Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

lilla;1205215 wrote: Hi to everyone starting their day, it's time for bed for me and I have made 3 days. I am sooooo proud cos it's years since I have achieved this long. I have been reading all the posts over and over and over, so just wanted to say thank you to everyone really for the help and motivation I have found here.
    Hi lilla, and quite right too that you are proud of yourself. Taking those first steps after daily drinking for so long is a major breakthrough. It is the beginning of 'clarity', of seeing what is on the other side.....and it's all good! Have a peaceful night and see you soon! Well done!
    IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
    Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters & Yetis alike :H :H

Sunny & warming up to the high 60's here today - nice

Lots of work waiting for this granny so I'll get to it but want to say CONGRATS to Blondie on 7 AF days

I'll be back, have a great AF Tuesday one & all!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Gregorino - am on my own next two weeks so I will be a hypno fool.

Honestly - if it wasn't for that calming herbal tea that's so expensive plus the aminos/glutamine and GABA - I wouldn't make the evenings.

I read everything under the sun on nutrition for recovery - so I get a B-50 at Breakfast and Lunch (too much energy for lunch - and AL depletes it so much, water soluble so loading up doesn't hurt - and who knew the lack can critically impact energy, depression, anxiety, anger management, and brain function). I know I need it - my last labs show my B's, D's, and Magnesium nearly non-existant.

So how many of my symptoms I self-treated with AL were caused by AL? How many of us are taking Meds for anxiety or depression that if we were AL free and nutritionally repaired - we •might• be able to begin weaning off of - with medical permission/supervision of course.

How many of us think our memory loss may be permanent but it's possibly a symptom of not enough aminos to help the brain heal up some of the things we have done to it? Or A shortage of long chain essential fatty acids - also caused by our AL diets of not eating real food - but drinking our calories- and helping ourselves with supplements that feed this need such as a good fishoil to get the DHA/EPA will over time make a difference?

I don't know. I am early at this yet. I have only been on some of the supplements for a month before going AF and the rest the week of. All I know is my skin is not as red - I have more energy - and I am actually dreaming - which is supposedly triggered by one of the B's.(I forget which).

It could be the supplements, it could be being AF. I am not arguing. I do know my labs sucked and they said given how bad they were it's a miracle the anemia allowed me to be upright at all and that I was so low on everything else - I had developed the tinnitus (ringing in my ears) and the shaking hands. I had ZERO immune system and caught everything. My temper flared at the drop of a hat - not like me. Also a sign of shortage of B's. My temper - more than the late night stupidity - was losing me friends.

I was SICK. AL drains B's like nothing else. If you aren't ready to go AL free yet - at least supplement your B's.

There are plenty of places to go to find out more - there is a Health Recovery Center (SP ?) in Minneapolis - someone else I forget who - posted a link in the nest - that will save you time - I went all over researching individual vitamins - then found that and found I'd wasted literally 40 hours of research time learning the same thing.

But the biggest impacts besides the B's - are the aminos's/glutamine/GABA in the afternoon before I leave work, an hour or so after dinner, and again later in the evening. They curb the worst of the cravings. I don't think I'd be this far without them.

So welcome Day 13. Today I will be stronger than AL.

Do go find
        That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
        Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
        AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

good morning! Still not 100% but a bit better...Im going to put up Christmas lights after work I think....since it's so warm...but I won' light them don't worry!

Excellent post prairie! I'm into the nutritional aspect as well - and love learning from others. Thanks!

See you later little birdies - I'm off and running (flying)
          ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello All!
            I'm new here and have been directed here by fellow posters!
            https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...ies-53369.html
            My original post. I am hoping to get help support and encouragement as well and give the same!
            How is everyone. Today will be my first day without Alcohol in over a month. actually I cant remember the last day I didnt have at least one drink in a while. I know there were one or two in October.

MinStar

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi MinStar - you can hang here and pick from one or two other just starting out threads - they take their own personality. Just scroll down the recent list - find ones that you like - and hang out there for secondary support - recognizing the nest is where you check in at every day. :-)
              That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
              AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Prairie Fairy;1205262 wrote: Hi MinStar - you can hang here and pick from one or two other just starting out threads - they take their own personality. Just scroll down the recent list - find ones that you like - and hang out there for secondary support - recognizing the nest is where you check in at every day. :-)
                :thanks:Prairie Fairy- I feel like everyone is doing so well. I hope some of that rubs off on me.

I am really interested on the nutrition/metabolism/supplements. I read a little on another thread this morning. I am really confused as there seems to be so much to take. I take Multivits, am vegetarian but have a good diet (what actually gets absorbed is another thing) and I take Iron every so often. Should I be taking Multivits? B Vit Complex? Cod Liver oil? Or is there one pill that has it all (I wish!)

I think alot of those things are in Pregnacare tablets- from what I recall

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters,

Sounds like there was a lot going on here last night and everyone rose to the occasion and the Nesters got it DONE. I was involved in my on drama yesterday and was not in the best place mentally to be any help. My daughter was taken to ER in the morning and situations like that stress me out. I think it is still with me a bit, even though she is fine.

Seven weeks ago a situation like that would have given me a good old excuse to open the bottle of wine, but yesterday it was a fleeting thought. I was so in the moment and there for my daughter and was actually able to make jokes for her. I do not believe that would have happened had I been drinking the night before. It definitely would have been so different and much more stressful and filled with anxiety.

