March 2019 Army Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: March 2019 Army Thread

Hey all. Just checking in and reading quickly. Off to school run in a sec. good news about you MIL kitchen and hearing aids JC.
    Hope everyone enjoyed/enjoys their pancakes. We had fun finding different fillings for outs last night. Right off I go.
    MinStar

Comment

Evening,
      Its cold tonight, at least that rain is gone. Hope you got a walk in this morning Rustop.
      Great news about your Mil [MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION]!

I heard the new 'buzz' word around retirement is FIRE (Financially Independent Retire Early!). Ive a bit to go, but if I could cut back to 3 days, like Starty, Id be happy enough.
      Retiring to the leaba now, enjoy the gig [MENTION=22456]starty[/MENTION], you can spend hours and hours getting ready :haha:

Wave to [MENTION=16215]MinStar[/MENTION]!
      AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Hammered down all day.
        The blind man came and went. Picked the colours and style and all over inside 15 minutes. Fitting in a fortnight. No hard sell, which suits me down to the ground.
        Baked a cake successfully, burnt the garlic bread. Still can't find anything in the kitmahal.
        Started watching series 3 of Versaille and got a tingle of excitement as I'll be seeing the real thing in October.
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Bookending for me.
          Got to rush so will pop in later.
          Very quiet around here.....so I saw this in the Newbies nest.........what made you start to drink at dangerous levels and needed help???
          Last edited by JackieClaire; March 7, 2019, 04:50 AM.
          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Lovely day's walking today think we did about 8 miles or 12k to those modern folk. Cannot beat a good old countryside ramble

So, what made me drink at dangerous levels and needed help.... hmmm. I think like anyone drinking is progressive and tolerance builds the more you do it. I cannot say that any one thing started my addiction unless it is related to trauma in childhood. Perhaps it stemmed from there. I started drinking quite young but was more into drugs so I guess I was always on the lookout for a high which helped me cope with any emotion. I probably knew I did not drink normally for many years but I think around 2008 I really started to worry and was depressed probably because of the drinking. I could afford to do it daily and when I went out I got pretty drunk. I also got alcohol poisoning a few times. Anyhoo it wasnt until I found this place that I realised there was help outside of AA. I had read a few books beforehand but never could see a totally sober life. For me it is definitely habit rather than quantity or getting blind drunk all of the time. I use it to change my normal feelings. Just the drinking every day around a bottle of wine then more at the weekends with spirits on occasion and a load of pills will send anyone pretty screwy.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
              Morning,
              I don't get my ear trumpets until next week. Its all done by computer so they've got to download a chip for each one..........So if and when they need to be altered I keep the ones I'm wearing and they just adjust the chip.......pure genious. Had this awful feeling that they'd need replacing every two years and tbh we just don't have the funds for that. We're putting these beggars on the house insurance in case I lose them.

[MENTION=22456]starty[/MENTION]..........I loved Cockney Rebel.........couple of albums still in the loft.
              Honestly, I find this retirement age thing ridiculous. Most of us have paid our fair dues in contributions but I'll be 70 when Mr JC retires. Fine make both sexes retire at 65......equality and all that. Let the workers live long enough to have at least a few years to enjoy their retirement.

Best news of the week. Ma-in-law did have what the GP thought was a cancerous growth on her leg checked out and its a form of eczema which just needs some cream.
              Fantastic about MIL ! And about the hearing aids. Are they comfy and can you hear Mr JC snoring now?

Retirement age is 67 for us. Way too long to wait.

Comment

Originally posted by IamMary View Post
                Evening,
                Its cold tonight, at least that rain is gone. Hope you got a walk in this morning Rustop.
                Great news about your Mil [MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION]!

I heard the new 'buzz' word around retirement is FIRE (Financially Independent Retire Early!). Ive a bit to go, but if I could cut back to 3 days, like Starty, Id be happy enough.
                Retiring to the leaba now, enjoy the gig [MENTION=22456]starty[/MENTION], you can spend hours and hours getting ready :haha:

Wave to [MENTION=16215]MinStar[/MENTION]!
                Do the 3 day thing Mary, much more civilised

I will be able to have a nana nap before I go too :haha:

Comment

Jackie, so glad you are enjoying your kit hen.

Starts, so glad you have a less stressful life.
                  Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Evening everyone. Great news about the MIL JC, you must all be so relieved. Spent the day looking at cars. Daughter is going to take on my old car and I am looking at getting a new small one. It is all so complicated now, there are so many add ons. Test drove a few so will see what himself says at weekend and maybe take him to see a few. Finished watching Dirty John, must have a look at Versailles, any other suggestions?

