Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's just started or really starting in the New Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 'Grats' to Brandy and Marcie

This typing thing is worrying me as I am a Medical Transcriptionist. Screwing up typing would not bode well for business. This Topa might not be a good thing for me.

I STILL haven't received the book. Usually Amazon is really fast. Is the Topa so you won't drink or won't drink as much? I am one week sober now and seem to do pretty well on the weekdays but would like a little "crutch" on the weekends. Should I ask the doc for Campral instead?

Congrats to everyone who has stayed away from the "drink", ie. Marcie:lol

Happy Birthday, Brandy. I hope it's a healthy, happy year for you!

Jane.

Comment

Re: 'Grats' to Brandy and Marcie

I went out (to a pub/retaurant) w an old friend who really should be categorized as a drinking buddy ......last night and he was already on his second scotch when I arrived. The waiter said what do you want? and I said well, how about water for now while I think about it? (stalling........) I perused the food menu,....... then I proceeded to tell my friend how I was taking antibiotics for my tooth and it probably made more sense not to have any wine, so..... I didnt! Phew! It really wasnt any less fun. What a concept.

PS Jane: my typing is ok, and and there is always spell-check?

Comment

Re: Dealing with the meds, flatulence and etc.

I am still taking the milk thistle. Was her treatment with hepatitis C successful? I will have a liver biopsy in 6 months to find out for sure how far along it is, but I had an ultrasound of my liver a couple weeks ago and that looked normal, so I'm feeling optomistic.

Marcie

Comment

Re: Dealing with the meds, flatulence and etc.

Thank You and a big Hug for everybody!

I missed everybody, my outlook is alot more clear and focused.

Brandy

Comment

strange feelings

Hello everyone,
            Sounds like there have been so many successes in the New Year. Congrats to Marcie, Jane, Vida, Kathy, Nina, Judie, and anyone else I may have missed. Lots of names to keep up with!

It is weird but I have just not really wanted to drink a whole lot for about a week....and I haven't started any of the program yet (other than the book and posting here). I am wondering if if's my mind giving my body signals, or something else? I am a firm believer in the mind-body connection when it comes to health (both mental and physical). But the 5:00 urges aren't there, the 'keep on drinking' urges aren't there. And I haven't been hungover, which is a much nicer way to wake up -- not to mention having to run around the house in the morning and backtrack things I couln't remember. (Who did I email at midnight? Did I leave the lights on downstairs? Is there junk all over the kitchen?)

Maybe I should not question so much and just go with the feeling, but I also want to not kid myself into thinking it's easy.

CS

Comment

Re: strange feelings

I'm waiting on the rest of my meds to come, but taking the ones I already had...and finding that two glasses of wine at night are all I want, and feeling really good in the mornings. It's super to remember all that happened and that I did! The bruising on my forearms is better, but I'm afraid to count on that being gone. I've had remissions from it before and then the slightest thing will start it up again. The best thing is how I feel and how I don't HAVE to have wine to feel that way.

A surprising thing for me is how I still fall asleep in front of the TV and wake at 2 or so to turn it off. I guess normal people who live alone do that too. I've asked two friends and they do it and wake on the couch or somewhere else, get up and go to bed. I thought I was passing out, but maybe not always...

Anyway, things are progressing well for me. I'm enjoying the winter for a change. It gives me time to pamper myself and take time for just ME! That's a good thing and makes me glad I picked this time of the year to try to get a handle on this monster.

So glad all of you are doing well. It gives us all hope that there really is a way out.

P

Comment

tv snoozn

Mornin P, I almost always fall asleep in front of the TV, in fact I don't think I can sleep w/out it ! I usually wake up around 3 or 4 AM & go crawl in to snuggle , before Scott gets up. I don't know how I survived 18 yrs in tree house w/no TV. Although, the last 3 or 4 yrs I did have a VCR, come to think of it, I used to read a lot more! Probably should pick that habit back up! Hugs Judie Healthier habits ...what a concept!

Comment

CS - I am exactly like you! I also am one week and just got the book yesterday. Read it cover to cover. I am frustrated though because I went looking for the supplements this morning and couldn't find a lot of them, most of all the Kudzu. Anyone have any ideas? I really don't want to do the internet thing because I am afraid it will take too long. Tomorrow is Friday and I am REALLY hoping I can make it through another weekend. It's more habit than anything else. I find if I put SOMETHING in a wine glass it helps.

So anyway, I have not started any of the supplements or Topamax, but feel as you do. I guess it is a mind-over-body thing. I just want so extra insurance so that down the road I don't slip.

I've got a psychiatrist appointment next Friday. Hopefully she'll give me a script for Topamax and I can started on that.

Let's keep up the good work!

Jane.

