• Show
Clear All

Re: One Step at a Time - February 2017

Lost our power. Rain and wind.
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Looks like a setting has been changed. Each post had the Re: and the name of the thread
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

I noticed that too Nora,thought I was trippin haha
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

First of all congratulations to AG and Wildflowers for winning another battle. It's a big deal to you as well as the ones supporting you.

I'm sure you know that when you get that craving a sugar hit helps. Most alcoholics are hypoglycemic and that's why one drink is never enough, our bodies are craving the sugar. We can fix that later with the help of N.S. The diet suggested in Fix Addiction in 7 days - or something like that really helps. Slow release or protein keeps our blood sugar stable. It's the spiking that gets us in trouble.

Rusty where are you or where were you in Toronto? My old home.

Techie, I am so pleased with your treatments.

Hi Liz, stay calm and carry on.

I wish I could give a positive report today, but......

Went to my 11:30 apt, and was told they needed for me to settle the whole bill before proceeding. Dental departures didn't tell me that, nor did they tell me no one uses ATM. They had suggested cash, not a great idea when traveling alone and I only brought $300.00 They also suggested traveler's checks, which aren't used anymore or bank transfer which I thought I could do here - wrong! I tried with both Chase and Fidelity investments and couldn't do it online. I got bout 70% done and then the transaction stops.

I asked the hotel for an outside line - nope. My cell phone can't pick up a signal. So, will have to return to the US tomorrow and pay a fortune for a taxi to take me back to Yuma. Aargh!

Dental Departures just didn't provide vital information.

Nora, I'm going to check your weather to see if that's causing your power outage.
          Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Thank you SK. Sorry you are having difficulties with the dental stuff. Hope you get it all sorted. I am in Huntington Beach where it is flooded. Heading north in the morning for a 6 hr drive in the rain. Have a great weekend, Steppers!
            “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

Hey all,Techie,you be safe my dear can't believe California is getting hit so hard and we're getting part of it,really don't feel like going to work I'll probably do less than 10 haircuts oh well,Nora,I'm gonna PM you cuz I had something weird happen want o see if you did too,much love to all have a happy AF Saturday
              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Happy un-hungover Saturday morning! Yay!

SK - Wow, you would think they would include something as important as that! What a pain in the ^&*. I'm sorry you have to deal with this . . . I am assuming you have to go back there to finish the treatment?? I don't know the area, but sometimes we have been able to get a one-day rental car for super cheap (e.g. $30) so you may want to check that out if possible. For us, that was in Seattle though . . .

pauly - I hope work goes well! I'm sure for some of your clients this is the most human touch and compassionate listening they get in a month. Some of them may really need that. Others . . . yep.

Yes, Nora, when do you go to Oregon? Or did you do that already? How is your mom?

Liz, you have a lot going on! Fun stuff though. Aren't you glad you are sober to enjoy these special times with your kids? I am noticing that I am so much calmer and focused with my boys. I LOVE THAT.

Rusty, I hope you have a chance to just "be" in your house. You travel so much. I can't say I've ever showed up at work "drunk" (I wasn't a morning drinker) but certainly hungover. But we all know how quickly that disease can progress . . . yikes, poor soul, I hope he/she can get some help soon.

Techie, this weather lately . . . I hate driving in the rain. That is such a beautiful part of the world and I hope it clears so you can enjoy it!

Ok, enough rambling. I am NOT going to work today. NO. Off to walk the dog in a bit with a friend. Its a beautiful sunny day here and I am rested, relaxed, clear headed and ready to enjoy it!

Comment

Good morning all! Taking my time getting this beautiful Saturday started. Gotta get my butt on that darn treadmill!

Skendall, wow. How frustrating! I hope it all gets straightened out, somehow. Will you go back to complete the dental work? How long is the taxi ride?

AG, enjoy the dog walking. It's supposed to be beautiful here today too. We will be walking Lucy later as well. Right now we are cuddling:love:

Techie, be careful driving in the rain! I just hate that, but it's better than snow.

Pauly, seems to me 10 haircuts is a lot! I would imagine Saturday would be your busiest day? Hang in there.

Nora, hope the power came back on. It's ok for awhile but it gets old real fast! Ask me how I know. Board games and glow sticks, fun for the blankie fort too?

Rusty, hope you are home and able to enjoy a quiet weekend.

Mark finally got word about his job rotations. I believe he will put in for a transfer to Belgium, North Carolina or a transfer within the company here. If he stays here he would be required to travel extensively. I'm excited for him but I am also kind of sad. My nest for sure will be empty Next week CJ will be going to st Croix to help joe with the house for two weeks. Mark is going to Germany for a week for business. Ugh, I gotta tell you I'm afraid of what I am feeling. Is it possible to be excited and sad at the same time? I will for sure be sticking close here. Hoping my run will clear my head a bit.

