Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: September Army Thread

Evening All,
    We had to do invalid food in Home Economics. It invariably involved eggs which would make you heave if you were sick anyway. Custard featured heavily. I wasn't staying home to cook for a sick person in my youth. Boring. They got flat lemonade (pop) and told to stay 3 metres away at all times.
    Not catholic so didn't have to wear anything crocheted either. Best part of being a proto actually. Apart from the fact that none of us have to go to church, and don't. Your churches are nicer, especially that one that is it's own country. Don't have to kiss anyone's ring as far as I can remember. There's no booze and bread to line up for. Hey, how do you get around that? "No thanks Father, I'll take the rice cracker. I'm an old pisshead" Straight to the basement meeting for you, my daughter!
    The parents used to drop us off at Sunday School and do a bolter. There was a bizarre assortment of 'Sunday School Teachers' who usually smelt like cheese and wore odour eaters in their sandals and let's just say I bet they didn't have a Working With Children Check In the end my best mate and I used to climb out the toilet window, skid down the drainpipe and jump a couple of back fences to spend the collection money on lollies at the local corner shop.
    Good times.

Right I better get off to bed.
    If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
    Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Ahhh the joys of religion...my mum's family were proddies dads catholic-ish...never had religion pumped into me at home ..the nuns made up for that in school...total atheist now so no commitments...can't imagine how any God could look on benignly at what his/her representatives did and prolly still do...
      Enough of that..how's everybody? Is Jenny serious bout this lad dya think Jacks?

Oh and did you go to Downton the movie Rusters? I think I'd love to see it
      Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
      contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Evening everyone. Just in from work so quick check in while the dinner is cooking

Downton not coming out until the 13th Molly. You will be back. Going to arrange a girls night out for it. Did I tell ye that I am going to the Bay City Rollers in December with my crochet group. Never got to see them first time around so better late than never. Good idea about the present JC. Sleep tight Bridget. Waves to everyone else.

Comment

Omg I LOVED the Rollers!!! Friend of mine was a proper groupie used to dress in tartan and all!

Comment

Well Im about a decade behind you lot, so will not be going the 'Rollers'
            All the concerts I went to in my youth (and not so youth), booze featured of course. I'm comfortable with holidays and dinners out without al, but I still feel a bit of a nerd at concerts.. I need to get over myself.
            AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Originally posted by byebyebridgetjones View Post
              Don't have to kiss anyone's ring as far as I can remember. There's no booze and bread to line up for. Hey, how do you get around that? "No thanks Father, I'll take the rice cracker. I'm an old pisshead" Straight to the basement meeting for you, my daughter!
              No ring kissing or wine drinking, I think thats only in the movies Bridge :haha:
              ..or for the extra holy.
              AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
                God yeah Mary the things we thought were only GORGEOUS and we look back???!!!!
                My mum was a great dressmaker - made my sister's wedding dresses and all..I was terrified she'd offer to make mine ..the hippy era was round then and that's what I wanted ..so I popped into a shop off Suffolk st and bought my dress for 50 quid and brought it home on the train..the fuss and palavar that goes on nowadays

Morning all!
                Yep bought mine in Switzers 80 pounds ...... on my own .... same thing - home on the bus... still have the receipt ....
                Bought the bridesmaids dresses myself , on my own, in Clearys - 3 size 10. & made the two wans wear them. One was altered to fit my flower girl - all very hippyish - blue floral off the shoulder with espadrilles - so cool at the time I thought :haha:

None of this whole day out business , in a gang with prosecco etc to buy a feckin bridesmaid dress ..

Comment

Bay City Rollers!!!! I was in love with Woody!

Has anyone seen 'The Kitchen'?

Bored at work
                  Bored at work
                  Bored at work
                  Bored at work
                  Bored at work
                  Bored at work
                  Bored at work
                  Bored at work
                  Bored at work
                  If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                  Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Nope haven't seen it Bridge - loving Masterchef Australia...don't say anything bout who won - we're always way behind you

Agree entirely Benjy...think of all the things that have grown into monsters that were just simple little celebration in our day- christening..showers..kids birthdays..Halloween..communion..confirmation...he n/stags...don't even MENTION weddings and on and on...the woman who's husband died in March in car crash..they spent at least 35k on daughters wedding year before....just bury me under a treelease:
                    Grumpyoldwoman.com:happy2:
                    Last edited by mollyka; September 10, 2019, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Combining my favourite puppet from my childhood with the Rollers

Shang a Lang by Bay City Rollers (Sung by Sweep) - YouTube

1970 we had the Rollers playing one end of town and at the other David Bowie..........about 1970. Didn't have tickets for either but it made for a very colourful afternoon watching the fans parading about town.

