December 2019: International Army

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: December 2019: International Army

Hey Nursie -- great to see you and that you're getting life sorted again.. delighted for you.. do you know - the CHAOS this lad has caused in the last few days.. jeez-- just can't imagine being the source of that chaos -- the humiliation of it!

Still not 100% sure what happened - he announced that he didn't want to go cos they wouldn't let him drink on holiday - now I don't know where he got that - the lads were well aware that in his circumstances he couldn't go cold turkey - it could be fatal - so it was literally going to be a matter of keeping him safe... anyway - he was heading home apparently in a taxi and he had a seizure - so bottom line between the jigs and reels he's now in the hospital --- again... they made sure anyone who should know would know about where he was and all - and they headed off then -- didn't seem much point in hanging around I think... he truly has wet brain I think - no idea practically who anyone is... awful... but (and this is an addict speaking) I don't think I could cope with all that chaos...

Rod Stewart was playing in Belfast on Monday - place was jammers when we were up there... not a hotel room to be had apparently
    Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
    contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Afternoon all. Oh love Rod Stewart, how did we miss that osteroops: aw well still had a lovely night. There was a little Xmas market in Trinity so we browsed around that, listened to a few carols and then headed to Brasserie 66 for food. Delicious ��. Totally enjoyed the concert, very nostalgic. Over by 10.15 so home by 11.30, perfect night. The few who did drink, it was literally one drink with meal and another at concert! The majority were not drinking.

Sorry about your uncle Mary, very young. Not surprised that guy has wet brain if he is drinking that amount Molly. Can’t be helped if he does not want the help. Had carpet cleaner in this morning so the cleaning continues.

Comment

Originally posted by Jude58 View Post
        [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION]....I know what you mean about the breweries and the bar scene. I live in the Finger Lakes area in NY, which is flooded with wineries! The conditions near the lakes are ideal for growing grapes, and the region is popular with the tourists as well as the locals! Wine tastings are the rage, and I can remember (surprisingly) one Christmas eve dancing on the tables with the owner of the winery!
        The bars here are also crowded, especially those with a sports theme. People pack the place to watch the major sports events, especially football! Of course, every commercial between plays is booze related! I was always more of a home drinker, considering the massive amounts of wine that I consumed. I would never have been able to afford the bar tab!
        I didn’t realize that the Finger Lakes region of New York was such a good place for vineyards! It’s supposed to be beautiful there. Good place to visit, Satz & Co.!

I was trying to allude to the historical underpinnings of Wisconsin, where it has always been a big drinking area; with lax drunk-driving laws (that’s been changing now), Prohibition stopped being enforced here in 1929 rather than waiting for the national repeal in 1933, we’re always at the top of the list for problematic drinking stats in the states, etc.
        By now the brewery industry has dwindled and it’s just like any other place: filled with craft breweries, sports bars, some wineries & wine bars; and the latest craze is bringing back beer gardens in the parks (those went away during Prohibition).
        Last edited by Slo; December 5, 2019, 11:15 AM.
        Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Afternoon Army
          Heading to work for a few hours soon.
          Just an observation :
          Twice this week I've heard the same sentence being said. Typical of Irish mentality - not sure of the rest of the world

Dope: Are you coming to party we can get drunk
          Me : I don't drink
          Dope : Why ? Did you ever drink?
          Me: Yes - but I stopped.
          Dope : why ? Ohhhh you must have been an alcoholic ha! ha! Ha!

And in work over heard this:
          Carer : Let's go get drunk on a Baileys Maud
          Maud a resident: I don't drink
          Carer : Did you ever drink ?
          Maud: yes I did - I gave it up
          Carer: why ? ohhh Maud you must have been an alcoholic ha! ha! ha!

I have no words

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
            [MENTION=15947]Nursie[/MENTION], lovely to see you. Don't be a stranger and let us help you. :hug:
            [MENTION=15947]Nursie[/MENTION] - what Mrs woman up there says - join the gang ...

