One Step at a Time - Dry (And Healthy, Self-Caring) July 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One Step at a Time - Dry (And Healthy, Self-Caring) July 2018

Hi guys! I read back and sounds like everyone is good, busy. I went to the beach today and stayed all day. It was super hot today, 97, but at the beach there was a nice cool sea breeze. It was lovely and not even crowded. There was traffic coming home. FaceTimed with CJ tonight, so a long full day for me. Promise to comment more tomorrow!

Comment

Happy Tuesday.
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Good Morning!

Liz-loved your beach picture....but 97! Wow, so glad you could just jump in the water and the breeze was a bit of a relief. I understand your dilemma as far as moving your dad further away to a nicer facility or keeping him closer to your mom to make it easier to visit him. We had the same dilemma with my mom, but fortunately, the nicer facility was closest to me and my siblings so it all worked out. She's about 1/2 hr. away from my sister and brother and 50 minutes from me. How is your dad doing?

Nora-Most of my nieces and nephews left on Sunday....I was delighted as some stayed until yesterday and took the time to visit my Mom on Sunday. They wanted to see where she lived and that she was happy. Mom was back to normal on Sunday.

It's a beautiful day here so I am going to hit the lakeshore path before it gets to hot.

Hello to everyone else: Pauly, [MENTION=2634]bird[/MENTION], Glassie, Drifty and all visitors and lurkers, Happy AF Tuesday, everyone!

Comment

Let's all name something positive we did for ourselves today. So take the time to do something kind for yourself and then report back.

Rusty - took a walk on the lakeshore path

Nora - got out of bed......more to follow:victorious:
          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

I'm baaaccckkk!

Got a call from my loveliest of my cousins...so it pre-empted my walk, but I will leave soon before it gets too hot!

Nora-are you off at all this week? I hope so, and I know you are gearing up for a heatwave, too.

What's everyone doing for the 4th? I'm going to the local beach for the fireworks show. My neighbor and her husband bring their grandchildren and invite me every year. Love it!

Ok, off I go!

Comment

Originally posted by NoraC View Post
              Let's all name something positive we did for ourselves today. So take the time to do something kind for yourself and then report back.
              Nora - any day you get out of bed is a good start! I hope your day is better today and you get some hot water.

Hugs to all the regulars - Rusty, Liz Pauly, Techie - and anyone lurking in the shadows.

My kind thing is that it's 4 July here and so far I've done my yoga every day.

Stay happy folks.

I have to run - I have a ten hour day at work today, and then a paper to write when I get home. nthego:
              There's two ways of looking at the holes in your shoes
              You can dig the ventilation... or you can sing the blues

I didn't come this far to only come this far.

Comment

Hi all,
                What did I do for myself today? I got a few things from storage and brought them home. Fixed the place up a bit....so I am home alone as the dds are staying with their boyfriends. Had dinner at Longhorn steak last night for dd2s bday. She said it was the best steak she has ever had. She had been a vegan for a long time, but now back on the meat I guess. The place I saw that I wanted got sold. Oh well, maybe I will see another like it.....Nora, you are getting a pool? I am jelly..haha, that is what the kids say for jealous. I have seen some houses for sale in gated communities that have pools and stuff. I hear they are tough to live in though cuz you have to keep the yard a certain way and all kindsa crazy rules...nice houses tho...I'm tempted by them...guess I will go to wfs chat tonight. Then to bed. Too much driving lately, I'm beat....no plans for tomorrow....b

Comment

Ooh Bird,,you still have Longhorn steakhouse there? I'm jealous and miss their brown bread and butter!!
                  Last edited by paulywogg; July 3, 2018, 07:44 PM.
                  I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                  Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi all

Bird - glad your daughter had a good birthday dinner. I know what you mean about those type of communities. There are pros and cons definitely. Good that you are going on wfs chat. There's your positive thing today.

Glassie - thank you for popping in. Excellent on the yoga. I have to admit that I did not do yoga yesterday. But, it is on the agenda for tonight.

Pauly - good to see you. I was just thinking this morning that hubby & I should take a weekend and drive to Vegas. But, now the baby is coming so we won't want to leave here. LOL

Rusty - did you ever make it for your walk?

Liz - what did you do today?

Is everyone having a heat wave? It hasn't hit us yet but it's going to. My neighbors built an umbrella over their grill last night. So, they are going to be doing a lot of grilling I bet. We had to get rid of our barbecue last year. It was hubby's granddad's from the 1950's!!! I would say that it was worth the purchase price. :rotlf: After his Granddad passed away, the barbecue went to his Uncle and after his Uncle passed away, they offered it to us. And we had it for years - many a good meal was grilled on there.
                    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

I guess I was acting like it was Friday night and I was just settling in to get all chatty. LOL I think I'll go back to crocheting.

I have tomorrow off so I'm excited. Didn't hear anything about the block party until day before yesterday. I just said I'm not participating this year. They just came by to drop off the flyer and it's going to be lower key this year I think. No DJ blaring all day for one. That is a relief. You get people yelling over the mic and it can get a little annoying.

Ok - back to crochet nthego:
                      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hi everyone. Tried to check in earlier but having computer woes! I worked today, got a pedicure with Erin. Logan was here too and I have missed him!!! He's walking a few steps at a time now and his personality is showing much more. He's just the cutest!
                        [MENTION=2634]bird[/MENTION] hubby and I love Longhorns! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I hope you find the perfect house soon!
                        [MENTION=1214]Rusty[/MENTION], just wondering if you can swim in the lake you walk around?

