxious about what the panic over this whole thing is going to do to the economy. People are being advised that in the future they may have to quarantine themselves at home for 2 weeks. Just thinking about the impact of that is truly frightening! I'm sure that there are a lot of people stocking up on the booze but I won't be one of them!
                          [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] I guess that I wouldn't worry so much about a doctor's bedside manner, as long as they know their stuff!

Be careful driving cowboy!

Another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

Breaking away from the addiction cycle is completely freeing! Living without the thing that almost killed us makes us strong/badass! Hope everyone has a great Sunday. We are headed out to lunch with a couple that enjoys drinking. I already know I’m getting a Diet Coke with lime. Cowboy safe travels home. Hope everyone has a great AF Sunday. Another 24 for me please and thank you.

Comment

Loved the quote, Rava! I hope your lunch with the drinkers isn't too trying for you. I find it a bit entertaining to observe people who are drinking while I am not. It really doesn't bother me anymore.

Slo, I did not go to a fish fry on Friday as it turns out altho we did get fish sandwiches at Wendy's on Thursday. I think it is so ironic that the Catholic tradition of my youth to abstain from meat on Fridays in Lent has morphed into a cultural celebration of sorts. How times change! Those fish sticks we used to have on Friday nights were really awful and a true sacrifice when I was a child. Today's fried cod fillets on the other hand.... I haven't come up with a Lent idea yet but I will think about it this morning.

Mr. D and I just finished watching a 4 part documentary on Netflix called The Pharmacist. It was a truly compelling true story and a good history of the past 20+ years of the opioid epidemic in the US. It was done by a meticulous pharmacist living in St. Bernard Parrish, New Orleans LA who lost his son due to crack addiction. I would like to recommend it for any who are interested in the topic, but I must caution you that it is at times wrenching.

QW, I don't need a doctor with good bedside manner as much as some people seem to either. I too put more stock in the competence and accuracy. I'm glad you and Mrs. Q were pleased.

24 more please and thank you.
                              Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

6:05am in Alberta, 24 for me and everyone else who needs them please, and thanks...

-8C (17F) in Vegreville this morning, the storm has passed so it should be a decent drive home.

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                                @Juse58 [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
                                Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                                Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                                Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Working...
                                X