X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Army Manoeuvres - March 21

Originally posted by IamMary View Post
    Well said Bridge.

Mr M bought a bottle of prosecco this evening. Looked at it, realised that that it was alcohol free and said, Interesting, I wonder what thats like, and proceeded to sip it like any other wine.
    If that had been me, I would have been RAGING! back into the car or moved onto to the next bottle (hopefully, I had a few spare, if not, I was going to be in a serious pickle).
    [MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION]
    Oh Mers happened to me years ago - I was in such a hurry to get the wine I didn't see the label until I got home. I was FUMING :rant:
    I HAD to go back out again - no way was I drinking that muck.

To me alcohol-free drinks are as pointless as decaffeinated coffee & tea - what is the point of them when the ingredient we want has been taken out ..... ?
    What next - tobacco free cigarettes ?

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
      Just nipping in to say nighty night.
      My parents went in their 70s .........in-laws 92 & 96 still with all their marbles in their own home and Pa-in-law does the Times crossword every day......fair enough he does get stuck sometimes and gives me a ring to look up something on the internet but that's usually for the prize one. He's never won the £100 prize.
      Actually, they do have the internet but for some reason won't use it for anything else apart from when they need to send an e-mail.
      See yous lot in the morning...........remember the clocks go forward tonight.
      Nighty night JC !!

Comment

Love Avoca, hope it was lovely Rustop.
        And your walk too Molls, the 5k rule is ridiculous, we have been generous with our measurements a few times too

How far can you travel in the UK?

Originally posted by satz123 View Post
        [MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION]
        Oh Mers happened to me years ago - I was in such a hurry to get the wine I didn't see the label until I got home. I was FUMING :rant:
        I HAD to go back out again - no way was I drinking that muck.
        You must have been in a mad hurry not to check all the labels to get highest in strength, like those South african reds, that you would wear on your face the next day!!

My folks got vaccinated today :yay:
        AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
          Ok, dog people, I need HELP! Puppy is very calm and settled while we are eating, working, watching TV, etc. which is really appreciated. However, if we are trying to do something like cook or clean, she woofs at us, waits a bit, woofs again, and does not let up. I've tried giving her a treat during the quiet interludes and praising her for being quiet and settled but so far, limited success. Any advice would be great!!
          No advice but I've got a 12.5 year old retriever who follows me absolutely everywhere and controls my entire day including bedtime with her barking. Get on it, is my only comment!

Originally posted by rustop59 View Post
          Myself and hubby going down to Avoca to the garden centre. It’s an Irish store with lovely food and an even nicer garden centre. That’s the highlight of the weekend.
          That would be the highlight of my year. All of our lovely small nurseries died out because of drought and big-box type shops. I would just adore that. Have fun!

Originally posted by starty View Post
          More bad news re Mr s auntie, stage 4 cancer and not long to live. Very sad and brings back clearly the loss of mum with the same illness
          I'm sorry to hear that. I tell you what though, good on Mr S for choosing life over money. So many people I know have started to value lifestyle and time over anything else over the last year. It's a great trend.

I'm glad to hear you're taking it one day at a time Brit.There's no hurrying this one. I'm also glad you've got some good friends to spend some time with. Even if it's just a little walk, it means a lot I think.

I'd love to see more Mikey photos if you can JC.

Glad the parents got their shots Mary. Hopefully no side effects.

Molly, I think that will be one of the most important decisions you will ever make. Is there anything to stop you picking up a bit of work here and there, maybe join the casual pool for the odd day's work? But you won't be invested any more and it maybe won't affect you. Big win, I hope.
          If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
          Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Morning, just.
            Here he is looking at his new tug rop. He's not tugged on it but thrown it around a lot and pounced on it. Although his favourite is a practice golf ball. He has no interest in the squeaky duck we bought him despite us telling him it wasn't cheap.

