Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Good Morning All!

It's day twenty and I'm feeling good! Another good night's sleep. Committed to another 24.

I left a post in the Nest, so running low on time after reading the GOOD thoughts here. Early drinking and a developed habit and then coping mechanism is included for many alcoholics. The journey out being a self reflective process...yes. I do think it is a multi faceted issue. I have all of the concepts/thoughts involved in my abuse of alcohol. I never learned proper coping skills in the beginning of life. If we start drinking because we are shy, that in itself is an emotional issue. We aren't comfortable in our own skin enough to socialize without altering ourselves to feel acceptable...to deal with the peer pressure. That's a hard age. Our society sets us up for drinking in many ways. It perpetuates it. Sometimes we watch our parents do it and/or our peers. Pauly made it through all those years and then used it to cope with her sleep issues which rewired her brain to be addicted to it. Alcohol works in the brain like benzo drugs do. They are highly addictive and as the brain adapts, she needed more and more just like benzos to be effective. My mind wonders why she couldn't sleep? Was there stress involved? More responsibilities? Emotional weight on her shoulders? This is really a deep conversation with many tentacles. We are simple and yet complex as a living entity. I appreciate all the comments. It opens up a very important topic.

Regardless, we are all going to have another 24 hours AF! That makes this moment a good one.
    The Drunkards Progress. From the first glass to the grave...

Comment

Late check in here after a busy day. Another 24 af hours almost over!

Spent part of the morning at an indoor walking track with my wife. Her Parkinson’s is easier for her to deal with if she has regular exercise and with our winter weather, outdoor walking has been too difficult.

Then we get home and my 4 legged little buddy is expecting her walk. 65 minutes and 6.3kms later she was happy.

QW
      AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
      F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

I really enjoyed reading all the posts! I can't comment on the genetic part as my mom and dad never had more than 1 drink, that I saw at least. My maternal grandpa was an alcoholic, and so was my uncle, but he was my uncle-in-law, not sure if that's a word lol. Anyway, my drinking definitely progressed through the years. I guess the bottom line is that we recognize and admit our problem, then take whatever steps we as individuals think we need to take to find our way out of the alcohell we created for ourselves!
        Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
        Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
        Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

5:00 am and a quiet day here in N.Y. Not much to say this morning as the caffeine hasn't kicked in yet! Here's to another 24 for myself and anyone else that needs it.

Comment

34f here in Jersey, snow on the ground and sun shine falling. Committing to another 24!
            “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
            Newbies Nest Roll Call
            Toolbox
            Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Morning to the Cafe.

It's 21 days and 3 whole weeks. Yippee. You bet I'll take another 24.

Up early this morning. Couldn't go back to sleep, so another one of those nights I don't like, but at least I'm not hungover from alcohol.

ABC, add we have to 'WANT' to quit to stay sober, imo. Yes, there are dry drunks out there as they call them, but I never truly wanted to quit. I felt I had to, so I'd slip back into it again. The changes I'm slowly making in my life to rebuilt it into a new way of living I believe will paddle me forward to stay sober. I can't foresee the future, but I'm dealing with those trip wires which can be many things. I've wanted to do and learn some things throughout many years of my life. I'm starting to do some of those things now. A little bit each day over this year should bring results by next year.

Have an AF day everyone.
              The Drunkards Progress. From the first glass to the grave...

Comment

30F with a light dusting of snow, the sun is starting to poke through.
                As for genetics, I know they play a role with me. My dad was alcoholic, as was his dad, and his dad. Long line. A few on my mom's side as well.
                24 more here please.

Comment

"Your attitude will determine your success in life. If your outlook on life is a positive one, you will find life will be easier. Everything comes down to your own attitude. And, only you are the one who decides what type of attitude you have, it is your choice!" - Catherine Pulsifer

We all need to develop an attitude of gratitude!

Exact same temp as yesterday, clear and cold!

6:30am in Alberta, 24 more for me please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                  [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=20895]Orimus[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=24140]Crusader[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
                  Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                  Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                  Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Good quote, Cowboy! I think it takes more effort to be positive than to be negative, but the pay off is well worth it.

24 more, please.
                    Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

5:38 am in Vegas,another 24 please Crusader,was thinking about your post and was thinking back to that time in my life when I started drinking,I was searching I guess,unsettled in my life didn't want to raise my kids in Vegas but didn't want to go back to struggling to look for work as we had done living in Utah,that was awful! Moved to Vegas and the money just flowed but I hated living here...I think that's what started my problems,also genetics but honestly I went for years without drinking so I don't know how much that plays into it unless its brain wiring who knows
                      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Congrats on your 3 weeks [MENTION=24140]Crusader[/MENTION], and I couldn't agree with you more! Very early in my attempts to quit drinking I phoned my Uncle just for moral support. He told me the secret to sobriety is that you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink. And he told me to remind myself of that every time I got a craving or a trigger hit me. That advice has worked well for me on more than one occasion!

Comment

I think our drinking habits were very similar [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION], except that I started much sooner than you lol. Regular drinking turned into drinking more and more, then it became a habit, then it became our only means of coping. Bubba and I used to be drinking buddies, she was able to put it down and I couldn't. Of course I used all the excuses, nasty divorce, huge child support payments, greedy ex, etc. etc. etc... I could slip back into that lifestyle so easy if I let myself, that's why we always have to be on guard...

Comment

Hi everyone! It's 7:17pm here and I appreciate very much the thoughtful posts from yesterday.. nice that you brought up the topic, AB..
                            I'm at the end of the day and could almost fall into bed right now.. but I don't feel like getting up at 4am..
                            so a bit of brainless reading/watching is what I'll be doing for the next hour or so.
                            Here's to another 24af hours!
                            Last edited by lifechange; March 8, 2018, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I see [MENTION=24140]Crusader[/MENTION] that you must have your “Recieve Private Messages” feature turned off. I was going to pm you about joining in on doing the daily inspiration posts. I can’t take credit for the idea, it was [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] who mentioned to me about asking you.

I used to always do them until it seemed to me I was using quotes that always seemed to have the same message. I think it was [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] who suggested taking turns, and it was a great suggestion as you can see.

So this is an invite to any of the members who would be interested in getting in on the schedule to take turns at it! You can either pm me, email me, or just sign up here on the thread!

Comment

Working on another 24 hours!

Hope everyone is having a great af day.

QW
                                AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                                F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Working...
                                X