Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Congratulations NOAL!!!!!!!! 60 days is awesome!

And Timpin 42! There are BIG numbers all around here in the nest - I honestly am so very impressed with everyone.

Hey Byrdie, next time I get a great idea like that? I'm asking you for a catchy title..:H

There is some good info on the thread...it's called "Thinking of moderating?" I think...I'll look for it.
    ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Newbies Nest

Here is the thread... https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...ate-53575.html let's nickname it "fallen heroes"...
      ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Help...I am stuck here with 4 kids ages 8-11 and the dog for the second day (2 kids and the dog are mine), while kids' mother is having surgery. Had them since yesterday (they spent the night) and I did not sleep well because one kid was homesick and drifting around late. I am so close to drinking as they are driving me nuts. Even while they are watching a movie, I am still on edge, as they are driving the dog nuts who is also driving me nuts. Took one xanax already... I pretty much single parent through the week as my husband works so late, so he is no help here. Every other minute someone needs something to eat/drink/where's a blanket, etc etc etc. I am so far behind on Christmas stuff and had hoped to get something done today...Just want to throw in the towel and say F it all and get a good buzz on.

Just needed to complain to someone, and look for support to keep me from drinking. Just had to go to the laundry room and the vodka is looking mighty inviting. Please send me some vibes of strength...:upset:
        BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Belle Girl complain away, throw a fit do it all on here and don't take that drink

I myself have been seriously depressed for several days don't know why.. hit my 30 day mark feeling pretty darn good..I am now on day 37 and feeling so so low and I just don't know why, haven't changed anything, taking my supps, eating well, getting to bed early .. no slips even though last night I really wanted a glass of wine... is this normal???

Congrats Noel on 60 days its just wonderfrul

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Belle/Herbie

Stick in there Belle. If you go and have the drink, the kids will still be there shouting and hollering, but the only difference is that you'll feel a lot worse. Perhaps sit and make a list of everything you have not done for Christmas yet and then you can start and tick them all of one by one as the week goes on by. If you really wanted to get a little satisfaction, you could always go to the laundry room and pour the Vodka down the sink. Imagine what the little monster in your head would make of that ?

Herbie, maybe you are depressed because you are in a little bit of a lull having achieved something magnificent by going 37 days ? You and I both know it would be a shame to throw that time away by having a drink ( which you know you will regret anyway). Herbie, I just know that you are not going to be tempted at this stage. You have done all of the hard work now and that little monster in your head is nearly beaten, but he is putting up a bit of a fight. Kick him where it hurts and have a soft drink. You'll feel better in the morning. I just got through day 42 and to celebrate, I took out a gym membership and had my first workout tonight. That is helping to while away the time that I used to spend drinking. Life is so much better without poison in my glass !

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Nesters!!!

Just check in .
              My day 3 starts.
              Will be back later and will answer to some posts and some toughts more..

Wishing everybody sober and peaceful day!!!
              The time for action is now. It's never too late to do something.
              /Antoine de Saint-Exupery/

Comment

Newbies Nest

last night I wanted that glass of wine, not tonight... just don't know why I feel so depressed .. It really has me down!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Belle - don't do it please. Tomorrow you will regret it and the little bit of relief you get at the start is just that - a little relief and only at the start. White knuckle through this dear one - you can do it.

Herbie - sending hugs your way.
                  That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
                  Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
                  AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

hey Belle, are you around??? Oh boy, do I know that feeling. Pull out our tools. Think about how you will feel during the night when you wake up...and in the morning when you realize you were unsuccesful...and how physically crappy you will feel. And do you want to undo all the good that you have done for your body? NO!!!!! If you do drink it, this might be that time that it's damn hard to get out of the hamster wheel...you did ok with your other two slips, but you know for a fact from those here that that isn't always the case. In fact it's more likely going to be damn hard to jump back on the horse.

You will feel so great if you handle this stress without a crutch ! You'll know you did it. Tonight won't last forever. You WILL get through it!
                    ~

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Herbie!!!

I don' t have such long expierience of being AF but i read that' s normal when you quit drinking - mood swings, irritability, sometimes mild depression...
                      But if it' s not going to change for you perhaps you should visit your doctor for some advice.