That was just a quickie...........back in a few mins.
                      It could be worse, I could be filing.
                      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Don't get me started on celebrations. Birthdays and Christmas...........I can do them and I quite like them.
                        The newest one I've heard of is the baby reveal party. Same as a baby shower but a big balloon popped by the mother and out falls either blue or pink baby-shaped confetti. Such fun, such expense.
                        [MENTION=8529]mollyka[/MENTION].............Jenny's BF is just lovely. Part Icelandic looks like a Viking and 6'5" tall. Head of biology at a different school to her. Charming, polite, no chips on his shoulder ( reference to the last one there) He's got two children from a previous relationship......... the split was a long time before they met...........so Jenny's being carefully and slowly introduced to them. They're besotted with each other. Coming up to two years together and she's not getting itchy feet.
                        It could be worse, I could be filing.
                        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                          Don't get me started on celebrations. Birthdays and Christmas...........I can do them and I quite like them.
                          The newest one I've heard of is the baby reveal party. Same as a baby shower but a big balloon popped by the mother and out falls either blue or pink baby-shaped confetti. Such fun, such expense.
                          [MENTION=8529]mollyka[/MENTION].............Jenny's BF is just lovely. Part Icelandic looks like a Viking and 6'5" tall. Head of biology at a different school to her. Charming, polite, no chips on his shoulder ( reference to the last one there) He's got two children from a previous relationship......... the split was a long time before they met...........so Jenny's being carefully and slowly introduced to them. They're besotted with each other. Coming up to two years together and she's not getting itchy feet.
                          Two YEARS!!!! JEEZ where did that time go...he sounds pretty perfect..tbh( and I see it from the boys side) i think men who have children are lovely--- softer gentler sort of

Haha yes the gender reveal.....like REALLY??? Does anyone except the parents really care????? Ffs self important tripe
                          Edit. Please excuse typing spelling....on tablet
                          Last edited by mollyka; September 10, 2019, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
                            Nope haven't seen it Bridge - loving Masterchef Australia...don't say anything bout who won - we're always way behind you

Agree entirely Benjy...think of all the things that have grown into monsters that were just simple little celebration in our day- christening..showers..kids birthdays..Halloween..communion..confirmation...he n/stags...don't even MENTION weddings and on and on...the woman who's husband died in March in car crash..they spent at least 35k on daughters wedding year before....just bury me under a treelease:
                            Grumpyoldwoman.com:happy2:
                            Yep and none of this every Tom Dick & Harry traipsing in around my house while I lie in the coffin 'looking lovely' - MY ARSE lovely :egad:
                            Nope told MrS put the lid on my very simple ( but elegant) wicker box & be done with it. Preferred to be remembered how I looked at my best - not my worst.

He was quite put out - 'cos being from the a rural background - he wants the whole Irish nation to come & gape at him & drink tea, whiskey & eat curled up hang sangwiches while sitting by his corpse. It's so primitive.

Comment

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
                              Yep and none of this every Tom Dick & Harry traipsing in around my house while I lie in the coffin 'looking lovely' - MY ARSE lovely :egad:
                              Nope told MrS put the lid on my very simple ( but elegant) wicker box & be done with it. Preferred to be remembered how I looked at my best - not my worst.

He was quite put out - 'cos being from the a rural background - he wants the whole Irish nation to come & gape at him & drink tea, whiskey & eat curled up hang sangwiches while sitting by his corpse. It's so primitive.
                              Agreed!!! Tho I genuinely want to be planted in a pod..you can pick your tree and all..I'm gonna be an oak;-)

Anyway how pagan is all that gawping at dead bodies..

Comment

I AM A BAD , SELFISH PERSON - I hate going to a nursing home again today after 10 hours in one yesterday - even if it is to see my mother.
                                She will not remember me being there - and I don't do guilt for the sake of it I'm afraid.

@ Grumpyoildwoman2 ................. :haha:

Comment

Working...
                                X