Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's just started or really starting in the New Year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vitamin shoppe

Jane -- I got the whole list of supps there. Be sure to look for the Vitamin Shoppe "store brand" of many of the items; they're cheaper. I still need to find one of those 4 row by 7 column vitamin boxes; the ones they had there were the wrong size. I haven't looked real hard anywhere else yet tho.

CS

Comment

Re: vitamin shoppe

sounds very positive. did you guys have luck finding the all one powder? thats the one i couldn't find. don't think it is available in canada. did order it online. was supposed to be 5 day delivery. been 7 ..... kind of funny, first time i ordered it was be 4 i started, and who knows what i entered, cause there was no record of my order, oops, one too many glasses of merlot.... but the second order was after i was well on my way should get here any day. looking forward to that. i think it is important to get all the supps tho, they work together to squash craving. the kudzo says on the bottle that it "is commonly used as a part of a proactive program to overcome detrimental health habits" the thistle helps to heal your liver and the calms forte to counter any anxiety you may experience, and the various others to counter any side effects from the topa. I havent experienced any major effects from the topa. one problem, my health care provided has only authorized a maximum daily dose of 100mg - i am going to have to gather up the nerve to call and request a higher daily to dose up - i dont want to screw this up - its the first time anything has ever worked. one thing i did notice with the topa, i have a hot tub, the first couple of days, when i got out, i couldn;t cool down for a while. chalked it up to perimenapause lol did pass after 2 day tho. not a big deal just kind of weird. anyways, good luck Jane keep hunting and be free to all

Comment

CS,
        I found a nice pill box at Target if they have those near where you live. It actually has 7 separate sleeves, one for each day of the week and 4 seperate compartments in each sleeve.

Marcie

Comment

newfreeme,
          I am contemplating not going above 100 mg myself. This is a really strong medicine, and it is already working (very well) for me at 75mg . I am just going to see how it goes. If I start wanting to binge again then, we'll see. I am going to be brutally honest with myself and with my physician. I am just saying it is possible that not everyone needs to go all the way to 300 mg. But I can see that you would want to have that option, and not to have any limits at all, so that you could have everything available in your favor for success.
          Good luck!

Comment

Vida,

What dose of the topa did you start out with?

T.

Comment

kudzu

Hi Jane,

I got kudzu online (a great big jar!!) of the higher dose capsules (much higher than the vitamin shoppe around here (I'm in Maryland) at www.viableherbalsolutions.com.
              The price was pretty reasonable, if I recall correctly, about $36.00 for 350 capsules.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!
              Kathy

Comment

Re: kudzu

I started at 25mg , just like in the book, and (so far) have been dosing up according to the lancet article / My way out schedule. (I started with the supplements and CDs 3 or 4 days before that). But you should have seen my physician's eyebrows go up when she saw in the article that the Topamax increases to 300mg! She said "that's really high!" ..... "let's just see how you do!". She wanted me to come back in a month, and we will talk about how high to go for me as an individual. I am finishing week 3 right now. She seemed to think 300mg would not be necessary.

Comment

topa max dose

good to know my doc's not the only one i am only at 50 rit now and dont feel any effects but i guess i will wait and see how i feel when i go higher. i think i will try talking to doc tho, like you say, i want to know the option is there if i feel i need it anyways, time for bed, nice restful sleep to all and be free. sleep good

Comment

Re: topa max dose

Hi Newfreebee, I'm very new to this program.. Just trying to figure out what'll work. I do know that I know my body & how it reacts to certain things, apparently, better than my GP.
                    I take an anti seizure med.( for the past 7 yrs), head trauma from an auto accdt. and as long as I take it ( knock on wood), I haven't had one. But I do take a minimal dosage, (it makes me spacey & slow witted), I've told my Dr. that I take 1/2 the amount he prescribes, & He's been Ok w/ that for the past few yrs. But recently, a few months ago, he wanted me to change meds. He put me on Keppra. Doesn't work for me...So I guess what I'm saying is --I'm no DR., but listen to your body, cause we're all different... I tried the Keppra for 2 wks or so, they say it takes time for your body to adjust... I felt like I was possessed! I felt mean & aggresive & negetive, and could see no color or beauty in the world. Scarey stuff...I no longer take the Keppra( about 10 days now), and feel so much better. I've ordered the Kudzo, but I'm apprehensive about introducing a mood altering substance into my body.

