• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

6:33 am in Vegas,another 24 please
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good Morning Cafe members.

Day 24 and committed to another 24.

I left this in the nest this morning, so sharing in other places.

It's an up and down journey when we set out to change our lives. We often ponder about how alcohol affects our emotions at certain time periods in our quit, but I am not thinking about it in those terms this time around. I see my ups and downs in a more self reflective way. I'll have moments of clarity and joy followed by moments of a depressed state. The depressed states appear to be triggered from the past, present or worry toward the future and most importantly, not being who I should be, who I was born to be. So many things come into play in those low moments. These are often trigger moments to get a drink, but my tool box and gained knowledge are helping to have victory over those moments and feelings. I know that the alcohol will only prolong the existing struggles and inhibit intelligent, informed thought toward solving them. After my recent high to a low, I will humble myself to those periods and realize my feelings where 'I don't want to drink' can change to the opposite rapidly. I'll acknowledge this is not a stable journey, but one worth taking. The positive in these changing moods is that I am learning something in each of them. So, I can view them as a positive instead of a negative in the rear view mirror. It's where the growth is for me...those changes on a deeper level and sometimes not so deep, I need to work on each day. When you see these changes in my thoughts here, it will make more sense. It probably already does to those who have already taken the journey and climbed through some of this jungle.

Emerson is speaking to me today.

“I appeal from your customs. I must be myself. I cannot break myself any longer for you, or you. If you can love me for what I am, we shall be happier. If you cannot, I will still seek to deserve that you should. I must be myself. I will not hide my tastes or aversions. I will so trust that what is deep is holy, that I will do strongly before the sun and moon whatever inly rejoices me and the heart appoints. If you are noble, I will love you; if you are not, I will not hurt you and myself by hypocritical attentions. If you are true, but not in the same truth with me, cleave to your companions; I will seek my own. I do this not selfishly but humbly and truly. It is alike your interest, and mine, and all men’s, however long we have dwelt in lies, to live in truth. Does this sound harsh to-day? You will soon love what is dictated by your nature as well as mine, and if we follow the truth it will bring us out safe at last.—But so may you give these friends pain. Yes, but I cannot sell my liberty and my power, to save their sensibility. Besides, all persons have their moments of reason, when they look out into the region of absolute truth; then will they justify me and do the same thing.
      The populace think that your rejection of popular standards is a rejection of all standard, and mere antinomianism; and the bold sensualist will use the name of philosophy to gild his crimes. But the law of consciousness abides.”
      ― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance and Other Essays

Day 24...Byrd, I would like a camouflage hat if you have one in your closet when my 30 day mark is achieved.

Have a great day, all! Life is short and a precious gift we are given to grow into who we are born to be.
      The Drunkards Progress. From the first glass to the grave...

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

The barbecue got dug out so there’s ribeyes for supper tonight! Also roasted potatoes and sweet peppers. Some good!

QW
        AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
        F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Never cut a tree down in the wintertime. Never make a negative decision in the low time. Never make your most important decisions when you are in your worst moods. Wait. Be patient. The storm will pass. The spring will come. ~Robert H. Schuller

This seems to me to be very sound advice and if followed would save many an alcoholic/addict from picking up a drink during a long fought for abstinence.

I read an article about daylight savings time that said this is the 100th year of it. It was started in this country in the year 1918. It was likely as unpopular then as it is today and IMO truly should be abolished. Here's the article if you are interested in further reading: Daylight saving time 218: When do we spring ahead and change clocks in March? | lehighvalleylive.com

Committed to 24 more.
          Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Another good quote by dill! Wish that I'd seen that before I picked up that first drink again..... I too, believe that daylight savings time needs to go. Anyway, here's to another 24 and thank you.

Comment

34f here in Jersey and 8:07 am and the sun is just coming out to play. Committing to another 24!
              “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
              Newbies Nest Roll Call
              Toolbox
              Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Early morning to the cafe.

Day 25 and tipping my coffee cup to another 24 hours.

Wise quote, Dill. I've learned that one the hard way. I bet we all have. Intoxication certainly initiates bad decisions when we are feeling at our worst and motivates impulsive actions. We could compile lists of mistakes made while abusing this substance from a profiteering industry. The world is full of lies and full of truths. We can't find those truths while drowning in alcohol. We need clear minds to navigate living a good life. There are too many predators out their peddling deceit. They once tried to prohibit alcohol. Maybe that should have been left in place, but free choice is a human right. It's just too bad we often fall for the societal norms.

Have a good AF day, all!
                The Drunkards Progress. From the first glass to the grave...

Comment

29F and sunny again, just missed the 3 inches of snow south of here.
                  Must be deep thoughts day, thanks dill and crusader.
                  I never really understood daylight savings time, I'll read the article in a bit.
                  I always thought, if the extra light was needed, why not just change the clock, 1/2 hour, and leave it there forever.
                  Smoked a piece of salmon last night, yum.
                  24 more please.

Comment

6:40am in Alberta, another 24 for me please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                    [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=24140]Crusader[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
                    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

5:43 am in Vegas,another 24 please
                      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Yep, I've only made one good decision while I was drinking; I have to quit! Every other decision is one I wish I could take back...

Great suggestion Mr V! But since when do the law makers ever listen to common sense!
                        Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                        Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                        Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Late checking in at 8:30pm! I'm embarrassed to say I'm beat and will probably head straight to bed..
                          I hope everyone is well and into another 24 hour af day.. :love:

Comment

Another 24 hours please and thank you.

Mr V - smoked salmon! I love grilling salmon over charcoal but am trying to convince Mrs QW of the importance of getting a smoker. All suggestions welcome!

The ribeyes were fabulous. No tofu in this house!!

QW
                            AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                            F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

6:53 here in Jersey and it's still dark out. 33f and we're expecting more snow from winter storm Skylar with a weather advisory until noon. Committing to another 24!
                              “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
                              Newbies Nest Roll Call
                              Toolbox
                              Cattleman Cafe

Comment

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.'
                                ~Eleanor Roosevelt

And it goes without saying that facing problems head on without running to the bottle also can be done in like manner and will make you stronger and better. Quitting drinking in and of itself helps one gain strength, courage and confidence.

I am still struggling with the time change adjustment. I agree with your alternative plan Mr. V, of splitting the difference by a half an hour and stopping the change all together!

Raising my cup of coffee to 24 more!
                                Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Working...
                                X