March 2019 Army Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: March 2019 Army Thread

Good morning everyone. Thanks for the book recommendation NS, will put on my list. Hang in there Tabs, part of you must want it, keep trying. That must have been a very trying time for you JC, health is wealth.

Beautiful morning here and the first one I did not have to walk the doggies in the dark since last September, yea. Rushing for work, have had a nice break as I took last Tuesday off so like Starty I don’t mind going back. Laters ....

Comment

Morning,
      Tabbers, darling,:hug: plain and simple you sound miserable. I'm not going to promise its going to be all fluffy rabbits, rainbows and jollity when you stop......plain and simple it will escalate..... get rid of the drink.......its a start. Then get on with the keeping stopped........alcohol is doing sfa.

With Jenny, it was traumatic but also an incredible week of finding how kind people are. How fantastic the NHS is at its best. She spend a day in intensive care, a day on an observation ward then into a wee mother and child room the next . The only time she cried .........when I say cried she shrieked and made so much noise had the nurses running to our room....... was when she dropped her Pudsey bear mug.
      By day four I'd nipped out for a ciggie and came back to fnd her at the top of the slide in the playroom, I nearly dropped down dead with fright .........there were nursery nurses in there........I'd got shooed out to get some time away. She was fine.
      The only problem was the food ( disgusting) so my lovely SIL used to bring in proper food for the pair of us.
      This is why we support CHUF and will always do so..........
      CHUF: Children's Heart Unit Fund
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Early birds here this morning.
        Lovely memories JC, even if it was an anxious time.

Hows the job going [MENTION=21798]Tabbers (a.k.a. KTAB)[/MENTION]? You must have a year there now?

Kids telling me Im very cranky today (I demanded all mobile phones to be handed over - which is about the only time they pay attention to my nagging). I am cranky, they come in, eat, drop everything on the floor and walk off..
        Tuesdays going to be great
        AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
          ..lead me to a fascinating book I finished this weekend: https://www.amazon.com/Never-Enough-...a-639118375345
          The author writes from the perspective of a neuroscientist and a former addict of just about every addictive substance she could get her hands on. She explains the biochemistry underlying addiction to each of the types of substances (opiods, benzoes, uppers, alcohol, THC, etc.) in an accessible but accurate way, including why where each acts in the brain yields the differing responses. She also clearly explains why for a person with a particular biochemistry, exposure to the drug that "normalizes" that biochemistry will almost inevitably lead to addiction --- and why that person will almost inevitably not be able to moderate their drug of choice. As I read about all the drugs, it became clear to me why alcohol worked for me (for awhile) and made me grateful I was never exposed to barbituates. I'm afraid I would like them. It also killed any curiosity I had about trying THC. The book isn't all science, though - she makes a strong case for the environments that foster addiction and the changes we need to make as a society.
          Quoting you over here too NS, looks like a really good read.

Comment

Originally posted by Tabbers (a.k.a. KTAB) View Post
            I was a bit taken aback by that question tbh Starty, it was the word’enjoy’.

Do I want to stop? Yes, but am I 100% committed, not sure.
            Am I enjoying it right now? I hadn’t considered that. Honest answer, I haven’t enjoyed drinking for well over a decade I would say. Unquestionably an addict.
            Do you like the taste of it?

I think it tastes like shit. I used to put something sweet in so I could get it down. So it must be your neural pathways/reward centre that want it. Certainly wasn't my taste buds. I could only stomach Vodka and sparkling rose in the end. With blackcurrent cordial. Jesus.

I remember Jason Vale writing exactly the same thing in his book. Gack.
            Last edited by byebyebridgetjones; March 26, 2019, 01:13 AM.
            If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
            Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

You must have been scared witless JC. Even as a registered nurse I used to cry when it was vaccination time. All bets are off when it comes to your kids.
              Waving to G-string.
              You all do a lot of hiking and walking. I'm inspired. Time to work our how I might fit a bit of that in again.

Satzy how is Rosie now?

Sent a student off in an ambulance today. As soon as I open my office door someone finds me with an emergency. Starting to think I need to burn sage or investigate a spell.
              If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
              Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Good morning everyone. Never did look at either of my two getting their vaccinations. Just in from a walk with the doggies and it is blissful, sun shining, birds singing, 6 a.m so very few about. Tell you Bridget, food for the soul, highly recommend. I also took up hill walking since I gave up the booze. How is Rosie? We are all thinking about her. Another work day so better get a move on.

