Miracle food!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miracle food!

Why do you feel it makes you feel so good? Is it the spinach for the iron. Is this for Vegans? I've had couscous. You may find more recipes on Duke Diet and Fitness Center or on Pritikin online. Especially Pritikin which is for vegans. Just a thought. I'm trying to find the name of the book... could you please repeat the name again. Thanks, JB
    Sunny Out Looks are Contagious!

Comment

Miracle food!

I think it is the amino acids in the quinoa that make me feel good. The info below substantiates that it it is EASY for a vegetarian to get enough protein! Here is some additional info:

The quinoa seed is high in protein, calcium and iron, a relatively good source of vitamin E and several of the B vitamins. It contains an almost perfect balance of all eight essential amino acids needed for tissue development in humans. It is exceptionally high in lysine, cystine and methionine-amino acids typically low in other grains. It is a good complement for legumes, which are often low in methionine and cystine. The protein in quinoa is considered to be a complete protein due to the presence of all 8 essential amino acids. Some types of wheat come close to matching quinoa's protein content, but grains such as barley, corn, and rice generally have less than half the protein of quinoa. Quinoa is 12% to 18% protein and four ounces a day, about 1/2-cup, will provide a childs protein needs for one day. The 6-7% fat of quinoa is relatively high when compared to other grains, but it boasts a low sodium content and also provides valuable starch and fiber. Quinoa also contains albumen, a protein that is found in egg whites, blood serum, and many plant and animal tissues. The seeds are gluten-free which makes this a nutritious and flavorful alternative grain for those with gluten sensitivity. Quinoa would be a worthy addition to anyone's diet, supplying variety as well as good nutrition.

Quinoa, uncooked
      0.25 cup
      42.50 grams
      158.95 calories
      Nutrient Amount DV
      (%) Nutrient
      Density World's Healthiest
      Foods Rating
      manganese 0.96 mg 48.0 5.4 very good
      magnesium 89.25 mg 22.3 2.5 good
      iron 3.93 mg 21.8 2.5 good
      tryptophan 0.06 g 18.8 2.1 good
      copper 0.35 mg 17.5 2.0 good
      phosphorus 174.25 mg 17.4 2.0 good
      World's Healthiest
      Foods Rating Rule
      excellent DV>=75% OR Density>=7.6 AND DV>=10%
      very good DV>=50% OR Density>=3.4 AND DV>=5%
      good DV>=25% OR Density>=1.5 AND DV>=2.5%

Comment

Miracle food!

neat stuff MOW. I've been avoiding Quinoa since it's so high in carbs, but since i'm eating carbs anyway I think I'll give it a whirl. I'll experiment with a pilaf perhaps....great, now I'm hungry
        garlic and fresh spinach sound like a merry team for this mighty seed...yum
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Miracle food!

For no good reason I didn't eat my quinoa every morn this week - and 1) I drank more, 2) I gained a couple pounds back, 3) my moods got kinda freaky.

CaptJBean - I'm with Lucky. I'm sure it's the amino acids. I eat tons of spinach all the time, but noticed a diff when I added quinoa to my diet. Couscous is wheat, totally different. However, I'm sure it will be good to substitute quinoa for recipes calling for couscous. I want to try making tabouleh with it!!
          FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Miracle food!

I agree with everybody, it is a wonder food!!!!!
            Iron can only be absorbed when you eat it with vitamin C, at least thats what I have been told. Tomoates go great with spinach.
            Fickle, I found it in a organics food hall but maybe try a health food store. It is really worth trying.
            I think it would be great in tabouli
            Much Love
            Shas
            Just keep on swmming, just keep on swimming!

Comment

Miracle food!

I just bought a big bag of this today! I cannot wait to try it! Thanks for all the tips, especially about washing it. I would not have thought to do that.

Comment

Miracle food!

Did I mention it's great to add to just about any soup? I just added some that I made this morning to leftover lentil soup. Makes the soup more gratifying too. (thank heavens, cuz I'd kill for a huge casserole of macaroni and cheese, or something equally sinful)

Comment

Miracle food!

I made a big pot of today. Couldn't wait until the spinach wilted, so did the next best thing (in my mind).......did what I do to mashed potatoes when I need comfort food.......added butter, grated cheese, salsa and sour cream! Not the healthiest use of quinoa, but it tasted delicious and put me in a great mood!

Forgot to wash it, but it still tasted great.:thanks:

Comment

Miracle food!

OOoooh, I'll have to remember that one for my daughter!
                    Actually, she ate a bowl of it today with nothing but butter, salt and pepper stirred in.

Comment

Miracle food!

I just had it with spaghetti sauce. It was yummy. I think RJ needs to incorporate it into the program. I swear it helps my brain!

Comment

Miracle food!

Yay!

I have just managed to buy some organic quinoa.. there was a box of flakes for triple the price.. so i just thought i'll start simple... let you know how i go! Thanks for the tips everyone!! Also.. it may solve my problem of what to feed my 'vegetarian' daughter (she has taken to living off pasta, chips & cheese!! ugh! not doing her much good i might add)
                        I am very excited & will be cooking up a quinoa storm tonite!! :H

Comment

Miracle food!

Oh Lucky - I shall be forever in your debt!! I miss pasta sauce so much, as i try not to eat pasta (refined wheat). I'm going to try it with sauce tomorrow night!

Comment

Miracle food!

MOW, we eat spelt pasta. It has no refined wheat in it and is high in protein. It tastes good too (kids love the spaghetti and macaroni).
                            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Miracle food!

MOW
                              Thanks so much for this quinoa thread-I bought the flakes and never used em, contacted Slightlysuze who gave me heaps of ideas, but have now actually got organised and have Q like a brekky porridge-I eat it with banana, honey and pumpkin seeds. It's better as a savoury though, but def makes you feel stronger after eating it whatever way you dish it up. I love the idea of lots of MWOers eating the same things!

Anyway, if it can help me deal with guys turning my home upside down for a coupla days in the interest of improvement, well hell, it can help me cope with anything! Bring it on!

Quinoa is Queen! :thumbsup :banana:
                              :h Anna
                              IS MILIS FION,ACH IS SEARBH A IOC
                              Wine is sweet, but paying for it is bitter

Comment

Miracle food!

Hey - Showed this thread to my partner and HE went out and bought the Quinoa and we have just had the most delicious meal!!! Thanks for the thread.
                                Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Working...
                                X