Comment

Hi, first visit here. on day 11 feeling fabulous. like the name says, free for the first time in my adult life. (about 25 years!) doing all but the hypn. have the tapes, tried, but, dont know, maybe a hangover of being raised Catholic (not allowed to be hypnotised) but cant get into that - still will give it a try, but for now, everything else is going well. very few cravings. had a couple rough sleeps, but fine now. so nice not to pass out every nite, and wake up not foggy! out of the vicious cycle. my wonderful supportive mate stopped with me. figured he could use a break. he was drinking more than usual (cause , i would alway pour him with me, cant drink alone, might mean i have a problem... lol) had a scotch last saturday, day 6. why, you might ask, cause i can !!!! didnt feel a thing, didnt want another. my drink of choice was red wine the idea of suffering through a glass reminds me of drinking glass cleaner for some reason? anyone else feel that way? I would love to have a email buddy if anyone is interested in a more one on one. i am so excited. i could go on... oh well. thanks for giving me some space to blab - need to share with someone who gets it. thanks and good luck to all be free!!!!

Comment

THe topamax starts working right away. At least for me. And I wanted to share my experience from last night. A close friend turned forty and we put on a beach bonfire. The guys were chugging whiskey from a flask and the girls had red wine. I had two sips of red wine and almost felt an "uncomfortable" buzz. I swear to god it was only two sips. I put it down in the sand and watched the fire. and watched the kids run around making driftwood forts. (with clear eyes and heart)........ and switched to drinking hot chocolate. .... Then we dropped the kids off to the sitter and went out to sushi. Keep in mind these are my drinking buddies. I always (always!) wind up one of the drunkest people in the crowd...... anyway...... We cross the street to a trendy bar while waiting for our table. The world is my oyster ----I can order anything. I just order a sake and drank it out of those little cups. but didnt get very far with it over the course of several hours. ALcohol gives me a sort of hot feeling inside and it doesnt seem to trigger that "lets GO CRAZY ANDGUZZLE as much as we can as fast as we can!!!!! " reaction like it used to. okay....so WE go back to the sushi bar and people order more sake wine and beer. I just eat and focus on conversation. I didnt say stupid things, I didnt withdraw, I didnt get angry at my husband afterwards, I didnt act out of line in anyway. I felt my SELF. My true SELF. The great thing about not getting blitzed, is now my memories of experiences wont be tinged with the color of shame or regret. BIG SIGH! ..... so far so good on this program.

Comment

Jane - re Kudzu = dont know whre you are located, but i am in a relatively small city in canada and found it in a health food store. it really seems to have a made a difference for me. I know, once you make the decision, you dont want to wait to order online, but, better late than never and i think its important to get all your ducks in a row. its the most important thing any of us will ever do. i am still waiting for an online order of all one powder. i have been using a multi vitamin in the mean time - been working, but looking forward to that . if it would help, i would be happy to pick up some kudzu and courier it to you? if you have to put off starting the program till you got everything, dont beat yourself up, just realize, you;ll be that much more gratefull when it happens and that much more ready. read Brenda's excerpts in the book. good luck and let me know if i can help by and be free.

Comment

Thenewfreeme ( I love that name) - Thanks so much for offering to courier it to me. I live outside Washington, D.C. I'm SURE there's got to be someplace around here that has it. After my kids get home from school (and after I let me daughter practice her driving ), I will check out some health food stores. We have GNC - maybe they have it. Whole Foods didn't.

I am 7 days sober today and like I said have done it without the Topomax, etc. but really want to, as you said, get all my ducks in a row.

Thanks for your help and congrats. It sure is better to wake up clear headed and not worried about what you said/who you called/what you did the night before.

I'll keep in touch!

Jane.

Comment

Jane,

I tried GNC and they didn't have it...but in your big area, surely someone will. I've had to order it online and am waiting. I bought the wrong kind, not Kudzu root, but hope it will work nearly as well. I feel so much better on the vitamins, and await the rest. I have the CD's but haven't used them yet.

Happy hunting, and good luck!

P

Comment

kudzu

Jane,
                              I got Kudzu capsules at The Vitamin Shoppe. I read on this site on an earlier post that it is a nat'l chain of stores; they also have a website. It was a big store; bigger than the GNCs I remember from the mall. I talked with my best friend last night, who used to work at Wild Oats and other health food stores and is quite an expert on supplements, and she had read research about kudzu and alcohol cravings. Seems like it's an important component of the program. I haven't taken any of it yet, though.

CS

Comment

Re: kudzu

Thanks, guys. We have a Vitamin Shoppe about 15 minutes away. I always wondered how they stayed in business. Now I know. They stock things no one else does. I don't have to work tomorrow, so I will check it out. The only things I've found so far are the Vitamin B complex and the Magnesium. I saw the Thistle stuff, but the store I was in was out of it, so at least I know it's around. Hopefully I can get all the supps tomorrow at the Vitamin Shoppe and then it's just the Topamax.

Thanks again.

Jane.

Comment

Working...
                                X