Last edited by JackieClaire; March 28, 2021, 05:59 AM.
            It could be worse, I could be filing.
            AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Nothing to report from this part of the world apart from the effing clocks changing. If today is supposed to be the beginning of Spring its baltic and windy........two of my un-favourite weather statuses.
              Humdinger of a row with Mr. JC last night which will be resolved sometime today. We don't row often but gawd when we do they're legendary and we forget what started it.
              I didn't sleep well so may take my coffee and lie on the bed re-reading one of my favourite books 'A 1000 years of annoying the French'.
              I'll be taking his Royal Highness Mikey with me.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by starty View Post
                NS its great that pup has periods of calm. So to me that tells me she knows how to be calm but as soon as you start moving, she thinks its time to play. Or it could even be a bit of separation anxiety if she doesnt leave your side at all? If it was me, I would be teaching her calm in different scenarios. Has she been crate trained? If she has, can you teach her time out in her crate? That absolutely doesnt mean locking her away for ages but teaching her that the crate is her den and place for peace and quiet. Does she follow you whenever you move? Can you give her bone or stuffed kong or even a puzzle toy to keep her occupied and teach her that time away from you is OK? Obvioulsy to start, will only be a few mins but like all training it can be built up. Also, without realising it you might be rewarding her for her barking so she carries it on. The vid i posted above might help to teach her calm. From that you can practise doing it at distance, then add duration and then distraction ie calm when you are hoovering for example. I do feel for you guys with pups, it isnt easy.
                Thanks for the help, Starty. I think it relates to our moving around makes her think she has a chance to be the center of attention and play. I tried the 5 min in the crate yesterday when I was making dinner and she did settle down so that might help. I just want to avoid her having any negative feelings about the crate because she has slept there without incident for 7-8 hours each night with no problem and I don't want to risk that! And it is tricky to reward her for being quiet when she has barked first. I'm trying to wait awhile after the barking before the reward but if it were me, I'd bark for the treat! Anyway, I'll keep trying your tricks!!

My 2 previous goldens were pretty docile in their old age, Bridget. I'd maybe get a thump of the tail when I returned from being out. But when I was home, they were constant, quiet companions which was really nice. In fact, I knew it was about time to let the first one go when she no longer had the energy or interest to move with me from place to place around the yard as I gardened. It's nice that at her age it sounds like your dog is still animated and in charge of her world!

It does seem like this pandemic has lead many people to re-examine how they were living their lives before. I think some changes will come from the top down such as no longer paying for flights for in-person meetings that they now know can be done online but others will come from the bottom up when workers move to reclaim the lives they now know their jobs were stealing from them. It would be great is positive change could come from this awful time.

I'm thinking of you, Brit, and hoping you're finding some times of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by byebyebridgetjones View Post

Molly, I think that will be one of the most important decisions you will ever make. Is there anything to stop you picking up a bit of work here and there, maybe join the casual pool for the odd day's work? But you won't be invested any more and it maybe won't affect you. Big win, I hope.
                  I'm more than happy with my decision Bridge --- slept on it a couple of times and all -- listening to Starty and MrStarty and how content they are to 'step back' -- I envy that and intend to do the same.... obviously if we are stuck for money I may do a bit of part-time - but truly only if I need money -- I have loads of hobbies that I want to reclaim -- I used to be an all year round swimmer -- that's one of my first aims -- if I was younger I would love to in some way do something in catering -- set up a coffee shop incorporating a wee private library/newspapers -- that sort of thing -- a return to things non-digital and restful -- but I'm too long in the tooth and Joe's health may not allow it anyway - no -- happy to do - well -- not a lot!

Humdinger of a row with Mr. JC last night which will be resolved sometime today. We don't row often but gawd when we do they're legendary and we forget what started it.
                  I didn't sleep well so may take my coffee and lie on the bed re-reading one of my favourite books 'A 1000 years of annoying the French'.
                  I'll be taking his Royal Highness Mikey with me.
                  Mikey is lovely -- sorry bout the row -- jaysus I don't miss them -- you remember myself and Joe Jacks -- it wasn't nice...
                  here what you got against the French? I think they are brilliant -- one of my favourite nationalities -- they don't give a feck about what anyone thinks --- if I wasn't Irish I'd want to be French --

