Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miracle food!

Hey all-
    I never heard before that rice could cause food poisoning if left unattended. I did some research on it and it does seem that it could be likely. Rice has to be left at room temperature for a time and then it can be affected. The rice cooker keeps it warmer than room temperature. I have been cooking with my rice cooker for over a year now, and never had an issue. Has anyone out there every gotten sick from old rice/quinoa? I have a very strong constitution and stomach. I did not own a microwave and hope all of you do understand the consequences of such a tool. I am scared of what it does to food and possibly my body. I will continue to take the challenge of ingesting some bacteria (which can make my body stronger in the defense. )
    Green-
    I played around with a ratio of water and quinoa, about 1 cup of quinoa to 3/4 cup water....something like that.....rice is one part to one part. I also rinse my grains before putting them in the cooker.
    Hope that works for you!! xo

Happy, Healthy thoughts!
    flyin'

Comment

Miracle food!

I have some chinese friends and they always have rice in the cooker.
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Miracle food!

jessie;336770 wrote: Hi all,
        I hve never seen it here locally, is it a grain like rice? I'd love to know
        Jessie
        Hi Jessie - quinoa is seed, considered a grain. It cooks up lighter than rice, and much more quickly too. It is the only grain that is a complete protein. If you've read this thread you know that it's wonderfully versatile - some eat with garlic and veggies, some with bananas and honey, etc. My daughter loves it with just butter and salt.

Check out this link for more info (btw - this web site is excellent for learning about the benefits of specific foods)
        WHFoods: Quinoa
        FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Miracle food!

Made my first batch! In my rice cooker (thank you flyinhigh). did the spinach and garlic w/ S&P & EVOO. Don't have to wonder about the warming thing as hubby wiped out the entire batch.
          sigpic
          Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Miracle food!

Excellent greeneyes! We have another "quonvert"!!
            I made a most excellent breakfast this morning - quinoa with lightly sauteed garlic, spinach and chopped tomatoes, then topped with freshly grated parmesan and two fried eggs. YUMMO!!

While eating it I fantasized about opening a restaurant called the Quinoa Quafe!

Comment

Miracle food!

So there are no carbs in Quinoa? It is complete protein?

Comment

Miracle food!

Yes there are carbs, but they are the healthy kind! Quinoa is TITS! Your breakfast just sounds fabulous MOW!
                I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Miracle food!

Is there a healthy carb? LOL. I did not know that.

Comment

Miracle food!

AFM, you are joking, right?
                    I tried to go carb-free for a couple weeks to jump start weight loss, and my alcohol cravings were worst EVER and I sunk into a dark depressive funk very quickly. That taught me that good carbs are our friends.

Comment

Miracle food!

No, I am not kidding. I honestly didn't know there was a difference between a good carb and a bad one. I have some idea in the ways veggies are good & bad carbs but when it comes to grains and rice were good or bad.

I TRIED to go no carb too, and I felt much the same as you. I was craving AL really bad a couple of weeks ago, and then it dawned on me that I was depriving myself of some carbs. Stoopid me.

Comment

Miracle food!

Hi to all my friends out there,
                        I don't know whether it was just pure coincidence but I slept like a baby, I actually almost could not get my eyes open to get my daughter to the schoolbus this morning. And the only thing I did differently last night was to have a bowl of butternut soup before I went to bed at 10pm!? I have never done it before as I don't like eating so late( Fat little tummy) but, somebody want to try it and give as feedback? Good home made butternut soup.
                        Love
                        Jessie
                        make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Miracle food!

Jessie, I'd only be able to make a wild guess. Was there cream in the soup? Maybe the dairy made you sleep like a log? I dunno.

AFM - basically, stay away from white carbs - that's white flour and white sugar. Those are bad carbs. Eat whole grains - whole wheat bread (check the ingredients, many will say whole wheat on label but they only add a bit to white flour), brown rice, quinoa, brown rice or quinoa pastas, etc. And your sugars should come primarily from fruit. These are all good carbs that our body needs to function!!

Dolphin, you're gonna love it!

Comment

Miracle food!

Storage of quinoa

I read in one of my cookbooks that quinoa should be used up quickly because it has a lot of oil. I am assuming because of the germ, it is like brown rice or whole wheat flour, and should be kept in a cool place (fridge or freezer). How are you guys storing yours? I made it plain tonight with chicken, peppers and garlic, and it was good with the sauce but I should have salted it while cooking. I think it will be good with eggs and/or spinach for weekend brunch.

Comment

Miracle food!

This one's for you Cowgal !!! BUMP !!!!!!!!!!

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Miracle food!

Just had my first bowl of quinoa, me new favrorite food, because of you guys ! Cooked in the rice cooker, did well but it was a little crunchy. Did I need more water or is that the way it is. I liked it crunchy but can see how it could be more tender. I sprinkle S&P gave it a swirl of olive oil , a splash cream and fresh basil. Oh man I am going to eat it everyday! Had it with sautted zucc.
                                What fun -new food, new recipes can't wait to intro the kids to it. ThankyouThankyou.
                                workout:chick:mwo2

It's my world to make now...cuz I found my way out.

Comment

Working...
                                X