• Show
Clear All

topa side affects...

Sounds about right to me, charmyne.

Kathy

Comment

topa side affects...

side effects

My only side effect seems to be gastro problems, however, at this time of year you don't know if its a virus or a side effect. I am still drinking and drank way too much the other night and am very disappointed in myself.

Comment

topa side affects...

Re: side effects

Hi marie,

Why not give the Campral a try? It sounds like your reaction to the Topa has been extreme - and when the "cure" is worse than the "disease" well...! Campral is a very safe medication, and as far as I know there aren't any contraindications for antidepressants; why not talk to your doctor about it? Maybe some of the people who have had success with it could weigh in.

Best,
        Kate

Comment

topa side affects...

Side Effects

Hey Kate

I saw my doctor this week and spoke to him about my side effects, etc. I also spoke to him about an anti-depressant, which he prescribed. He hadn't heard about Campral when I brought it up, so he checked and the first two side effects were suicide and depression, so he has decided to table the Campral for now until we get the depression under control. I was a bit disappointed.

Marie

Comment

topa side affects...

Hello All:
            My side effects are still tiredness. Exersize helps. Also I still have the urge about 6PM to have a drink which I usually have. But I do find myself only haveing one or two watered down. Today I increased Topo to 50Mg.
            Anyone else with urges at this stage.
            Ed

Comment

topa side affects...

Amy :
              Thanks for the words your symtoms sound just like what I'm going through. When did your urges do drink start to subside.
              I'm staying the course because that is just the kind of guy I am.
              Thanks
              again
              Ed

Comment

topa side affects...

Ed Yes, I still have the cravings, plus I have a salty taste in my mouth. I too went up to 50 mg this week....Caved a couple of days...but no more! I know mine is more of a mental crave then a physical thing.....That one I have to work out for myself. I think we have to step up in order for the "nope, don't want any more" to kick in. Good luck to you. Stay strong! We can do this.
                ~Tammie

Comment

topa side affects...

Ed,

That's a little difficult to answer. You see I didn't find MWO until after I quit drinking and I initially went offshore for my Topa so I didn't start taking it until I was into about my third week of sobriety. By then many of the physical cravings had subsided. I would say that initially Topa did more to 'help take the edge off' than anything else. Now, I would say that it (in combination with the rest of the program) allows me to really be satisfied with having just one or two glasses of wine when I go out.

I still get cravings, but they are not physical. As Tammie points out the psychological cravings still exist...and they do, even after five months, albeit much less frequently. You don't erase 20 years of learned behavior overnight. But I've made a promise to myself not to give into those pyschological cravings. I believe that for myself I must break those patterns in order to maintain my long-term sobriety. In my view this is a disease of both nature and nurture. We're physically predisposed to it, and we've nurtured it in ourselves. I've got to attack it from both sides. So while the Topa helps with the physical side, it's up to me (with the help of exercise, hypno, etc.) to tackle the psychological side.

Amy

Comment

topa side affects...

Amy,
                    I really like your "nature-nurture" analogy. As we know from MWO, the problem -- and its solution(s) -- are multifaceted. Whci hs really a breath of relief from AA one-size-fits- all "treatment."

I'm pregnant right now; who knows what my mind or body are doing, so I am probably not one to compare to. Patterns are important I think. I have been kinda bored without my drinking habits, but to tell you the truth they weren't all that exciting for the most part, anyway. (I like the comment that Caroline Knapp makes in one of her books after Drinking: A Love Story: A friend asks her
                    "so how did you spend your time when you were drinking?"
                    She responds "I came home, got drunk, watched TV and went to bed."
                    "And what do you do now?"
                    "I come home, watch TV, and go to bed."

I know I too need some new activities, but being tired and figuring out the mysteries of pregnancy are about it for now.

Glad the program is working well for you. I agree with your insights.

CS

Comment

topa side affects...

Amy, thanks. Cut way back to almost nothing and my tiredness is much less. I'm staying the course because I'm starting to see progress. Wow I'm excited. New chapter in my life.
                      Ed

Comment

topa side affects...

New

I am new to this chat and wanted just to see if I can join in. I think you are all asleep now.. in the US? I'm just waiting for my book and CD's and hoping to start the program. Am overjoyed to find you guys. All past experiences with detox were so punitive. I really need to go through this process with respect for myself. This program sounds like it might give me the opportunity to detox in a positive way at last. If this post works, I'll be back!! And God willing, I'll be a stayer!!

Comment

topa side affects...

Re: New

Welcome myfavouritemartian,

Glad you found us,
                          Sorry you've had negative experiences in the past; today is a new day.You'll find lots of good information here on past posts, and if you have any questions, ask away! The people here are great.
                          Best of luck to you on your new journey.

Kate

Comment

topa side affects...

Welcome Favorite Martian!

I hope you'll come back too. I wouldn't exactly say that this is a cake walk, but it's been easier in many ways that I've expected, and the support on this board is terrific! I feel like I have a group of friends, something I never would have expected to find online!

Keep posting and see how you feel!

Kathy

Comment

topa side affects...

topa

Hi Kate, Hi Kathy,
                              You guys are all terrific.
                              I am in Australia and will have to find a doc who knows what topa is.
                              Do you have any advice as to where to find it on the web so I can show my doc on Friday?
                              Oh yeah, it's fine to call me Martian!

Comment

topa side affects...

Re: topa

Hi Martian,

For starters, you can click on the research tab on this site and print out a number of articles on topamax. Just right up there on the top of the page. Makes some interesting reading for yourself, too. Also, I think one of the discussion threads also has the research too. Let me post this and be right back!

Kathy

Comment

Working...
                                X