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post

It does seem like this pandemic has lead many people to re-examine how they were living their lives before. I think some changes will come from the top down such as no longer paying for flights for in-person meetings that they now know can be done online but others will come from the bottom up when workers move to reclaim the lives they now know their jobs were stealing from them. It would be great is positive change could come from this awful time.
                  I hope you're right NS - it would be wonderful to think such a major shift could come from such a horrible thing -- I'm sceptical tho -- we'll see! Your dog sounds pretty familiar tbh!!! Our boy has improved this week tho -- he can actually come into the sitting room and the earth doesn't shift on it's axis!
                  Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                  contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Morning, just.
                    Here he is looking at his new tug rop. He's not tugged on it but thrown it around a lot and pounced on it. Although his favourite is a practice golf ball. He has no interest in the squeaky duck we bought him despite us telling him it wasn't cheap.

Afternoon everyone. Oh he is gorgeous JC :heartbeat:. It’s that type of afternoon here. Bought loads of plants yesterday and we planted some this morning. Also got another coat of paint on the arch before the rain came. In now with feet up crocheting. It is definitely going to be a different world out there when we come out the other side of this. Hopefully it will be a better one.

Hope you enjoyed your show and make up with Mr JC. Can’t believe it is nearly April, today is flying with the clocks going forward.

Comment

[MENTION=8529]mollyka[/MENTION]..........absolutelty nothing against the French.....in fact forever grateful that I decided once and for all my first marriage was over and done with in Paris........I am forever grateful to them for opening my eyes........ apart from that the books an easy read and rather funny.
                      Remember my ancestors may have been on a boat when William the Conqueror decided to invade England.
                      Mr. JC's cousins owned a B&B in the South of France for years. They're retired now. Apparently, if you stood on their back wall you could look into Elton John's back garden. They're coming back to England once the pandemic is over to be nearer family.

The furthest we go these days is the Yorkshire Dales.
                      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Morning all! Sun coming out so now...where will we go....errrmm not far!! Have my work phone now so somewhat tied to emails and shite I've avoided so far! Shockin!!! Hope everyone keeping well xx
                        Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                        contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Morning Molls and the rest of the crew,
                          Mr JC uses his phone for everything even banking.

We haven't had the 5k rule ours is to stay 'local' whatever local is. Its over 16k to the in-laws........they're in their 90s and we're not going to leave them stranded.

I've already done the chores..........which today was basically opening and closing the fridge door to see what we're having for dinner. FYI its leftovers from yesterdays Sunday dinner.
                          A slight easing in rules today we can now meet 6 people in the garden but only from 2 families. I'll get to see our Jenny and Ads at the weekend. Haven't seen them since Christmas. We've still got to stay 2 metres apart.

I will be doing sfa...........apart from checking to see if they've got that gigantic cargo ship shifted. Its really got me fascinated.
                          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Good morning. It was 4 weeks ago yesterday that my lovely husband died and I feel as grief stricken as the day he died. I am getting out for walks and even tried a run this morning. I have great family and supportive friends, who keep telling me I am strong and can get through this. BUT I CAN'T. Going out for a walk now.

Comment

[MENTION=22839]brit[/MENTION] :hug:..............you must be sick to the back teeth of platitudes......so I'm not going to say shite like 'times' a great healer. Its not its just something we learn to live with.
                              When the time is right for you (don't get pushed into it) try some counselling............but when you and only you are ready. Its still very raw for you at the moment.
                              Just wanted you to know that you are loved by many not just here on MWO but your lovely girls and your grandchildren. The son and heir still talks about you running the Great North Run and is in awe of you.
                              And the spare bedroom is always ready if you fancy a visit.
                              :heartbeat:
                              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Wrapping you up in hugs [MENTION=22839]brit[/MENTION]. Although we do not know each other, we both know the pain of losing loved ones. Exercise does help. I know. Another thing I know is that the veil is thin. He is with you always. When I run, I have quite a crowd running along side me. XOXO
                                Last edited by techie; March 29, 2021, 10:31 AM.
                                “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

Working...
                                X