I want to add that I did notice a difference at about 2 weeks, in that I did not crave a drink as much as in the initial stages, and I could get over the cravings easier and with more confidence. Now, at about 6 weeks, it is truly so much easier. Most of the cravings are subsiding and it is a passing thought. In the "old days" I would have drank that problem under the table. Not now. You will see yourselves getting stronger too in no time. I can promise you that. Heck you are already stronger. I see it every new day.

Thanksgiving thoughts of wine -- Egads...if I do that I know my timing will be off and things will be hit and miss. But heck I'll be incoherent and won't notice. Until the next day when I realize I didn't even serve desert, let alone make coffee. Not this time. My menu will be planned and it will be on time and amazing and I will make sure my family is well taken care of on this day. And I am going to love every, sober minute of it. And you can too....

Gotta go take my supplements (almost forgot). I will get back to this when I have more time.

Min Star -- Have you checked out the All One powder. I have done some comparisons with other multi-vitamins and it seems like a good one and you take it once a day mixed with juice, since it is powder. No pills to swallow. I would recommend it for a multi-vitamin.

Have a wonderful day you beautiful NESTERS!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Prarie...I hardly know where to start regarding taking meds. But you asked...
                    To set the stage, a year ago this time, I was taking 3 Blood Pressure meds, Cymbalta for depression, Vit D, Calcium, and Potassium to prevent kidney stones. I also have Crohn's/Coliits. I had gone in for my physical and my liver readings were off...but somehow my general dr was willing to ignore them as a fluke. I NEVER told him how much I was drinking. At that appt, I complained of lack of energy and arthritis. I just thought I was getting old (51). Went to a rhuematologist for testing. Got a call back from his office saying I had Hemochromotosis (too much iron in my blood). I had never heard of this...It was Nov 17th..and the nurse told me over the phone, that it was like my body was poisoning itself with heavy metal. The more questions I asked her, the fewer answers she gave me. I got on the internet and read everything I could find, and deduced that I needed to give my liver a break and stop taking any unnecessary meds I thought I could live without. (This is how AL Mind works...give up the MEDS, not the AL....) So I stopped taking the Cymbalta, Calcium and the Potassium. In about a week I started feeliing like I had the flu...one afternoon, I got the shakes, sweats and rapid heartbeat, called my dr and ended up in the ER! The reason??? Cymbalta withdrawals!! It was crazy! They had to give me that stuff they give drug addicts!! methadone??? Anyway...the next 5 weeks were HORRIBLE getting that stuff out of my system. You aren't supposed to stop taking it cold turkey like I did. I felt horrible all thru the holidays and was really seeing the writing on the wall...I was busting out my liver and I had to stop. Meantime...I began a series of phlebotomies...getting a pint of blood let out so new blood would replace it...it was awful. This went one for a few months...Meantime, on Jan 20, 2011 I stopped drinking. The combo was making my liver inflammed and that made the iron go nuts. April I had more blood work, my liver was bouncing back to normal readings..my blood pressure was down...no one believed my blood work so in May all of it repeated...now off 3 BP meds, my iron was now normal and no more phlebotomies. AND my eyesight has improved 5 steps from January to August!! I blamed my liver readings on Cymbalta and it certainly didn't help, but most of it was the AL (along with Cymbalta). Getting off that drug and stopping AL was the best thing I ever did for my mood/health/liver!!!! I was numb on those 2 things...only when I got off them both did I feel alive and human. My world is now in color...I was numb on Cymbalta and number (pronounced nummer, not like a number) on AL!! So if you can get yourself off these mind altering things and you will see a huge difference. Drinking was making me depressed and Cymbalta was numbing me and both were awful!!! Taper off Cymbalta tho....I nearly killed myself going cold turkey....the less meds I take the better I feel!!!! You will too! I don't want a drug to get off a drug!!! It is true freedom!!
                    No time to proof read...flying out door.....sorry!
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just a quick shout out to you elder birds in the nest: :thanks:...for saving us "Heads up the Arse club" members yesterday. Have a bit of a busy day today, and hopeful not to be like yesterday.
                      BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi - found the link - don't know that I would buy the supplements from here - I found several more cost effectively at the VitaminShoppe or GNC but....

Bio-Recovery Formulas
                        AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Windy

Really sorry to hear about your daughter, but you say she's ok now? Well done for staying on the path. You're one of my inspirations in the nest - your words really touched me when I kept falling off the wagon and you helped me get right back on.

So thank you and hoping all's well with you and family
                          You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Windy and PrairieFairy- I am not sure I need to be on them due to the levels I drink? Or do I take them anyway? getting to the horrible hour- already thinking I could have some wine
                            Off to bath and feed baby before putting her to bed. No doubt I will be back soon
                            Thanks again guys!

Comment

Newbies Nest

:welcome: from me too MinStar. Don't listen to the voice - tell it to bugger off! Stick around the nest - you'll be fine tonight Have a happy AF evening
                              You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life? Rumi

:lilangel:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady, thanks for sharing your experience with meds. I just started taking zoloft for anxiety (and probably depression) which was also part of the reason I quit drinking. However, I was on Lexapro for a few years and that did not stop me from drinking, in fact made me enjoy getting drunker faster (stupid i know). I do wonder if once I straighten myself out with the AL, the anxiety and depression will melt away. Right now I am in a zoloft fog, do not like it, but will wait it out for a while to see if it will do anything positive for me. Have a physical scheduled for late next week, if that goes well, a lot of my anxiety should disappear.
                                BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Working...
                                X