September Army Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: September Army Thread

Evening Pauly - and all else.. had a lovely solitary day - Joe was down in Aiseiri visiting our pal who's wife died... jeez he was down there 6 days just de-toxing.. what a waste of precious time! Anyway he seemed ok he said - only little reservation I have is that apparently he made a fuss and said he wouldn't share a room with anyone... mmm I just know when I went down there I was on my knees - no arrogance and certainly not arrogant enough to insist on a single room... made me a bit worried..

anyway - just had my dinner and now going to do more of nothing - have to go for my hips 6 month check up tomorrow so a nice day off work!
    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Molls, thought they didn't do detox?
      Mind you I out of one de-tox straight into the off-license. That would be the second one......no wonder they call it being in the madness.........my body was sober but my brain wasn't.

Mt JC's got his hippy checkup next month. His is 6 and a half years old. Think the amount we've paid in hospital car parks will be able to buy several dialysis machines.
      Because he's had one done its taken a lot of pressure (not sure if that's the right word) of the other one. So its not progressing into crumbliness (honestly I'd be a crap doctor).......so there may be no need for that one to be done.
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

It's another facility different spot so apparently they do?!...
        I've 2 crumbly knees and another crumbly hip...he reckons arthritis set in bout 30 years ago! Best ignored

Comment

Evening All,
          Yes indeed. Sadly I can't see that girl stopping until she is stopped. And yes, Pauly, people like her make prosecution even harder than it already is.

I've also had a lifelong phobia of phones. And 'drop ins'. I'd rather drive for hours to see someone than phone them and bang on. No wonder there is so much social anxiety among young people these days when they have their heads in a gadget so much that they fail to develop social skills. It might be a cliche but it's true. The amount of special consideration that has to be doled out to students due to anxiety where I work is gobsmacking.

Interesting what you say about your body being sober but not your head, JC. Been thinking a lot about that of late in my mission never to repeat offend. Just wondering if sobriety is something that I did consciously and with purpose, or just yet another habit that I got myself into for years. Big difference in those two attitudes.

I've made the mistake of sitting down in front of the heater. I'll never get my missions done for the evening now.
          If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
          Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Because of some conversations in the Newbies nest, I’ve been thinking about that too, Bridget. I have decided that at least for me, being actively sober is important. Participating on ‘my way out’ is one way to do that. I think we all have the good habit of not drinking but we still have the neural connections there to lead us quickly back into addicted drinking and we are constantly told by society in general and sometimes friends and family in particular that we ought to ‘have a drink’. I want the reminder that I need to keep up this habit!

Comment

Originally posted by byebyebridgetjones View Post
              Interesting what you say about your body being sober but not your head, JC. Been thinking a lot about that of late in my mission never to repeat offend. Just wondering if sobriety is something that I did consciously and with purpose, or just yet another habit that I got myself into for years. Big difference in those two attitudes.
              Trying hard how to put this but I'll have a go. My sobriety is my main priority and I own it like a precious gem. In the beginning, it was hard as I had to be selfish..........I did turn down invites, I did leave things early (I still do). How many of us sought out 'cures'.....one eye open, sobbing with a glass in hand scouring the internet for the fools gold.....so what's the cure?

So I'm different, we're all different we should celebrate that difference. We may be ashamed of things we have done and people we have hurt but by staying sober we can show we have changed. I get excited for people who post their day one that they will come to realise that while life's not all puppies & sunshine & rainbows and sh*t happens but the 'cure' is not alcohol.
              Sobriety brings out our strengths we recogiise our weakneses. We learn to cope. We learn there's no answer at the bottom of a glass. Our brains heal and finally we grow up to be the person we always had inside.

Although this grown up is over excited about our new loft ladder and I've got a free afternoon with The Tudors.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Cross-post there, Sugarbabe.
                Agree completely.
                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Questions

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
                  It's another facility different spot so apparently they do?!...
                  Will he go into re-hab?

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
                  I've 2 crumbly knees and another crumbly hip...he reckons arthritis set in bout 30 years ago! Best ignored
                  How does he know that? Did you have a scan?
                  They blamed Mr JC's on his height & weight.
                  AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
                    Because of some conversations in the Newbies nest, I’ve been thinking about that too, Bridget. I have decided that at least for me, being actively sober is important. Participating on ‘my way out’ is one way to do that. I think we all have the good habit of not drinking but we still have the neural connections there to lead us quickly back into addicted drinking and we are constantly told by society in general and sometimes friends and family in particular that we ought to ‘have a drink’. I want the reminder that I need to keep up this habit!
                    This. I've wanted to log out of mwo and not come back just because I'm frustrated that it's gotten so slow,lack of traffic and not many posts anymore but I need to be actively working on my goal of staying sober so I stay and if it's super slow here I head over to soberrecovery if I'm really having a hard day and need extra enforcement,some of those posts are like touching an electronic fence to keep me off the boozing!
                    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
                      Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                      Trying hard how to put this but I'll have a go. My sobriety is my main priority and I own it like a precious gem. In the beginning, it was hard as I had to be selfish..........I did turn down invites, I did leave things early (I still do). How many of us sought out 'cures'.....one eye open, sobbing with a glass in hand scouring the internet for the fools gold.....so what's the cure?