Comment

[MENTION=22456]starty[/MENTION].........thanks for sharing. Very interesting. Not sure if I can do such a good timeline. What I do know is that I always drank to get drunk and that was at 15 years old. I'll do one of my big thinks.
                      I can take the ear trumpets out at night. Mind you, when Mr. JC gets to snoring after a few pints you can hear him 200 miles away.
                      [MENTION=651]SKendall[/MENTION]...nice to see you. We're taking a couple of weeks away from home improvements to decide on the flooring.
                      [MENTION=15758]rustop59[/MENTION].......I've just found the 6th series of Wentworth ............remember Prisoner Cell Block H........its that updated. Just catching up with Shetland as well.

[MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION].........I loved what you said on the on the Steppers about @ being and electronic hello........so here's one for you
                      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Thanks for the greeting, [MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION]. I've been thinking about your question. For me, the whole thing was so insidious. I tried alcohol once in high school (Boone's Farm -gag) and a couple times in college (beer- gag again) and had no interest. When I started drinking red wine as an adult at some point in my mid to later 30s, it was to fit in/appear to be sophisticated and for the supposed health benefits. For quite awhile I didn't even like it and one glass would last an evening or even not be finished. I have no idea how drinking in that extremely restrained manner devolved into crazed addicted drinking from the spout of a hidden box of wine! I guess the changes were incremental, my subconscious realized I felt "better" when I drank, and over the years as the frequency and amount increased, so did my obsession and feelings of "need". Eventually it crowded out just about everything in my life other than my absolute responsibilities. It feels so weird to not be able to remember how something so tragically important even happened. But I guess if we had been aware of what was happening, we would have put a stop to it when it would have been much easier to do. Ignorance was bliss until the extent of my problem was at last stunningly OBVIOUS!

Comment

Wentworth is BRILLIANT JC.
                          But I think I've seen them all - must check.

I too always drank to get drunk.... or at least change my mood to a happy one .... never PLASTERED but very very merry.
                          It's hard to say when I crossed the line - it seemed to come & go at different times of my life.
                          I think when I was able to have 6-8 strong gins in the evening - every evening - I realised it had to stop.

I really didn't know how to do it.
                          Sounds daft now but I honestly thought I couldn't live without alcohol in my life so I logged on the MWO again. The plan was to stop drinking alone during the week and only drink at weekends.
                          I remember my horror when there were posters saying NO - you can't moderate - it doesn't work !!! Jesus talk about hard core !

Anyway that's how my signature came about - I wanted to do it MY WAY .... I wasn't going to ever say never again & I would ease my way into it.
                          Which I did & luckily it worked.
                          Last edited by satz123; March 7, 2019, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Addiction is so powerful that it can make us feel like we might as well die without whatever it is. I think we all must have felt this way [MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION] or surely we would have quit as soon as we knew there was a problem:
                            I honestly thought I couldn't live without alcohol in my life
                            When I realized that I was starting not to care whether I lived or died, I knew something had to change.

Comment

Oh great post tonight..

For me:
                              15 - 25 Loved drinking, the confidence it game me, Id seek out the drinkers. I would be always conscious to remain dignified, couldn't be vomiting or falling over!
                              25-35 Still partying but friends starting to settle. I started to hide the booze from 28, I remember how successful my 1st few bottles were (go me), then it was downhill from there.
                              35-40. More babies, slowed the progress, but wine O'Clock was the important focus of the day.
                              40 - day 1: I Discovered spirits, where had they been all my life? way easier to hide in every sense. I knew now I was too far and couldnt go back, the obsessive thoughts of drink were a clue. And with lots more in the middle, here I am.

So in summary, it was a gentle decline after that 1st drink. No one moment, maybe there were many.
                              Last edited by IamMary; March 7, 2019, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                                Hammered down all day.
                                The blind man came and went. Picked the colours and style and all over inside 15 minutes. Fitting in a fortnight. No hard sell, which suits me down to the ground..
                                reminds me.. its old and silly

Two nuns are ordered to paint a room in the convent, with a warning from the Mother Superior not to get even a drop of paint on their habits, which are costly to replace.
                                After conferring about this, the two nuns decide to lock the door of the room, strip off their habits, and paint naked.
                                In the middle of the project, there's a knock at the door."Who is it?" calls one of the nuns.
                                "Blind man," replies a voice from the other side of the door.
                                The two nuns look at each other and shrug, both deciding that no harm can come from letting a blind man into the room. They open the door.
                                "Nice boobs," says the man. "Where do you want the blinds?"
                                Last edited by IamMary; March 7, 2019, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X