Glassy, those ten hour days are tough, I couldn't imagine doing a paper afterward. Good for you keeping up with the yoga.
                        [MENTION=5628]Nora[/MENTION], enjoy your day off tomorrow. Any special plans? We are BBQing. Sissys and mom are coming over and of course Erin and Dan and Logan. Dans grand mom passed away this afternoon. Not totally unexpected but tough nonethe less. Dans best friend is getting married in Mexico Saturday, so the timing isn't great. It will work out somehow. Erin is just glad we're watching the baby and not dans mom. That worked out.
                        Went by dad tonight. He was restless. He was trying to get out of bed. The aides helped me get him situated back in bed and he fell asleep. I told them I was just going to run down the hall and use the bathroom. I came back less than 5 minutes later and dad was 3/4 of the way out of bed. He would've landed on his good side! He was so restless tonight. He didn't know who I was. My ts (twin sister) went to look at another facility. We had a three way text message going. Ts said it was a nicer place, slightly more money than the current one but much further away. I don't know why they are insisting on moving him. Mom can't handle the driving anymore, she'll be 87 next month! Is it wrong for me to want to have my dad close to me?
                        Mark got his Visa! He is planning on leaving in two weeks. I feel the walls closing in and I'm trying to keep it together. I'm afraid I will lose it when he leaves. Sometimes I'm ok with all this and other times I'm not, just putting my thoughts out there. As far as healthy and self care, I took a walk in the park tonight after I left dad. I just love being alone there, it's so peaceful.
                        Well that was my day. Wishing us all a sober peaceful night!
                        Last edited by Lizann; July 3, 2018, 09:58 PM.

Comment

[MENTION=19302]Lizann[/MENTION] - big hugs. Big hugs. I really can understand you feeling like it's all closing in. It must feel like it's just piling on you brick by brick. :sad: Good job on talking about it and letting us know how you're feeling. Things are difficult but you are going to get thru them. :hug:
                          Did you ask your sisters who is going to drive your mom back & forth every day? What is their logic in having him moved? Just so that it will be closer for them?
                          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Good Morning and Happy Fourth of July!:sohappy:

Good Morning and Happy Fourth of July!:sohappy:

As far as my self-care yesterday, I walked 4 miles around the lake, worked out, and then back to the lake to swim. I also got paperwork done and decorated for today. :-) It was a great day!

Glassie-Wow, writing a paper after a ten-hour day...I don't know if I would have your stamina or commitment, but I am proud of you.:heartbeat:

Liz:hug:You have so much going on right now, and if you don't have my phone number, I will PM it to you if you need to talk. I am sure your ts means well by putting your dad in a nicer facility, but you are right...your mom is 87 and driving further away doesn't sound like a good idea at all. Is the facility he is in right now clean and does he receive good care? It makes sense to leave him where he is now. Just my opinion, though. ;-). I so understand your angst as Mark prepares to move to London. You handled CJ's move so well, just knowing you could Skype and FaceTime, and you will be able to do the same thing as Mark. It's great that you only work 2 days a week and hubs is retired...then you can go visit him. How fun!!

To answer your question, the lake where I walk is in a resort community and it's 26 miles around, and has a walking path around the entire lake. It is simply beautiful and this area is known as the "Newport of the Midwest." The lake is spring-fed, and is the playground for very wealthy Chicagoans. Homes on the lake start at about $650,000 and go up to about $15M. They hold a marathon there each year and I think of our [MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION], because they've also held several triathlons here as well.

[MENTION=2634]bird[/MENTION]-I hope you have a relaxing day today. So sorry you lost the house! :-( I love Longhorn, and I'm with Pauly....the brown bread and butter....YUM!

Nora-I hope you are able to rest today, and plan a mini-vacation with hubs. Maybe today you can run out and get a grill?

Pauly-what are you doing today?

Hello to [MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION] (I always enjoy your posts and read them word-for-word ;-), DriftAlison, and all other lurkers!
                            Happy Dry and Self-Care Focused 4th of July (Thank you, dear Glassie. Love ya, honey!)
                            Last edited by Rusty; July 4, 2018, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Good morning and happy 4th of July! My favorite holiday! BBQ! Family and fireworks:love: Sadly the weather today doesn't look great.
                              [MENTION=1214]Rusty[/MENTION], how sweet you are! I may take you up on that offer to talk. I may still have your number. To be honest I am most concerned about the week of 7/23. My office will be closed and I'm pretty sure I won't be in work at all. The fact that I have nothing to do scares me. Sadness with nothing to do is a recipe for disaster. On the bright side there is a very good chance I will be working more days. One of the girls at work is retiring. Not sure when that will happen but it will be soon. I happen to love working here and they are so nice to me, go figure! You lake path sounds so lovely. Do you see those homes when you walk?
                              [MENTION=5628]Nora[/MENTION], to funny about your 50 year old BBQ! I'm guessing it was charcoal? Did you get the water heater fixed? For the record when we were in st Croix we always took cold showers, very refreshing . They pretty much don't use hot water there.

Well off to get ready for today. I am making a grilled pineapple pizza for dessert today! Trying something new and I'll let you know if it turns out. Thank you so much for your support and kind words! It really does help, and I can do this! I love you guys:love:

Comment

Liz - I'm so glad that you like your job. That is great. I hope you have a great day even though your weather isn't cooperating. We are going to stay in and do nothing. I honestly don't feel like going out & mingling with all the neighbors this year. :sad: I have developed such social anxiety.

Oh lucky for everyone, I just got interrupted. LOL Off to have breakfast or brunch since it's already 10:30.

Happy 4th of July to everyone and I will be back. I imagine I'll be back and talking to myself all day long.
                                AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Working...
                                X