FORWARD -- MARCH --- ARMY March 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FORWARD -- MARCH --- ARMY March 2020

I'm here...............we're playing West Brom even though we're in the lead 3-0.............its still very tense.
    Bacinabit.
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

That was tough and close. But we won through to the quarter-finals of the FA cup. The lad next door was round watching it..............he doesn't have iPlayer
      Yooo hoo to Bacman (why does the old Batman theme tune go through my mind)...............I didn't know eels had bones.
      Some news about the virus...........remember my friend whos son teaches in China.................. he went back last Thursday. He'll miss his Greggs pasties.
      Himself is of to Leeds tomorrow on a course. You'd think he knew everything about the law after 40 years in the business.
      Getting the hang of this library...........its quite qauint and old fashioned. No bar codes and a proper stamper thingy for when you have to have your books back.
      Last edited by JackieClaire; March 3, 2020, 05:20 PM.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

I don't feel (physically) any older now than I did 10 or 20 years ago.. so why not work... (tho I do think at 73 you deserve to 'put your feet up' Whiz!!) -- it's just my opinion and I know lots and lots don't agree in this country anyway - but - shit - we can't afford as a nation to be paying out a state pension to folks who are perfectly hale and hearty! - on that note - getting ready for work -- talk later xx
        Molls. I for one don't give a feck whether the country can afford it. I want my pension - especially as ageism is still rife in this country & older folk have to work for buttons & be grateful for it.
        I too feel physically fit - but I know the whizz kids coming up will outstrip me some day when it comes to technology.
        Being constantly on the laptop has stood to me thank feck for MWO - because good love them, the women I've seen around my age recently in the workplace have not got a clue when it comes to "techy things" - "oh I can't do "techy things"
        FFS - Just switch it on...it's like a mental block with them - and the younger ones just raise their eyes to heaven - their suspicions confirmed.

That's what is great about my new job - I am a "wizard" on the ol computer .... :haha: ( I'm not - but they think I am)
        I was actually shown the 'on' button the other day on the computer - and if I want to get on to the internet or anything "need to ring tech support".

Comment

THats gas Satz, I work in IT and the amount of young ones with a mental block is not funny! Now the phones are a different kettle of fish..

I suppose China is a big place [MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION], maybe where he lives is not quite as bad.

Started reading She said - v interesting so far.
          AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Just dropped by to say hola Army!
            “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

I just noticed that Ive lost my subscription.. Yikes!
              “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

Hi Techie...my sub is gone too..can't afford the big lump at the minute and the monthly options are way off so need to enquire
                I don't agree Satz..truly the country would go broke ..and it's up to US to keep up..our brains don't go away..and I agree with Mary..a lot of the young ones are absolutely useless where I work ..similarly a lot of older folk could buy and sell them. It's too easy imo to use age as an excuse..if we can't do the job well then it's not ageism .. I may have had to strive hard to keep up..but no way will I let myself become side-lined because of age..many years ago I worked with a woman who refused to use 'new fangled inventions'...she was talking about a calculator.....in a BANK!! Nope as long as I can ..I'll keep doing!!
                Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Good morning everyone. Sun is shining and it is cold and frosty.

My foot is still painful but my main worry is not being ready for my big run in April.

Comment

Morning,
                    Excuse me if I'm a bit terse..............worst night sleep in an age and I'm as grumpy as shit and when I did drop off ..........Mr. JC had to get up ........... he'd had an early start as he's in Leeds on a course and decided to take the car.

[MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION]...........he was desperate to get back. He teaches Maths & Chemistry and wasn't get paid. His mum couldn't afford to keep subbing him and the schools are back to open. Well not ony that but his partner was missing him and getting fed up of taking the bins out herself. Looks like China is back to business as usual.

[MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION]..........you've still got your pencil. Did you get sorted?