Comment

Morning,
                  [MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION].....good for you with the phones. Isn't it the rudest thing in the world when you're halfway through a sentence when they have a sneaky peak at their phones.
                  Mr JC does it. He'll even tell me I've got a message. Is it so urgent it can't wait until I'm finished what I'm doing?

It was a funny auld week. The two girls next door still haven't got over the fact Jenny got a Barbie doll when it wasn't her birthday or Christmas from their Mum & Dad and they're both in their 30s now.

[MENTION=9170]byebyebridgetjones[/MENTION].......... I just used to neck it. Don't think I've ever sipped a drink in my life.

[MENTION=15758]rustop59[/MENTION]...I didn't look either when my two had their jabs. Watched them like a hawk after for any side effects.

Next big plan as the weather is getting better is to knock the shed down ( before it falls down), replace paving in the garden, new lawn and more planting space. Volunteers for over the weekend needed..........free tea and coffee for those who participate.
                  AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Evening troops

Tabbers - good to see you in the barracks, and sorry that AL has reared it's heid again. As ever your description of where you are at with it is as eloquent and pointed as ever. The 'no caring' is something that rings bells. Sort of like a 'fuck it' - but more polite :haha: And your answer to whether it was enjoyable was something that made me think too.

School show, performance 1 - done. The kids were awesome, the audience loved it and the staff didn't tear each other's hair out. Indeed they all said how calm the whole experience has been. Smiley faces all round.

Mers and JC - yep that phone thing bugs me too. What i hate is that we have become so needy and to 'need' to respond to the first buzz, ring, beep from our phones. I notice I can do it myself, though actively try to stop it because I simply don't want to feel that I am available at all times of day and night: so no phone in the bedroom and I don't answer social media unless it's apt to do so.

Unlikely my septuagenarian parents :haha: Whose impulse to respond to their phones has crossed over to the landline also - even at meal times, like WTF? When I was a kid, my maw would NEVER answer the phone at dinner time

Away to prep -

Comment

Count me in on the yard work Jackie, soon as I figure out how to bring this along lol

Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

impressive machine! [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION]

Phones drive me nuts.. Not allowed in the bedrooms here, but they use every excuse going (my friend is sending me the homework, Im listening to music... blah blah blah).
                        The sneak peak drives me potty [MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION]!

[MENTION=18049]RunningCourage[/MENTION] How did the marathon go RC?? Was it the weekend just gone??

Rustop, did you only start hiking after you gave up the booze?
                        I always did a bit of running, but Ive taken it up a few notches in the past year. No way could I train like this (and work) if I was drinking.
                        But then Bridge, Ive no time for gardening, which can be very physical too, so whatever floats your boat I think.
                        Why did you send someone off in an ambulance?!

Comment

Late check-in.
                          [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION].......that'll do nicely. We will have to re-bury several goldfish, a guinea pig, 2 rabbits, and 3 hamsters.

Funnily enough, since Jenny started teaching she's not glued to her phone........neither is her BF. The kids have to hand their's in at the beginning of the school day and pick them up on the way out........unless they have a medical condition.

[MENTION=18049]RunningCourage[/MENTION].........my in-laws have this phone screener so they pick and choose who to ring back.

Got the blind man, a decorator to give us a quote and a plumber arriving tomorrow..........should put in a revolving front door the people traipsing in and out on this house.
                          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Good morning everyone. Glad to see that the big guns have arrived JC. Phones were not as surgically attached when my two were younger. Daughter even noticed a difference in her flatmate who was a few years younger. Personally Can take them or leave them.

I always walked the doggies Mary but the harder hill walking only started when I became af. Could not imagine climbing some of the harder hills around here with a hangover. Found the hill of Howth a doodle, did not even feel I was climbing but some of the women I was with struggled. Another beautiful morning, looking forward to getting out in the garden, really needs a spring clean up.

Comment

Morning,
                              Had a good look round the garden daffodils and tulips are blooming. :love:
                              Blind man arrival in 10 minutes.
                              Oddly enough the work people coming today don't send me into a head spin.
                              We're doing that part of the garden as my favourite tree has died and will have to be dug out. Tbh rather sad about it.
                              Bacinabit.
                              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Its very quiet here today

Watching Friends from College, its a bit rubbish. They drink a lot!

Hows the garden looking [MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION]??

Its mad isnt it [MENTION=15758]rustop59[/MENTION], how much more your body (and mind) is capable of without drowning it with booze.

Comment

Working...
                                X