Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: September Army Thread

Originally posted by IamMary View Post

Back in a bit.. for a moan. Head wrecked as the latest now for a group of friends is a weekend away to get absolutely hammered.
    Mers - you see, I have a problem with this kind of thing. How old are these ladies and what do they get out of going away for a weekend to get hammered? That's what kids do. Seriously, I don't understand the thinking behind this. Not criticizing, just trying to get my head around it. Mature women with families, I assume, and that is their idea of how to spend their weekend? Why not go to a spa for a full-body treatment and some healthy food. You'd feel so much better on Monday than if you drank all weekend. Or a trip to some kind of culture centre or a tour around a scenic area, national park or something. Sorry, just don't get it. Again, not criticizing...
    For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
    AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Originally posted by stirly-girly View Post
      Mers - you see, I have a problem with this kind of thing. How old are these ladies and what do they get out of going away for a weekend to get hammered? That's what kids do. Seriously, I don't understand the thinking behind this. Not criticizing, just trying to get my head around it. Mature women with families, I assume, and that is their idea of how to spend their weekend? Why not go to a spa for a full-body treatment and some healthy food. You'd feel so much better on Monday than if you drank all weekend. Or a trip to some kind of culture centre or a tour around a scenic area, national park or something. Sorry, just don't get it. Again, not criticizing...
      Morning...I get what you are saying Stirly ..I really do..the consequences for someone like us of that sort of a weekend are unimaginable ....however...many years ago ..maybe when I WAS Mary's age i had some brilliant women s weekends away...and they weren't ALL just drinking ( tho there was a lot of it) ..we did get out and about ..have a look around the area sometimes go to a show or deffo spa things and those weekends were great craic...no point denying that ....my point being that if you're an adult ..and if you choose to drink hard for a time away and then return to normality....get on with you...why not? My problem is the returning to normality bit....I can't do it....and as long as I know ..REALLY know I CAN'T DO IT.....that's fine
      Just my tuppence worth!!!
      Last edited by mollyka; September 29, 2019, 02:26 AM.
      Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
      contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Good morning everyone. Totally agree with you Molly. For the normies it’s not a problem. I was away with a group of women in June and while one or two had a drink or two with dinner that was it. The trip was not about getting hammered. Lots of good food, crocheting and laughs. Is it a hen weekend Mary? Can see that there would be a lot more difficult. I can imagine that the run will clear your head and being in training for the marathon is your perfect excuse for not indulging.

Lucky you with the weather Stirly. Has been horrible here. You are right about the men, they have all gone awol. Sorry to read about your work Satz, they don’t deserve you. Enjoy your garden Bridget and hope you get nice new neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
          if you're an adult ..and if you choose to drink hard for a time away and then return to normality....get on with you...why not? My problem is the returning to normality bit....I can't do it....and as long as I know ..REALLY know I CAN'T DO IT.....that's fine
          Just my tuppence worth!!!
          Agree totally. We here can't get back to 'normal'.
          I see Mr S after drinking for 7 days on holiday & enjoy every one - just flip back to drinking nothing.

We are different -
          vive la différence :horse: I say

Comment

An all body spa day. Shut up and take my money.

Can you jog past Molly and Satz's place both Mary? I had no idea that you were so close together.
            You know Mary I've been to some of those weekends where at the end of them nobody was talking. Too may women together and too much booze. Disaster.

Very pleased with myself re the amount I've acheived this weekend. Just plodding along, happy as Larry. Whoever that is.

Gave in and had some anti-inflammatory meds this weekend. I must be in pain a fair bit with the arthritis because I was bouncing off walls with energy half hour later. I think you just get used to a level of pain and dissociate with it after a while. Like you were saying about your hands, NS.

I won't be-labour this but you all might remember about the problems the boy had earlier on this year at the hands of a certain piece of work? Well she's at it again.....this time she's accused a group of men in town. The area is well covered by CCTV. But what do you know, nothing turned up! Apparently she has made a report to police, which I also hope is true so that a pattern begins to emerge for NSW Police. It's been 4 months. Time to get more attention, I guess.