My Gran worked 'til she was 70 as a chambermaid in a posh hotel. Me and my brother got some lovely cutlery and china when we bought our houses ...........how can I put this 'purloined' from the place. Any food leftover from the night before was sent home with the staff.
                    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Evening everyone. Busy day running around getting car serviced etc. I guess everyone is different, some dread retirement and more thrive on it. Anyone I know who is retired are having the time of their lives. Guess life is what you make it but it’s all about choice. Kate and William are here for a few days, media full of it. It’s a break from the corona virus.

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
                        Hi Techie...my sub is gone too..can't afford the big lump at the minute and the monthly options are way off so need to enquire
                        I don't agree Satz..truly the country would go broke ..and it's up to US to keep up..our brains don't go away..and I agree with Mary..a lot of the young ones are absolutely useless where I work ..similarly a lot of older folk could buy and sell them. It's too easy imo to use age as an excuse..if we can't do the job well then it's not ageism .. I may have had to strive hard to keep up..but no way will I let myself become side-lined because of age..many years ago I worked with a woman who refused to use 'new fangled inventions'...she was talking about a calculator.....in a BANK!! Nope as long as I can ..I'll keep doing!!
                        Sorry Molls - but I believe you'd see more of what I'm talking about if you ever had to leave your job and try to get another .... I'm talking from experience here. People of a certain age do not even get to interview stage in a 'decent' job.
                        .... I have to work very hard every day to prove myself & not be put in the 'ol wan / part-time / working for pin money category'. That is ageism.

I have never used age as an excuse. People are pigeon-holed at a certain age - currently 65 which means you are no longer useful to the workforce. It will take a long time to change that mindset.
                        If we want to keep working employers use it as an excuse to pay pittance.
                        Last edited by satz123; March 4, 2020, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Yeah I get that..and thankfully I don't have to or want to change jobs..but the point I'm making is..I know I'm not just in my job cos they can't get rid of me..I keep my skill set going and know I'm as useful as anyone else...and the point I'm making is ..not that there isn't ageism..I don't doubt there is..just as there is sexism and racism etc..all of which are appalling..all I am saying is..my age doesn't define me cos I don't let myself become out of touch with technology etc.. and I cannot for anything see why I should retire at 65..and I do still believe with the age profile in the country we would be crazy to be paying a pension to perfectly able bodied active people which ultimately will undoubtedly beggar the country..but look ..it's only my opinion and I have a right to my opinion as you have a right to yours..that's all!!

Comment

I can imagine that Satz. I work in a predominantly male environment and its experience plus ability that counts - age is irrelevant. I do wonder if its harder for an older female, rather than an older male. I suppose it depends on the industry/position etc.

Id like to think I'll keep going as long as I can, but who knows.

I did read that things were calming down a bit in China [MENTION=7008]JackieClaire[/MENTION]. He must have been itching to get back.
                            Few more cases in Galway now. Interesting to see how this one pans out..never a dull moment!
                            AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Wonder how they got it so bad in Italy..
                              For all my blather bout working forever -- wouldn't mind 14 days paid quarantine!!!
                              I may be protected from the ageism stuff - maybe I'm lucky - but like Mary it is DEFFO down to ability and experience.. some of the men TRY to be superior (sexism as opposed to ageism) but they get put in their place quick enough!! If anything we need more men in the management structure - an awful lot of women - and they are like a coven..

Comment

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
                                Sorry Molls - but I believe you'd see more of what I'm talking about if you ever had to leave your job and try to get another .... I'm talking from experience here. People of a certain age do not even get to interview stage in a 'decent' job.
                                .... I have to work very hard every day to prove myself & not be put in the 'ol wan / part-time / working for pin money category'. That is ageism.
                                A colleague of mind just got promoted at 64 - she actually went up 2 grades so pretty impressive.. I got a promotion when I was 61 and it just wasn't an issue - maybe you have been unlucky.. the 'care' industry has always been appalling as regards work practices.. in fact - I reckon they leave themselves open to discrimination cases... all I'm saying is it's not rife everywhere. Joe always took on older staff (at the same rate as anyone else I hasten to add) cos they were more reliable.

Comment

Working...
                                X