Comment

An alcoholic seizure is one of the scariest things I've ever seen.
              Can't stop long as Mr. JC's got his pals round watching a match.
              It could be worse, I could be filing.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Hi folks - only in the door so haven't read back.... am I missing shit good stuff? back as far as Jackie -- (previous post haha) - I never saw an alcoholic seizure but they sound horrendous - anyway - tomorrow I'm off - and so is Jilly - so we're going to town (feck all to buy so it'll be wandering and listening to carols and picking up rubbish at Christmas stalls - that sort of day) - really looking forward to it.. less so the hour Jilly wants to go at.... jaysus - she may be used to pre-dawn rising - I sure as hell ain't!!
                Now I'll read back
                Last edited by mollyka; December 5, 2019, 03:41 PM.

Comment

[MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION], Dopes dad works with me. A very nice man mind you, but an identical reaction on hearing that I didnt drink. Then, in fairness, he was very embarrassed and was awkward for months when drink was being discussed. Which is a lot. So I let him stew.

Sounds like a nice few days at the conference Bridge I hate conferences. Even ones just for a day. Its just fake.

Well done [MENTION=15947]Nursie[/MENTION]!

Am way behind on my shopping. Pick us up a few bits there tomorrow Molly.. [MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION], I'll send you on my list too, just in case your passing the shops...
                  AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

morning all just a quick drop in to see how the world is turning in all 4 corners of the earth...even tho its round.Poets day today ,the weekend is nearly here,time to go out and spend oodles of dosh on all those chrimbo presents for all and sundry..to be greeted with a "thanks ....just what I wanted" anyway do enjoy one n all
                    af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Morning,
                      Molls, it was in an AA meeting. One of the longer sober members noticed it way before it actually happened. The older members just jumped into action. Ambulance called. Recovery position. It was like clockwork. I don't think I've ever been so frightened and another long termer sat and held my hand. The kindness and non-judgemental attitude will stay with me the rest of my life.

Off to pick up my mother's string of pearls that I was supposed to wear at the wedding and somehow lost between our bedroom and downstairs. They fell out off the drawer we put bills, bank statements, take out menus and found the beggars again the a couple of weeks ago when I was looking for an Indian take-out menu.
                      They've been re-strung and ready now. Might give them to Jenny as she's the only one in the family with the tidy gene.

Mr. JC's like a pig in muck as they're showing Premiership football free on Amazon for a month.
                      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

I was always talking about grog, slipping it into my sentences-and obviously I'm an alki. Wonder what their excuse is?

Conference is over thank God Mary. The other thing is too much food and you're just sitting around all day. I was chucking it at people every couple of hours. Highly successful though so all good. Exhausted from all of the facing off with people so I'm off to bed.
                        If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                        Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Good night Bridget. Glad conference went well. Just a quick check in as need to go pick himself up from work. Think he would prefer to be in Mr JC’s place lol

Comment

Evening! got in from my shopping day about an hour ago and conked out on the couch -- pure EXHAUSTED!! Had a lovely day but spent far too much money on the wee ones - I'll have to relentlessly lie to Joe or he'll freak!! we were s'posed to cut Christmas back a bit (a BIG bit) when he sold the business... sod it - I'll get loads of fun on the day - and that's what counts haha!!

Never been to a conference either -- gather I haven't missed much Bridgy..? sleep tight.

Now that you mention it Jacks - I do remember someone being taken out of an AA meeting years and years ago - they were distressed and shaking... in hindsight yeah - everyone seemed to know what to do so that was probably what was happening there too.

Anyone watch 8 Days -- it's really really good

Comment

Ooh, Molls, watcha got me
                              Got our Jenny using the JC's hotel tonight. She's up here for a night with the 'girls', dossing here and a lift to the station in the morning all for free. She was going to get the train back to York but I had visions of her falling asleep and waking up in London.
                              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

[MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION] what are we supposed to do when someone having a seizure ? ( just in case it ever happens) :egad:

I hated those conferences with a vengeance Mers - I agree SOOO fake.
                                And yes [MENTION=9170]byebyebridgetjones[/MENTION] - at the end of 3 days - 20 lbs heavier from eating all the crap.

Comment

Working...
                                X