Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L-Tryptophan??

Hello!!

Well, I have to say I still take my L-Tryp and have fantastic results. Not only does it keep me calm, I am convinced that is is affecting my stress/cortisol level. I talked to my doc about it and he seems to think it could. The reason I say this is because when I am taking it consistantly I seem to lose weight around my mid-section! I have tested this a few times and WHAM, when I am back on it the weight starts to come off... ANOTHER PLUS!

ALso, DG, you said yo ustill have problems sleeping. I started taking this for sleep.. my suggestion is to keep yoru moring dose, but go ahead and take an evening dose (500mgs) at least an hour before bedtime. The reason some folks have nightmares is that they are probably taking it too close to bedtime. I learned that the hard way.

For me, 1000mgs a day is perfect. I take 500mgs in the morning on an empty stomach with my vitamins, then 500mgs at least an hour after eating dinner and an hour before bedtime.

I tried the 5htp and for some reason I didn't feel a thing???

I hope my input helps!!

MM
    Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

I need to go back to taking sleep and calm supps..ASAP..they work when you use them. :thanks:

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

MM
        What time of day do you take your tryptophan?
        I have a tummy from all that beer - horrible now that it is summer and me and my kids always go to the pool! I take 5htp but I really have not noticed anything from it.
        Also, I take an antidepressant, Trazodone to help me sleep. It works great, but I would rather not be taking real drugs. Do you take Tryp at nite?
        Please share your secrets!!
        Lila

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

Hey, Lila!

L-Tryptophan is an amazing little supplement! L-Tryptohan is a precursor to Seratonin and Melatonin. If you take it during the day, it should not make you sleepy as it is converting into Seratonin - which makes you happy and MELLOW. When you take it in the evening it converts to Melatonin, so it makes you tired. So, I take one 500mg in the morning and 500mgs an hour before bedtime.

Hope this helps!!

MM
          Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

Hi MM. Thanks for sharing your experience and how you benefit from L-Trypt both day and night. I am going to try taking another dose an hour before bed. The other night when I could NOT sleep I think it might have had something to do with a dose of L-Tyrosine that I took. I don't think that agrees with me. We'll se what happens this time with nothing else different tossed into the mix, to F up the results of the experiment LOL!

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

MM - yesterday evening I took a second dose sort of per your schedule. (I fell asleep watching TV, and took the dose around 10PM when I woke up). I slept better and longer than I have since going AF.

So...will do this again tonight for sure!! Thanks to all on this thread for sharing good info.

DG
              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

I haven't tried any supps yet. How is the all one working with weight loss. Can you all one in any store?
                Still thinking on the L-Tryptophan.
                If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at begin to change.

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

L-Tryptophan. I love this marvelous supplement! It works! really! they don't make this stuff for nothing...give it a try..anyone, you will be so happy you did! :h

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

I forgot all about this post! Ripple, when do you take you L-Tryp? Morning? All day? How much? Maybe I will order some from Vitacost.
                    Lila

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

D`Lila

i just took my 2 Melotonins...5 mgs. each. 1..Tryptophan 500 mgs. I'll be sleeping in about 1.5 hours..i hope! :l i will.

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

Gemmy, you can get "allone" here at MWO. There may be other places too but I don't know.
                        nosce te ipsum
                        (Know Thyself)

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

Gee..Determinator i will have to check that out too! Thanks Dear! I slept soooo GOOD! :h

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

Powdered Vitamins and Minerals at ALL ONE is the official web site. Can't speak for every health food store, but the one local to me sells All One.

I followed Meditation Mama into the world of L-Trpytophan. Her post #16 in this thread gives a good explanation of how it works daytime and night time. I've been taking 500mg in the AM, and 500mg at bed time.

DG
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

This topic intrigued me and I did a little research on Tryptophan. It looks like it also converts to Niacin as well as Melatonan and Serotonin.

Niacin has been used in the treatment of alcoholism as well. It's essentially is Vitamin B3.

Apparently the founder of AA BillWilson was very interested in nutrient solutions to alcoholism before his death and experimented with Niacin.

Here's an excerpt: "Bill was very curious about it and began to take niacin, 3 g daily. Within a few weeks fatigue and depression which had plagued him for years were gone. He gave it to 30 of his close friends in AA and persuaded them to try it. Within 6 months he was convinced that it would be very helpful to alcoholics. Of the thirty, 10 were free of anxiety, tension and depression in one month. Another 10 were well in two months. He decided that the chemical or medical terms for this vitamin were not appropriate. He wanted to persuade members of AA, especially the doctors in AA, that this would be a useful addition to treatment and he needed a term that could be more readily popularized. He asked me the names that had been used. I told him it was originally known as vitamin B-3. This was the term Bill wanted. In his first report to physicians in AA he called it "The Vitamin B-3 Therapy." Thousands of copies of this extraordinary pamphlet were distributed. Eventually the name came back and today even the most conservative medical journals are using the term vitamin B-3. "

References:
                              DoctorYourself.com - Niacin Therapy Details
                              Tryptophan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

Apparently the founder of AA BillWilson was very interested in nutrient solutions to alcoholism before his death and experimented with Niacin.
                                Your whole post is interesting (Niacin / Vit B-3 connection). On the quoted part, I too read that Mr. Wilson had started exploring the nutritional deficiency connection prior to his death. I seem to recall that whoever wrote what I read (how's that for a reference!) thought he didn't get quite far enough along for his newer ideas to be embraced by the AA organization. Seems like they still aren't today - at least not widely??

DG
                                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                                X