The Benefits of Coconut Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always assumed that coconut oil was bad for you since it is a saturated fat. It turns out to be very different than the traditional saturated fats that we have been told to limit. Coconut oil is composed of different fatty acids, one of which is medium chain fatty acids. These are a preferred fuel source for the body. Instead of storing the oil as fat, our bodies burn it as a fuel source, which increases our metabolism. This process is called thermogenesis which aids in burning our own fat stores and therefore may contribute to weight loss.

Coconut has been used for thousands of years by many ethnic groups who have achieved great health and have aged gracefully. It has antifungal and antibacterial properties.

This was undoubtedly no accident. In the tropical countries where coconuts grow, there is a high number of fungi and bacteria due to the heat and the rain. These properties protect the coconut, but the same properties are protective of the human body. If consumed either as a cooking oil or just straight, it can help to kill bad bacteria and fungal overgrowth in the gut.

A number of digestive conditions can be helped including: Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Crohn's disease, constipation, and diarrhea. Proponents of coconut oil also claim it has a beneficial effect on cholesterol levels as well as metabolic syndrome, arthritis, rosacea, and acne. It is said to increase energy levels. Most importantly for us, it may help alcoholic fatty liver. How is it best consumed you ask?

Many people cook with it, but I don't, since it does have the strong taste of coconuts. I eat 1 tablespoon daily, but some people eat up to 3. You can also use it externally on your skin and hair.

Do be wary of what kind of coconut oil you buy. It should be extra virgin coconut oil. Ideally, it would also be organic, made without GMOs, and be hexane free. It can be found at your local health food store or in the organic food section of most grocery stores. I am using the brand Nutiva at the moment but there are many companies that make a high quality oil.

Start slowly with this oil as it may cause a condition called "die off" or a hexheimer reaction. It kills bad bacteria and can sometimes make the symptoms your taking it for worse for a short period. It can also cause gas and bloating at first. So, start with a small amount a day and work up.
    This Princess Saved Herself

Hi Redh, it's a craze, really, since people have discovered that fat doesn't make you fat, sugar and starch makes you fat. Determinator and I had a bit of a discussion on CO and also MCT here. https://www.mywayout.org/community/f6...ion-46379.html

Night!

Comment

Hi Redhead,

Are youre hair red? Mine is. bright red - out of a bottle - for more than 20 years and luv it!

I live in a tropical country and right under coconut trees! They hang heavy at the moment. Do you know how I can extract the oil? Tried to find out but nobody can really tell me.

Comment

Yes beachbump it is. I have no idea how to extract it. I suppose there is a way if you searched the internet. I just buy mine in a jar, far less work. Just look for organic extra virgin, if you go that route.

Bruun, I see that there was all this info literally right under my nose. Sorry to be redundant.

Determinator, what an awesome thread you have!

Comment

Okay beachbump. I guess I shouldn't tell you to go buy it when you have coconuts falling in your yard. I did a quick search and will attach some links. And you know what? This may be a project I decide to try too!

Virgin Coconut Oil - Make Your Own Virgin Coconut Oil at Home

How to Extract Coconut Oil in an Easy Way | eHow.com

Good luck!

Comment

Thanx Redhead. Will look up the link. Do you also live under coconut trees?
            Was thinking... the local people here eat coconuts in the morning for hangovers. Its like a joke here- if you see someone with a coconut you KNOW he/she was drinking the previos night!

Comment

Don't I wish beachbump! Alas, it takes me a well planned vaca, along with a plane ticket to see coconut trees.

I am not surprised that folks use it as a hang over cure. It is said to contain a powerhouse of vitamins and minerals: Potassium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, manganese, vitamin b2, and vitamin C. I too would have sucked down the milk/meat/oil, had I known this.

Comment

Me too!

Comment

Is palm oil the same as coconut oil? That's what I see listed on labels. Here's a link to another agle on this discussion, from Eating Well Magazine: Can Coconut Oil Help You Lose Weight? | Eating Well
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Not everyone loses using CO but MCT is supposed to be able to help you with constipation (I can vouch for that) as well as get you into ketosis if you're on the proper diet.

Comment

I have heard that palm oil is considered healthy by some but I don't think I'm ready to use it. Coconut oil has some unique properties. I am not using it to lose weight, but I know many are and do lose with it. I like that it is showing potential to fight a great number of diseases.

It contains both caprylic acid and lauric acid. These are thought to fight viruses, bacteria, and fungi. Coconut oil is being shown to be useful to HIV and cancer, heart disease and cholesterol, liver disease, pancreatitis, really many digestive illnesses. The biggest reason I consume it are for the antifungal properties. It is useful for people who have any fungal overgrowth such as Candida. I've been battling that for years, directly related to my alcohol consumption and most likely all the antibiotics in our food supply.

An added bonus, it makes my skin look good.

Comment

Nutiva EVCO can be found at Amazon and Vitacost at a good price.

Comment

Thanks FloridaBoy. I just discovered Vitacost. The prices on supps are fabulous!

Comment

coconut oil rocks! i cook with it daily. I happen to like the extra virgin Nutivia brand and am on my 2nd 54oz jug. check this out:

I Heart Coconut Oil! | Underground Wellness

and the radio cast:

The Coconut Oil Miracle with Bruce Fife 04/28 by Sean Croxton | Blog Talk Radio

incidentally as I've increased dietary fats (animal and coconut oil both) and dumped the carbs, my body fat has dropped effortlessly even with minimal exercise. Started this about 6 months ago and won't be looking back.
                            nosce te ipsum
                            (Know Thyself)

Comment

I will be trying to find out where to get this in UK and do want to try it.
                              Do you just drink the oil off a spoon tho? and if so how does it taste

Comment

Working...
                              X