X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fasting pre and post chemo

Totally off drinking as a topic.

Anyone heard of or done this?

Fasting cycles retard growth of tumors and se... [Sci Transl Med. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

I've read quite a lot about it, MHP, and will try to do it if I find myself in that situation. I also would try to eat a ketogenic diet. I hope you aren't facing this yourself right now but if you are, :l.

Comment

Hi NS. Yes I am. So if you were doing it, what time periods of fasting pre and post would you look at?

Comment

I'm sure sorry you are dealing with this, MHP.

Most of the data are in mice but human trials are being done with 48 hours before and 24 hours after treatment fairly common periods of fasting. It sounds like the main side effects of that are hunger (duh) and light-headedness. The fasting appears to protect your cells from the drugs and increase the cancer cells' susceptibility to them. There also is a reduction in the physical side-effects of the chemo.

If you're very underweight or weak, I don't know if I would do it. But if otherwise you're ok, it might be worth a try. One of the articles I've read said that the people regained the lost fasting weight fairly quickly.

I'll be thinking of you. Please let us know how you are doing and if you decide to try the protocol, whether it helps.

xx - NS

Comment

MHP :l No real advice, but just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you. I too have read that fasting can be beneficial, but can't recall any details. I would totally trust NS though. She knows a lot about this kind of thing. Keep posting and let us know how things are going.
          Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Thanks guys. NS, looks like we've been reading the same material. There are other forums etc around but frankly I'm too lazy to spread myself around the internet :H I'm currently fasting pre chemo on Thursday. Oncologist is aware and keeping tabs on me. Second day today and not hungry at all tbh. Will let you know how it goes.

Comment

That is great that your oncologist is on board!

Comment

Haha...its about asking the right questions. First question I asked him was in regard to research and he said nothing was substantiated in the human trials yet. I went away and thought about it then emailed him and asked if he had any patients who had or were looking at this and then he was more forthcoming. It helps to go back to the technical papers to show that you're not just using Wiki as a reference but I think this is a more user friendly link than my first one.

NCI Cancer Bulletin for July 10, 2012 - National Cancer Institute

Comment

The diet in between treatments sounds more paleo too but if you've got any thoughts on this I'd be happy to hear.

Comment

Hi, MHP.
                    This is the article that got me interested in the subject: Longo 2013

Although it would be tough, I would probably try to do this between treatments:An Introduction: A Ketogenic Diet for Cancer - Caveman Doctor (the references are linked so you can get to the actual papers if you want to show them to your oncologist ).

I think I would try a ketogenic diet between treatments if I (or someone whose food intake I could control ) were diagnosed with cancer, Alzheimer's, MS, ALS, Parkinson's, etc. It has been use for years for epilepsy. But, like I said, it would be really tough to do!

Comment

Very interesting reading. Thank you Happs and NS.

Comment

Thanks NS. Those links are brilliant. I will be at 64 hours fasting pre my first chemo session and intend to eat 24 hours later. The time I have tomorrow in hospital will be put to designing a menu plan for the weeks in between. Going hard! will keep you up to date and thanks everyone for the input and support.

Comment

Up early this morning so research started early ;

Found this one NS. And yep, you're right, its pretty hard core. Not too far off what I eat now but still that next step.

The KetoDiet Blog | Diet & Nutrition

Thoughts?

Comment

You're a step ahead if your current diet is similar - your body doesn't run on solely on carbs and you have all the enzymes and other machinery necessary to metabolize fat upregulated. That should make it easier on you. I'll take a look at that link - thanks!

Comment

That website looks very useful for figuring out what in the heck to eat!

This site is reputable and loaded with information of all sorts: The Charlie Foundation - The Charlie Foundation for Ketogenic Therapies.
                              This explains the biochemistry clearly (despite the slightly fractured English ):The Ketogenic Diet - An Overview | The Health Matrix

After reading all of this, I'm starting to think we all should join you in this dietary experiment! Thanks for rekindling my interest in this topic - I usually spend my former drinking hours learning about things that interest me and this definitely does.

I hope you generally are feeling ok. Is your yoga practice helping you?

I will be thinking of you :l. NS

Comment

Working...
                              X