It's a trial living among other people sometimes, isn't it ladies?

And yes, where are the men of MWO?
            If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
            Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Morning,
              [MENTION=9170]byebyebridgetjones[/MENTION]...........how do I put this..........ermmmmmmmm FFS.
              It could be worse, I could be filing.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Was having one of my big thinks last night about mobile phone (I'll get to spa and away weekend type things in a minute)

Remember back in the day they were used just for texts and it was a quick 'can you pick me up from the metro' or what's for tea.
                Now with all it whistles and bells we're supposed to communicate in-depth from our settees.
                We did have a wedding WhatsApp group going but that was just to get people in the places they should be at the right time and who's wearing the biggest hat me or the bride's mother.............I won by miles.

I was going to say it suddenly dawned on me but its been niggling a while.
                A text/whatsap/IM cannot is taking the over getting off your backside and something called visiting.
                In a visit.........you can see body language/ smiles (whether they're real or fake)/ when they're sat in front of you by body language and some say they're fine you can see they not. Inotations in the your or their voice speaks volumes.There's hugs...real ones not some damned fecking emoji. You can't get that from a phone.
                If you have a fight you either work it out not just switch you off.
                I can't text great long screeds of what I'm doing/done/going to do.
                Jenny's teaching at a school where phones are handed in as soon as the pupils get ther and handed back when they leave. In the space of just two years they've seen better behaviour/higher attendance/better exam results.

Its a wonderful thing that we can keep in contact with family across the world (we've got family in France & USA) but when they're half an hour down the road it hacks me off.

Here endeth the big think.
                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Oh Bridge!! FFS is right!! however - this is probably the best thing for you AND the boy - it will pretty much prove who and what she is... aren't there awful people in the world!
                  Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                  Was having one of my big thinks last night about mobile phone (I'll get to spa and away weekend type things in a minute)

Remember back in the day they were used just for texts and it was a quick 'can you pick me up from the metro' or what's for tea.
                  Now with all it whistles and bells we're supposed to communicate in-depth from our settees.
                  We did have a wedding WhatsApp group going but that was just to get people in the places they should be at the right time and who's wearing the biggest hat me or the bride's mother.............I won by miles.

I was going to say it suddenly dawned on me but its been niggling a while.
                  A text/whatsap/IM cannot is taking the over getting off your backside and something called visiting.
                  In a visit.........you can see body language/ smiles (whether they're real or fake)/ when they're sat in front of you by body language and some say they're fine you can see they not. Inotations in the your or their voice speaks volumes.There's hugs...real ones not some damned fecking emoji. You can't get that from a phone.
                  If you have a fight you either work it out not just switch you off.
                  I can't text great long screeds of what I'm doing/done/going to do.
                  Jenny's teaching at a school where phones are handed in as soon as the pupils get ther and handed back when they leave. In the space of just two years they've seen better behaviour/higher attendance/better exam results.

Its a wonderful thing that we can keep in contact with family across the world (we've got family in France & USA) but when they're half an hour down the road it hacks me off.

Here endeth the big think.
                  Now Jackie -- this is where you and I differ I guess (seems my day for disagreeing.) - I'll be honest - I actively dislike talking on the phone - virtually phobic about it tbh ( goes back to childhood and enforced phone calls I think) and as a general rule I actively dislike visitors -- LOVE the text culture - and a simple matter of how many xxx's my sprogs put at the end of a text tells me what form they are in and also that life is probably grand with them.. and with the exception of seeing the grandkids regularly - I can live without anyone else 'popping in' -- but I AM odd -- I know that --- and (NOT MAKING EXCUSES) a lot of that social insecurity and anti-social mindset was covered up by alcohol... until alcohol fought back!!