Funny I never felt it was a problem w/cocaine , whisky, or tequila DUH.! PS Have you heard that song that Joe Nichols does? "Tequila makes her clothes fall off"? I don't even remember meeting him!! LOL Hugs Judie

Comment

Maybe this could replace alcohol

Kath,
                      I think it is a great idea and have got to say I have read the book, oredered the tapes and I am prepping myself to give up. Unfortunately I am not going to have the assistance of Topimax or any other type of substitute as my body is very sensitive to medication - even anisthetic. The doctors dont believe how I drink what I drink but cant handle anisthetic or medication very well. But I am am determined to do it and my husband is also doing the cds with me once they arrive. It will be good to have people to talk to that can fully comprehend the situation not just dismiss you like you are a weak person because you cant control it. I dont want to completely abstain, just want to be able to manage it. Keep me in the loop even though Im not taking topimax - I would really appreciate it. Thanx Curious

Comment

I am officially going to start on Monday. I have the herbs and the tapes, meds will be coming. Now, do you fully obstain the first day or wait until the cravings stop and then stop or slowly cut back until you don't need it. I am also including counseling in my support. Please let me know about your first day and how you started and how you felt. Thanks, I am scared, but I have a bipolar husband and I need to get well for my daughter.

Comment

Re: Newbie

Hi IM,

I also have everything but the topa, should be here next week. I have been leading up to this for about 2 weeks now trying to get everything lined up. Tomorrow is my start day! I am going to do it with out any drinking. I have been cutting back (a little) lol...So look out world, here I come. Good luck to you on Monday!
                          Take care,
                          Tammie
                          ps: I am also Scared! It will be like loosing my best friend! But I really want to do this for myself and for my Husband and kids!

Comment

St Jude,
                            If you have seizures, and migraines and a drinking problem, it seems to me that topamax would be killing 3 birds with 1 stone. It is prescribed for all of those complaints! What does your doctor think?

I havent felt that Topamax is a "mood altering" substance. There has not been any change in my mood directly due to it that I can see. The first week of not drinking, I was very irritable, (which I understand is a normal reaction to eliminating daily or almost daily alcohol) but that has resolved.

The concern about the drug for me, is not so much the short term side effects, (although if I start getting lost or having language problems it will freak me out and I will have to re-think everything) (so far no side effects)............ but my concern is more the long term stuff, that perhaps we havent seen yet. My physician said it has not been studied long term yet. Also I do understand that different people have varying reactions to drugs of all types. I have never been a "sensitive" person to ingested substances. But, as far as I can see, topa is a wonder drug of sorts. I have not had a migraine since starting, I have not wanted to drown myself in alcohol. (haleluja, I was beginning to do that 5 times a week!)

But you should be at a place where you are motivated and ready to let that go from your life, and have all the support that you want and need, before taking topamax, because it really has made me not want to drink.

(Not to mention the Hypnosis work, I think it is in the back ground of my subconcious doing its magic all the time....)

Comment

I agree with ST jude , absolutely no mind altering. and as far as getting lost etc, idont know bout you guys, but i was suffering from that and far worse every time i got up in the morning and tried to drive the 30 km to work and my kid to school i feel so much more with it now that a little confusion would still be a refresshing change - as for sorry cant remember your name - worrying about alien substances in your body, i laugh when yoy mention alcohol and cocaine not being an issue. i here you - different when you think with a clear head i guess. The way i see it, i'm taking everything the book suggested, and i have never felt better in my life. (and at a harsh 42 years, that's saying something) anyways, like you said everyone knows ourselves better than anyone else. trust yourself. for the first time in a long time, your in a place where you actually can. be free.

Comment

Hey there Vida, Funny you would use that choice of words...3 birds w/one stone. I just got off the phone w/a friend of mine, after using the exact words myself, refering to Topa. I'm gonna make an appt w/ my GP, and ask him about it. Kinda wonder why he hasn't thought of it...He knows about my drinking, don't think Ive talked to him about the headaches tho. But even w/2 of the demons present, ...I'm thinking maybe he's over paid!! Not that I'd wanna' be a Dr. That's a scarey thought! Hugs & Prayers, Judie

Comment

Working...
                                X