Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

L-Tryptophan??

DG,

Unfortunately, most AA members do not want to hear or learn about new research and medications. One of the things I dislike about AA.

Do not get me wrong. I go to AA. I like AA. I like some of their members.

I find it very helpful to be with a group of people who know my struggle and have dealt with it. I truly do.

I think the 12 steps are a good way of life whether you are an alcoholic or not. It is simply living life with integrity and honesty.

However, it is an organized group and like organized religions, people put blinders on and do not want to grow farther. They have "found the way" and that is the way for everyone.

It is sad but does not negate the concept and many of the people as a whole.

I think RJ's research, as well as others, has been a huge help to us drinkers. We do need special vitamin therapy because we have damaged our bodies and our bodies do not absorb the nutrients it needs. This does affect our mental attitude and our general well-being.

Okay. I digress.

I love the L-Tryptophan. I take is 2 times a day. 500 mg morning and afternoon.

I sleep well, I stay calm and when I skip it, I notice it.

Love,
    Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

I agree with you Cindi...AA is limited as far as health is concerned!!! actually there is never any mention of health in AA, just stop drinking..cut and dry, over and done... 12 steps are good for any addiction from drinking to stop smoking...thats it!

I would like to learn about Lenair and go myself for the nutritional counseling ..i have stopped the drinking, i could use the next step and that is moving on to my health! Add the icing to the cake so to speak..:h

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

it helps me sleep.. helps. i have insomnia as well. as far as moods im not sure. i took 5-htp for awhile and my body formed a tolerance, that didnt work anymore,and tryptophan is similar so. but i dont think it helps with the alcohol.

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

I am very intrigued about the L-tryptophan so I bought some at GNC, the woman there said we are going to stop selling it, there were just a few left. I read the wiki article, thanks so much voetsod, it seems like big drug companies are still threatened by the possibility of a more natural solution to depression, so the struggle to keep L-tryp on the shelves continues.
          The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

Cindi, Ripple I agree totally about AA. I've been to a couple of meetings and all I can say is they really ignore the physical aspect of this disease (or whatever you want to call it). It's like AA treats the spiritual component of it. There is a huge physical component to it (I would argue that this physical component is much more important to address then the "spiritual"). I mean I've felt the physical cravings for alcohol (non withdrawal cravings) and they're intense. And it is a physical disease. There are so many people with identical "spiritual" issues as alcoholics and don't drink.

All in all though I think AA is good for allot of people. It's in live support with other people that are going through the same thing as you. It also can provide a useful/needed social aspect (as many people who are alcoholics only hang out with fellow alcoholics and find when they quit drinking they have no friends and this pushes them back to drinking). In the end..whatever works and keeps you committed to your goal.

Suzanna I totally agree with your statement about the drug companies too. All they care about is lining their pockets with money not anyone's well being or health.

I ordered some L-Tryptophan from DoggyGirl's website (I forgot the name). Hopefully it gets here soon. My last drink was on Friday night so today is day 5 for me. I'm just taking a multi-V and some fish oil and a Xanax in the evening (witching hour). Of course I'm wary of substituting Xanax for alcohol but right now a low dose of Xanax is a hell of allot better then 15 drinks. Last night I didn't take it and had trouble sleeping. Hopefully they get here soon.

My plan for recovery is as follows.
            Kudzu
            Glutamine
            L-Tryptophan
            Mutli-V
            Fish Oil

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

Tryptophan..what is it?

voetsod..don't give me this line people go to AA because they have no friends!!! thats a bag of coffee grinds! we are talking here about Trip to SPAIN..wanting a good nites rest...anyone going off alcohol or even BUTTS for that matter suffers sleep deprevation...there are natural remedies..I don't know who in their right minds trying to rid substance would take narcotics to sleep or alleviate anxiety?

all i am trying to say is; use what tools are available to aid one through this so difficult task...giving up The Friend-ALCOHOL!
              its all a matter of choice. i will use whatever it takes to make me feel better and i dooo! :thanks: YOU.

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

Ripple;352705 wrote: .I don't know who in their right minds trying to rid substance would take narcotics to sleep or alleviate anxiety?
                Xanax aren't narcotics Ripple they're a benzodiazipine. And they are what doctors mostly prescribe for anxiety (people with non-addictive personalities anyway). I've used them for years because of anxiety issues (often times due to the server anxiety I would get from a hangover honestly). And I think at one point I was physically addicted to them (albeit at a pretty low dose). But am not anymore and don't intend to. I do think they are very useful for someone coming off alcohol to help them with withdrawal the first couple of days.

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

XANAX is a controlled substance! period..I don't know my drugs because i never used them. In sobriety one is not to have any...I thought..must be a new program out there??? Anyway the entire process is difficult and takes strength and courage!! Without sleep the battle is truly harder.

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

Hi again. voetsod, I hope you like the L-Tryp as much as I do for it's effectiveness. Meditation Mama deserves the credit for the web link where I bought it. Isn't MWO a great resource - so many people, so many ideas and solutions to problems.

Just a general comment on the sleep front. I can't speak for anyone but me...however I am beginning to think that my sleep issues go beyond just the typical problems related to giving up alcohol, and cigarettes back when I gave them up in Feb 2007. For me, I think it's a "which came first the chicken or the egg." I found out last Friday that I have very low Progesterone, and very high Cortisol at bed time (Cortisol is normal during the day). BOTH of these conditions are known to cause trouble sleeping. Now I'm thinking that I may have unwittingly increased my alcohol consumption to compensate earlier in my 40's when the hormone issues started.

The good news is that it's all being treated now!! So hopefully good sleep without needing any sleep aids natural or otherwise (just the hormone correction) is in my future! Our bodies are so complex, aren't they? Everything dependent on everything else.

DG
                    35 Days Hangover Free!
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

DG and others,
                      Maybe this was mentioned earlier in this thread, but I thought that tryptophan was illegal to purchase in the US. Not that I m trying to bust on anyone; I just thought it was unavailable.

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

Ripple;352872 wrote: XANAX is a controlled substance! period..I don't know my drugs because i never used them. In sobriety one is not to have any...I thought..must be a new program out there??? Anyway the entire process is difficult and takes strength and courage!! Without sleep the battle is truly harder.
                        Ripple I don't want to argue with you but what do you think Topamax is? It might not be designated a "controlled substance" by the FDA but it's still a drug (and seemingly a powerful one at that).

CS04 it's legal now and can be purchased OTC.

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

Agree, chances are someone would rip off your XANAX over Topamax!! People love XANAX for the feeling it gives..people do not want Topamax for that purpose! Simple..your argument is heading no-where. Now take your pills and stop drinking!

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

Ripple - are you OK?

DG
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

I am wonderfully at my best today! Why do you ask? I'm not on XANAX you can tell! :h Love PINK!

Comment

L-Tryptophan??

Ripple;352918 wrote: Agree, chances are someone would rip off your XANAX over Topamax!! People love XANAX for the feeling it gives..people do not want Topamax for that purpose! Simple..your argument is heading no-where. Now take your pills and stop drinking!
                                I think you're confusing Xanax with some other drug Ripple. I can't imagine anyone "loving" the feeling it gives you because it's really almost barely perceiptable. I get mine prescribed from a doctor for anxiety/panic attacks. I think you should stop attacking people for taking something you seemingly know almost nothing about.

Comment

Working...
                                X