BIG BOAST!! Have a wireless printer...…….. wireless my ARSE.... it came with an instruction book of about 94 million pages of how to connect wirelessly -- I threw the book in the bin in a tantrum ---- TODAY -- I connected it by pressing 3 buttons...……. WHY OH WHY couldn't the book say - 'press the blue one - press the yellow one- and then press the one on the left for 3 seconds' --- LATHERIN HEART!!!
                  Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                  contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
                    I'll be honest - I actively dislike talking on the phone - virtually phobic about it tbh ( goes back to childhood and enforced phone calls I think) and as a general rule I actively dislike visitors
                    Haha, Molly, you just dislike people But I see your point.. Technology definitely has a place for everyone, but to [MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION]'s point, when we start to use it INSTEAD physical interaction, I suppose it cant be always a good thing. Peoples social skills might start to diminish and a lot is lost in translation, you cant read emotions as easily.

I was probably being a tad facetious about the 'getting hammered' at the weekend away. We have all grown up a bit now (all late 40s), but it was these parties and mad nights out that bonded us 30 years ago and the expectation is there. As a group, we only meet once or twice at most a year now and I was giving it socks on these occasions, until 4 years ago. They definitely knock them back more than your crochet group Rustop! I do really enjoy most of their company though, so its tricky.

I'll be honest, Ive been avoiding a lot of friends over the past few years, because I dont drink anymore. And no, I dont want to talk about it endlessly to any of them.
                    [MENTION=9170]byebyebridgetjones[/MENTION], OMG.. what a piece of work she is. If there is any positive side to this, it will reiterate your own case, not that there was any doubt, but you know how your own mind can play tricks. Good riddens to her. Hows the lad?
                    Last edited by IamMary; September 29, 2019, 06:38 AM.
                    AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Just out of the loft...........the lofty man is arriving tomorrow at 10am. Will take three/four hours and I'll be in a state of high anxiety for all of it.

We didn't get a phone 'til I was 15 and it was a party line. I've been making up for it since.
                      I'm not saying they can drop in at the drop of a hat.........I like a bit of notice. As I said I've been in the loft still in me jammies, covered in cobwebs and look grubby. Not that I usually greet visitors in a ball gown and my tiara.

Nuance is probably the better word I was looking for. Dead easy for someone to text are you okay? and you text back 'fine............smiley face' and inside you're screaming.
                      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Bridge, we are not that close, it was a very long run!
                        Well Molly is not far from me, but its Satz's SIL who lives in the next town. I dont know her. Although this is Ireland, so you never know!
                        Rustop and Satz are all not too far away though. Same with tabbers.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                          Not that I usually greet visitors in a ball gown and my tiara.
                          I dont believe you :haha:

Comment

Originally posted by IamMary View Post
                            I dont believe you :haha:
                            Just on weekends.

Rest of the week its either my tiger-striped cat-suit or whatever I threw on the floor from last night.
                            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

I actively dislike talking on the phone - virtually phobic about it tbh ( goes back to childhood and enforced phone calls I think) and as a general rule I actively dislike visitors -- LOVE the text culture - and a simple matter of how many xxx's my sprogs put at the end of a text tells me what form they are in and also that life is probably grand with them.. and with the exception of seeing the grandkids regularly - I can live without anyone else 'popping in' -- but I AM odd -- I know that --- and (NOT MAKING EXCUSES) a lot of that social insecurity and anti-social mindset was covered up by alcohol.
                              This is ME apart from the grandkids bit .....

Comment

Hello Army,first off Bridget I was floored when you posted that the girl is again making allegations,she gives women who were truly abused less credibility and yes she's a huge attention seeker,that's just awful! I'm a texter,like Molly I hate talking in the phone but I text my mom every single morning,I message with my kids and get worried if they do call cuz I'm scared something happened,think it's just how things are these days,Mary are you going away with the group? I'm sure it's not gonna be a drag out booze fest(hopefully) waves to all and have a wonderful day
                                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X