November 2019: International Army

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: November 2019: International Army

This is great - now let's keep it going..and no nonsense about not being able to talk about drinking or anything else...going to bed now..talk tomorrow!
    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Jeez, I see I missed my inaugural thread opening duties but more than happy to do so in future, from the future.

You are right Molly. It's all climates in one place here. You can have full tropical to cool - take your pick. Even the difference between Mr G's place and mine is considerable.

I have not bloody stopped for days. Busy and important.

SO HAPPY with the idea of a global sober community thread.
      If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
      Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Oh, and long as we've gone global - for transparency I feel that the world should know that I've got a massive crush on someone at work and I had a dirty little dream about him last night.:happy2:

Would be unprofessional to do anything about it but that's OK.
        Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Morning from up over land.
          Who says romance is dead when on Rugby World cup final day........ Mr JC arrives downstairs in his underpants, black socks and a large England flag round his shoulders.........I've just stopped laughing and he's got changed.
          Of course the last world cup we won I spent it in an alcoholic haze and tbh don't remember a lot.
          [MENTION=9170]byebyebridgetjones[/MENTION]...............you must buy a notebook and draw hearts with his initials scrawled all over.
          It could be worse, I could be filing.
          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Good morning everyone. Had forgotten the rugby is on, here crocheting in bed. Enjoy JC, as Molly said yesterday we are the lucky ones. Are you trying to make Mr G jealous Bridget, lol.

Book club today. Lovely bunch of ladies, nice coffee and a chat. Great seeing all the new people on our thread.

Comment

Morning Army! International Army at that :applouse:

Lovely to be off on a Sat.. first time I've been able to post on my laptop since I came home.. busy here too!! My baby is having relationship problems so is inclined to drift home my heart goes out to them cos they are both lovely - but very young with a lot to deal with.. don't see it working in the long run tbh.
              Now where are all those men gone? can't be having a flit in and gone MrV MrG Mick! and needless to say.. all us ladies ;-)
              Not bothered with the rugby -- no interest really - was so sad when the All-Blacks went - just think they are oh I dunno - mercurial I think I'd call them.. even if they did wallop us!
              No great plans for the day - shopping deffo needed - it's a lovely day here tho so maybe out on the bike.. bit cool mebbe..

Comment

mornig all....jist watching the rugby..england are getting skelped atm.
                af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

I’ve never seen a game of rugby but know it is fun to care about a team that is doing well. Hope you get to celebrate a win!
                  [MENTION=9757]NoraC[/MENTION], I miss reading about your relationship with your mom. You helped me understand and be more patient with mine. I’m visiting her this weekend and am sad to see that her memory and competence have faded further. When I start getting annoyed or frustrated, I ask myself
                  “What would Nora do?”. And then do that. I’ve also learned from you what my dad probably goes through behind the scenes as her 24/7 caregiver. If not for that, I would just buy his “everything is fine” stories. A couple of times it has been fortunate that I pressed him on what is really going on. So, thank you. xx

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
                    Morning ALL!! And I mean all!! Let's not forget we are the lucky ones...Joe's pal was back drinking like a mad fella within a week of coming out of treatment...I gather he doesn't even have electricity in his house now...he's about to get a huge pension and lump sum from his job so I can only see one direction from here...we REALLY are the lucky ones -so many never come out the other end..so sad
                    I agree with Molly that we are indeed the lucky ones! Many of us have hit "rock bottom" , some have only had a glimpse of it. Either way, it only takes a moment to chuck away our sobriety by taking that first drink. It frightens me at how easily this can happen. I was watching something on tv the other day, and there were several ads for booze. Damn, those folks can make poison look like nectar, and out of the blue, I had the most intense craving. Thankfully, there was no booze in the house at the time, because I know that I would have succumbed to that urge. It scares me that we can be so strong in our quit one minute, and so fragile the next.

Hope that everyone has a great day, and don't forget to feel lucky!!
                    Last edited by Jude58; November 2, 2019, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Yes, JC, I'm going to make him a mixed tape of songs and possibly carve his initials into the desk at work. Then when he calls security on me I'll say it was one of the students.
                      I'm not looking forward to that phase with my parents NS. Mum has been just ever so slightly perplexed of late...
                      Right you are, Jude. The biggest challenge is to enjoy sobriety without becoming complacent.