So I'm different, we're all different we should celebrate that difference. We may be ashamed of things we have done and people we have hurt but by staying sober we can show we have changed. I get excited for people who post their day one that they will come to realise that while life's not all puppies & sunshine & rainbows and sh*t happens but the 'cure' is not alcohol.
                      Sobriety brings out our strengths we recogiise our weakneses. We learn to cope. We learn there's no answer at the bottom of a glass. Our brains heal and finally we grow up to be the person we always had inside.

Although this grown up is over excited about our new loft ladder and I've got a free afternoon with The Tudors.
                      Afternoon all!! just back from my check-up - interesting posts there.. I think really what it comes down to is avoiding being what they call in AA and rehab being a 'dry drunk' -- putting down the drink IS the easy part even tho it might not seem that way at the beginning.. I always considered I was the luckiest person on the planet to get 28 days in treatment -- all to myself and then 2 years of shared Aftercare.. I still think that - I was brainwashed in the nicest possible way - inevitably in the course of a natural life imo there WILL be occasions/tragedies/fuck me moments...for everyone -- it's how your brain processes that in the background that matters --- and that process MUST be learned - it's NOT automatic.. for me undeniably it's AA -- nothing else substitutes I know that from this year.. but whatever works for you.. but going it alone -- nah -- think it's very very dangerous
                      Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                      Questions

Will he go into re-hab?

How does he know that? Did you have a scan?
                      They blamed Mr JC's on his height & weight.
                      Yes - the Aiseiri he's in is in Cahir and they do de-tox AND rehab apparently

EDIT -- missed this bit -- yup full scan revealed a bod riddled with arthritis - genetic? I dunno - but my mum and sister both had terrible arthritis.. ah what about it - I'm as active as I've ever been - just aches a bit more

Originally posted by paulywogg View Post
                      This. I've wanted to log out of mwo and not come back just because I'm frustrated that it's gotten so slow,lack of traffic and not many posts anymore but I need to be actively working on my goal of staying sober so I stay and if it's super slow here I head over to soberrecovery if I'm really having a hard day and need extra enforcement,some of those posts are like touching an electronic fence to keep me off the boozing!
                      It's great that you have another site as well as MWO - because it really is too slow here - and also no newbies to speak of -- and again - imo - reading their stories can remind us of why we won't and can't go back there again. You're playing a blinder this time Pauly…. how are you feeling about your life at the minute? Do you miss the grog?
                      Last edited by mollyka; September 30, 2019, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Good night everyone. Lots of great reading tonight. Sorry you have arthritis Molly, am sure the damp climate does not help it and what a day we had today, monsoon. Feet up at the fire, have had a busy evening playing catch up so it will be an early night for me.

Comment

Just popped over to the Newbies nest and found this.

Originally posted by Guitarista View Post
                          Hi gang,
                          Hi LC. I don't rule out AA just because they all say 'my names _ and i'm an alcoholic'. I don't really label myself, except to think of myself as a guy who had a problem with booze and finds life much much fuller, better and easier when i stop. So for me, i've gone to occasional meetings over the years (might hit another this year for a recharge) and if i've shared (sometimes not often) i don't care when i say 'my names...alcoholic' because the benefits of being in that room for me are big. Connection and warmth, and inspiration from the many sober gems in attendance who are welcoming and willing to help. I just use their terminology even though i'm not keen on labels. The AA program has so much wisdom and common sense to learn from and plug into, that i just go and take what i need, leave the rest. It's not perfect for everyone, but i see that the 12 steps are a solid code for living and rebuilding lives when we are lost. It is a solid road map to learn to live again. I take my blinkers off, and take away all the good stuff that's relevant to me.
                          Have a great week y'all.
                          I'm very much a dropper in. Depends on when I'm in town.
                          I've seen inspirational shares, mind boggling boring ones, many that have I related to me that makes me think they must have been hiding somewhere in our house over the last 30 years.
                          Oddly enough I'm now quite pally with a woman who 12 stepped me more than once about 11/12 years ago..........tbh at the time I hated the very bones of her at the time. Met her again when I went to work at the sober cafe and by then I realised she was actually talking sense.

[MENTION=7261]Guitarista[/MENTION].....also while I was over there saw you had a dodgy tummy..........flat cola/or lemonade. Works wonders.
                          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Working...
                          X