~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Grateful for all of you here.......Another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

So, I drank again last night. I guess that I need to figure out why I keep doing this to myself. I just don't understand why I keep sabotaging my efforts to stay sober. I made it through some very tempting situations for over a year, so I keep asking myself "why now"? I still don't have the answer as to why I started drinking again after a nine year quit, and I really don't want to go back to that dark place again.

[MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION].....how are you doing? Hopefully, those bottles of wine are staying on the shelves, and not jumping into your cart.

Sorry about your truck woes cowboy. It's always a tough decision to buy a new vehicle, or keep dumping money into the old one.

Asking for 24 hours please, and thank you.

Comment

Still cold and snow covered, warming up to the mid 50's (F) by Saturday.
        I here ya about the truck, Cowboy! Both my vehicles are 20 years old with 200,000+ miles. Every time you take one in, it's $300 minimum! Mrs V desperately wants a new car, but I'm such a tight-wad, LOL.
        That's the million dollar question, Jude, why do we still crave a drink years after our last. It took me years to get to the point of quiting, and even after a year and a half, boom out of nowhere.
        Here's to 24 more for all of us, please!

Comment

QW thanks for the laughs. I know the feeling about being outsmarted by our devices! I'm never going to get one of those Alexas or any such device in my home. I'm sure in the end it would be giving me commands instead of me giving it commands! Anyone who has seen the movie 2001 a Space Odyssey will have fear of such technology.

All I can say to you about your truck cowboy is OUCH! I just recently hit a deer on the way to the coffee shop. The damage was minor: replacement of a turn signal. It came to $250! But then of course came all the suggested things that they found and we were soon up over $1000.00. Like you, we went ahead with the work because it was definitely time for it. Our new dilemma is that we own a 2012 Volt. What kind of service can we expect in the future? (Volt has been discontinued.)

Mr. V I wish I had saved my recording of the game so I could have played the "Where's Mr. V?" game looking for you. Next time wear one of those Waldo hats, would you? Ha!

Thanks for the excellent quote, LC. A good "present" is a gift we give ourselves. I believe that was a previous quote somewhere along the lines.

[MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION], :hug: It's a sneaky enemy. I hope you are feeling ok this morning. (Well, maybe I hope you're feeling the deterrent of a hangover.) You are going to have to put some external stops in place. Change routes, get a chaperone to ride with you, talk to someone....I don't know. You'll think of something! Just keep coming back to the café and never give up.:love:

24 more, please.
          Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

5:45am in Alberta, I'll have another 24 please, and thank you...

Decently mild here again, but there's been thick fog everyday for almost a week now, and more freezing rain/drizzle on the way.

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
            [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Got a few things to say, but need to ponder and maybe take the day and make sure they come out right. Maybe I'll put my thoughts in a Word doc, then copy and paste...

To true about smart devices [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION], but I agree, Hank is definitely smarter than me lol.
              Last edited by abcowboy; November 29, 2018, 08:04 AM.
              Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
              Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
              Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Jude, just keep coming back. The one thing I've learned from experience is the more I beat myself up about drinking, the more I want to do it. Dust yourself off and make THIS day AF. This is the only day you have to get through.

Another 24 please and thank you!

Comment

You know, I thought about this most of the day, not sure really how to word it, but here goes…

I try and give solid help and support, wisdom that I’ve gained through my own experiences, but when it comes to slips and relapses I’m treading into new territory. I tried hard a few times to quit, only to return to drinking. The longest period I was sober, before now that is, was 7 months and still I started drinking again. I don’t really consider those times as being sober, just that I was AF for a period of time. You see, throughout those previous times, I white-knuckled it, thinking that time alone from booze would be all that I needed. Looking back, I know for a fact that I didn’t want to quit, that somehow I could force myself to be a normal drinker. That never happened, I never accepted, let alone embraced, my sobriety.

So when I read about others slipping or relapsing, I pay attention. Trying to learn and gather new tools to help me maintain my sobriety. The one thing I have learned from reading is that no one really seems to know the real answer for slips and relapses. Sure, everyone comes up with reasons or excuses, but not the actual reality of starting drinking again.

My opinion, forget about why, there’s only one answer for that, we’re alcoholics is why! Forget about how many years you had sober, that will just scare you, thinking you'll probably end up drinking again anyway. And forget about how hard quitting really is, it isn’t that hard once you embrace your sobriety. All you have to think about is the inspirational quote that I read many years ago that inspired me to start a 24 Hour Club:

“Don’t think about what can happen in a month. Don’t think about what can happen in a year. Just focus on the 24 hours in front of you and do what you can to get closer to where you want to be.” ― Eric Thomas

That is what sobriety is all about, the next 24 hours….
                  Last edited by abcowboy; November 29, 2018, 07:31 PM.

Comment

One last thing for tonight; your quote today was spot on [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION], what we do in the present, the day we are awake in, will determine part of where our future lies...
                    Last edited by abcowboy; November 29, 2018, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Another mild day for late November, I’ll take all this weather I can get!

Good news today, Mrs QW was able to pick up a 3 month supply of her meds (the name brand and not a generic) from our pharmacy. We were concerned we might not be able to get the meds because of a world wide shortage. The stress level in the house went a way, way down.

Cowboy, with hunting season ending tomorrow, I’m guessing the deer we haven’t seen in a month will reappear Saturday!

Hope everyone enjoyed their Thursday af.

QW
                      AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                      F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

(((((((( [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] )))))))))))))) Big hugs
                        "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Thinking about you a lot Jude and sending love your way.:hug: Try to be extra gentle with yourself right now, just focussing on the day you're in.. not the past couple or those to come. I think it's important for you to get yourself back into a stable place before focussing too much on the why's..

I've had such a hard time finding good quotes this week.. glad you posted the one you did yesterday, AB.. it was perfect.
                          Running off to work, but I'll be back this afternoon with one.
                          Asking for 24 af hours for all of us..xx
                          Last edited by lifechange; November 30, 2018, 01:03 AM.

Comment

5:55am in Alberta, 24 more for me please, and thanks...

Another nice morning, no fog and no rain!

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                            [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!

Comment

That's great news about Mrs QW's meds [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION]! Hopefully the supply will continue!

Yep, today is the last day of hunting season, so headed out to Adam's for the last day. The count is wildlife - 9, hunters - 1 and I imagine it will end wildlife - 10, hunters - 1, but I'll keep my fingers crossed lol.

I'm thinking (and hoping) you're back on the right track [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION], just remember that you never have to face anything alone! All of us here in the THC and Café lean on each other when we need to, just the way it should be!

Comment

32F and cloudy this morning but no snow! Think that I can handle that!

I agree with cowboy 100% that we drink because we are alcoholics....simple as that. Sure, stress and life events can cause triggers that might bring about a relapse, but "normal" people don't immediately pick up a bottle when times get hard. I have no idea what caused me to start drinking again, but I do know that the bottom line is I cannot drink, no matter what. Up until I recently took that first drink, I was very happy and content with my sobriety. I suspect that a part of me really wants to believe that I can moderate my drinking, but my latest experience tells me that I can't. Alcohol will eventually lead us alcoholics into a very dark place....not where I want to be!

QW....I'm so glad that you were able to get the medicine for Mrs. QW! Reading your posts about the struggles that you are both facing, makes me grateful for all that I have, and my problems are so trivial compared to yours. Thank you for sharing your stories about the journey that both of you are going through.

Thanks again to all of you for your words of support, it means everything to me! :thanks:

So grateful for another 24 hours and thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X