Comment

Hello all

Our electricity came on sometime after 2:00 this morning. Amazing how much you depend on electricity. I broke out some glow sticks that I had. That really helped along with our candles. Mom was fascinated by the glow sticks. Questioned me about them over & over. Kept telling me that she was going to get some of those to take home. She still says something about going home once in a while.
                    Son & I played a game of dominoes. After a little bit Mom said she wanted to come watch so we got her settled in with us. She was fascinated and said she wanted to learn this. I could see her counting. She & Dad played dominoes daily for years & years. Sort of sad that she doesn't remember that. But, good that she had some memory of the game.

I leave on the 27th to go to Oregon. Honestly, I'm feeling stressed out about it. But, just breathing and letting it go. So many emotions running thru me - sadness that I am emptying out my parents house, stress about dealing with the stuff (and my brother), stress about missing work again, stress about leaving hubby to take care of mom. But, I am just taking it one step at a time. I can only do what I can do.

This is the article that I was talking about gratitude - Living with Gratitude
                    Here is a trick that helped me get into the habit of adding gratitude to my day. This is akin to The 21-Day No Complaint Challenge, which I’ve talked about previously. This one is called the Thankfulness Challenge, and it was authored by Melody Beattie.

Here’s how I did it: For 25 days straight, when I awoke, I wrote out everything for which I was thankful and sent the list to a trusted friend.

Seems easy enough. Not very challenging, right?

But here’s the catch: I also had to write the things for which I wasn’t thankful, but I had to write as though I was thankful for them.

For example, the night before my son’s ninth birthday, he had an anxiety attack. Of course he did. He was about to take an airplane trip by himself to Los Angeles. I was up with him from 1 until 3:30 or 1:30 until 3; I don’t remember. It was just him and me – and his brain going 100 miles per minute. I comforted him as best I could and just laid in the bed with him, listening to his mania. In the morning, when I went to write in my little gratitude journal, I wanted to say “I am not thankful that I was up with my son.” But instead I wrote, as the instructions required, in the positive: “I am thankful that I was up with my son for so long.”

The words I wrote were not able to express tone. Of course I wrote them with sarcasm, but when I looked at my words, I read, without even a hint of the sarcasm, “I am thankful that I was up with my son for so many hours in the middle of the night.”

And that changed things.

There had been magic. I was no longer upset that I was tired. I was actually grateful for our time together and that Emmett had wanted to spend time with me, of all people! All I had done differently was to write that I was thankful for it.
                    Anyway, I am trying to practice this. I was getting frustrated last night with explaining about the glow sticks over & over. But, when I flipped it around in my head, I was able to say - I am thankful that Mom enjoyed playing with the glow sticks. Not always easy to change it to gratitude but it is helpful to me.

Well, once again, I have made this all about me. What else is new. LOL
                    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

SK - So sorry that you had to deal with the extra pain/aggravation with the dental work. You really would think that would have been said right up front before any work was started. Hope you get it all taken care of quickly.

Pauly - hope that today wasn't too boring at work. I really need to get my hair cut & colored. Oh well - not happening today. I didn't know that you were getting rain too. I heard that quite a few trees have fallen. They are weak from the long drought.

Techie - safe travels. Sounds like you might be driving into another one.

AG - Happy un-hungover Saturday to you too!! I'm glad that you are enjoying YOU today. It's important.

Rusty - I'm so glad you are home too. I hope that you REST. Sad about the employee. You wonder how somebody gets to that point and then I think back on things I've done. Wow - who would have thought I would be hiding bottles, etc. So very HAPPY not to have to deal with that anymore.

Liz - you never make it all about you. This is exciting news here. I can so imagine that you will be lonely. Empty nest. Good for recognizing it and being proactive. Stick close and talk out the feelings. I think we all tend to isolate when we feel fragile.

WF - How are you doing? I still haven't checked out that movie Burnt. I was going to check that out.

Nursie - you have been sounding so positive. I saw you are listening to 'the art of tidying'. I have found lately that I get more on edge of things are too cluttered. I've never been like that. Interesting.

Well - I'm going to post this and get busy a little bit. It's 10:30 and I'm still lazing around. I'll pretend to do something for a little bit.
                      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Wow Nora! Powerful little snip it you shared there, thank you so much! Have I mentioned lately, I love you?:heartbeat:

Comment

Nora, on the way here from Yuma, we were in California for a few minutes and we got roaring wind, flooded streets and power outages at the hotel. I still haven't been able to transfer the money from Mexico, so will have to go back to Yuma Tuesday. I crossed the border 2 x this a.m. but the ordered cab didn't show up, returned and repeated the same procedure. Bank closed at 1:00 - missed it.

He put the caps on and they look fab, except for the canine which is too long. They will fix that next week.
                          Enlightened by MWO

Comment

I thought this was a good quote. :heartbeat:
                            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

SK - sorry this is such a hassle. How long will it take once you give them the payment?
                              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Nora, so I know California was having a drought. I guess this will help the situation. Is it unusual to get this kind of weather?

Kept myself busy today. Got a lot of things done that I had been putting off for awhile. Have a good night. . .

Comment

Working...
                                X