Miracle food!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miracle food!

Regarding bulk food bins - find a store that has the gravity fed ones... where you put the bag under a 'spout' sort of thing and the product flows down into it. (as opposed to the kind you scoop - never know how well the staff is rotating product.) Then make sure it's a busy store. Then you know that anything that sells reasonably well is fresh. And in most cases, I believe, bulk foods are fresher than most packaged foods. (I used to work in a bulk food department.)
    I'm not sure about oils in quinoa. But I know what you mean about rancidity. I'm hyper-aware of rancid oils. Before I buy granola or nuts from one of my two fave stores, I sniff it first (this store has the old scooping bins). If it's rancid, I know it and avoid it.

WW - I roughly chop fresh baby spinach and mix it up with hot quinoa and olive oil. The heat from the grains wilts the spinach.
    FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Miracle food!

maybe you could go back to that heinous knitting thread and get a pattern for potato blankets

Comment

Miracle food!

Ya, all stores have to cover the taters.
        What are you off looking for Det?
        OH, you know what might be a good idea for those who eat lots of a particular grain or any other food available in bulk - order a bag of it. Then you can store it as you like, in a dark cool place, in an airtight container. And you'll know it's fresh. You can store grains for a long time if you do it right.
        (Can you tell that I've worked in the grocery business for 24 years??)

Thanks for the recipe Lushy!!

Off topic - OMG it is really snowing outside!! So pretty....

Comment

Miracle food!

You know, another idea, if you eat lots of natural foods, is to order it from a distributor - I think you can do this with Frontier, but there's another one.... I'll try to remember the name. Oh - it starts with Az... or As... I'll figure it out and let you know.
          I know some people in my town who make monthly orders together to cut the costs. You can order grains, spices, nuts, ... all the stuff you get in natural food stores.

Comment

Miracle food!

Ebay to the rescue! just picked up 5lbs of colorado grown black quinoa for $28.00 which includes shipping. There are some vendors on there that are catering to folks that know what they are looking for. stored and packaged in vacuum sealed light impermeable packages etc. Since Quinoa has that protective coating maybe it's not such a big deal anyway? I dunno. ok, gotta work on a Quinoa taboule recipe now.
            nosce te ipsum
            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Miracle food!

cool MOW...we wanna know!
              nosce te ipsum
              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Miracle food!

and I want that tabouli recipe Det!

Comment

Miracle food!

Got it...
                  AZURE STANDARD

You can get a 5 lb bag of quinoa for 10.65. I"m not sure if you have to have a minimum order. I'm going to check it out better later - headed for a hot salty bath right now...

Comment

Miracle food!

oh man, I got taken to the cleaners...hahahaha
                    nosce te ipsum
                    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Miracle food!

D, yes you did. Food on Ebay just sounds wrong anyhow. Let us know how you like your expensive black quinoa though!
                      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Miracle food!

Lushy - is it snowing there? I'm watching snow fall over the water, huge showflakes, like mini-snowballs!

Comment

Miracle food!

Yes! We got four inches yesterday and it was so beautiful. Most of it melted overnight but it has been snowing all morning and we have another 2-3 inches, but it is starting to rain. :upset:

Comment

Miracle food!

oh that's why it's more, I got the fancy black 'Q' . I see now the same outfite has the white for 3.00 per lb (organic).

I've gotten some absolutely fantastic gourmet items from Ebay vendors...it's a great place to find the little cottage industries that don't have a big retail presence. I've found I can get Italian olive oils and cheeses that way directly from the farm without having to be pasturized or treated in any way....very cool! I have some cloudy unfiltered Sicilian olive oil to die for....yum
                            nosce te ipsum
                            (Know Thyself)

Comment

Miracle food!

Really? That's good to know. I will start looking.....

Comment

Miracle food!

Great tip on the olive oil. You know, Im sure, that the olive oil industry has some scandal, as some oils sold as olive really are not. To buy right from the farm - that's marvelous!

Comment

Working...
                                X