Enjoying a marathon stream of ''Wisting" (Norwegian crime series) before bed.
                      Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Happy to be a "lucky" one, with some work to go. Woke up this morning with a friend posting proudly on FB that he is 24 years sober. Now that is something to look forward to. Hope I make it that long. (Sober and age wise)

Comment

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
                          I’ve never seen a game of rugby but know it is fun to care about a team that is doing well. Hope you get to celebrate a win!
                          [MENTION=9757]NoraC[/MENTION], I miss reading about your relationship with your mom. You helped me understand and be more patient with mine. I’m visiting her this weekend and am sad to see that her memory and competence have faded further. When I start getting annoyed or frustrated, I ask myself
                          “What would Nora do?”. And then do that. I’ve also learned from you what my dad probably goes through behind the scenes as her 24/7 caregiver. If not for that, I would just buy his “everything is fine” stories. A couple of times it has been fortunate that I pressed him on what is really going on. So, thank you. xx
                          agreed NS -- and omg it is such a difficult time in life.. and it is a gift for your Dad that you dig deeper than the 'fine' stories as you call it!! Naturally he doesn't want to worry you.. but what a relief for him to be able to open up a bit I bet... as I said before-- nothing but admiration for Nora and others... I would love to do my mum's last years over again.. dunno how I could have made it different - but I would!

Originally posted by Jude58 View Post
                          I agree with Molly that we are indeed the lucky ones! Many of us have hit "rock bottom" , some have only had a glimpse of it. Either way, it only takes a moment to chuck away our sobriety by taking that first drink. It frightens me at how easily this can happen. I was watching something on tv the other day, and there were several ads for booze. Damn, those folks can make poison look like nectar, and out of the blue, I had the most intense craving. Thankfully, there was no booze in the house at the time, because I know that I would have succumbed to that urge. It scares me that we can be so strong in our quit one minute, and so fragile the next.

Hope that everyone has a great day, and don't forget to feel lucky!!
                          If I learnt absolutely nothing in the last few years but how to deal with that fragility Jude I'd have learnt an awful lot - and I agree - 5 days in an all-inclusive hotel with my daughter and her quaffing away at a rate of knots... drink at an arm bend from me at every turn... I automatically 'play the tape through till the end' as they used to say in treatment... my daughter with a sore head after a few cocktails or a few glasses of wine is not ever ever ever going to be the same outcome as me so much as taking a sip... so yeah - it makes it easy -- you know -- it's not like with like..
                          Originally posted by Mr Vervill View Post
                          Happy to be a "lucky" one, with some work to go. Woke up this morning with a friend posting proudly on FB that he is 24 years sober. Now that is something to look forward to. Hope I make it that long. (Sober and age wise)
                          and we all can and will Mr V -- one day at a time tho -- 24 years in a chunk sounds a bit daunting:happy2:
                          Last edited by mollyka; November 2, 2019, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
                            Morning ALL!! And I mean all!! Let's not forget we are the lucky ones...Joe's pal was back drinking like a mad fella within a week of coming out of treatment...I gather he doesn't even have electricity in his house now...he's about to get a huge pension and lump sum from his job so I can only see one direction from here...we REALLY are the lucky ones -so many never come out the other end..so sad
                            I was going to put an edit on this but its a long way back -- update of Joe's pal -- apparently when he went down to the treatment centre - not only did he fuss about a room on his own - but he said that 'most of the others were only there to get out of going to jail' -- as if ANY of this was about the others - it's supposed to be about him.. but he obviously thought he was better than them.. this lad who hasn't got an arse in his trousers -- he had a very high up civil service job and in some BIZARRE way he thinks that living without heat or food and his family irretrievably gone - is somehow better than others who probably WILL get sober... so so so stupid -- and a reminder to all of us when we think 'I'm not as bad as' or 'I'm not like them (at AA or who went to rehab or who maybe got a DUI)' -- somehow better than anyone else when in actual fact they are in the gutter- in their heads at least -- bizarre

Comment

Hola friends,

Hi Mollstar. Re Joe's pal. Booze really does distort and warp our thinking and hence our reality. I remember such distortion very well. We come up with all sorts of illusory scenario's. All based on our AL soaked perceptions. At least he's in the right place. Hope he gets a grip.

Hello to all. Have a gr8 weekend.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Originally posted by byebyebridgetjones View Post
                                I've got a massive crush on someone at work and I had a dirty little dream about him last night.:happy2:
                                I bet he's a knitter and favours tight pink shirts......

(not that there's anything wrong with that).
                                Last edited by Guitarista; November 2, 2019, 03:04 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                                X