Try to something reallly good for yourself, maybe spoil yourself

Wishing you positive toughts!!!! No wine!!! I remember when i was child my mother told me - wine you drink for joy not for sorrow..

Some years ago i started to drink to heel my sorrow...that' s why i' m here now....
                      The time for action is now. It's never too late to do something.
                      /Antoine de Saint-Exupery/

Comment

Newbies Nest

Herbie, unfortunately hitting the 30 day mark doesn't turn off the ups and downs...Everybody is different, but I will tell you that well past 30 days I was still having periods of feeling really down, feeling really tempted, and feeling really tired and sometimes almost ill. I honestly think my body is STILL adjusting - and no wonder! There were soo many years of filling it with alcohol...and mentally? of dealing with every joy, every heartache, ever bit of tension - with alcohol...

Remember that before you probably didn't feel "true" feelings....I know I didn't. Everything - good or bad - had the edge taken off with alcohol....so yeah, I think we're going to be suprised by the intensity of some of those feelings when they aren't blurred by drinking. Hang in there...:l
                        ~

Comment

Newbies Nest

I am sorry for the short hand response - I am not trying to sound all bossy pants - just waiting for family and out of time. XOXO
                          That popping sound you hear is me attempting to remove my head from my arse. It's been there for years so this may take a while.
                          Admitting I need healing. And I am not big enough to do this alone.
                          AF - August 20, 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks so much, guys. I knew coming here was the right thing to do while I am feeling that way. Everything you all say makes a huge difference to me, and I am so grateful to be able to come here.

I fed the kids and sent them downstairs so that I can at least hear them from a distance. Also, I am eating dinner now, so that will help also. I made a plan for the next couple of hours: have 1 or 2 kids walk the dog with me, make some homemade ice cream and then get them to do a project I was asked to do for my daughter's class. It's pretty simple, just cutting out the center of paper plates. I'll pay them 50 cents for each one they do. We'll see if that works. They may be spending the night again tonight...OMG... If so, we will kill some time going to their house to pick up more clothes for them...I'll have to drive, so that will keep me sober also.

But the thing that turned me around a bit is that I received a phone call from another family that offered to take the girls tomorrow. That gave me some hope that this won't go on forever...:H Usually I try to be the martyr and refuse help, but this time I thanked them and said yes, I would much appreciate that and would call in the morning to coordinate the transfer. A true blessing!

Herbie, hope you feel better tomorrow. I am not feeling as happy as I thought I should be after this much AF time. This is always a tough time of year as so many of us expect things to be special, and then things turn out ordinary.

Timpin, your comment "If you go and have the drink, the kids will still be there shouting and hollering, but the only difference is that you'll feel a lot worse." really resonated with me. Unfortunately I can't pour the Vodka down the sink because it is my husband's and with my luck he would look for it tomorrow for his once every 2 month drink.

PF and Lola...thanks for the pep talks. Sometimes the head just wants to find the arse again, doesn't it?

I think I will be OK now. But if it wasn't for you all and this site...I know which way this would have gone.:thanks::thanks::thanks:
                            BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Unlike most of our crowd, I did not get over my craving for liquor much during the first two and one-half years of abstinence. It was almost always with me. But at no time have I been anywhere near yielding. I used to get terribly upset when I saw my friends drink and knew I could not, but I schooled myself to believe that though I once had the same privilege, I had abused it so frightfully that it was withdrawn. So it doesn?t behoove me to squawk about it for, after all, nobody ever had to throw me down and pour liquor down my throat.

The above is a quote from Dr. Bob, one of the founders of AA. For 2 1/2 years after he quit drinking he "craved" a drink. But he didn't drink. He was never even close to picking up that first drink even though his mind craved it. Because he wanted sobriety even more than he wanted that drink.

Just because we think about drinking after ____ days it doesn't mean we are failures or that we are doing something wrong. Here, it's not so much what we think as what we do...just don't drink.
                              "If I don't go crazy, honey, I'm going to lose my mind." Son House

Comment

Newbies Nest

I totally agree with you John
                                After you've detoxed & have some AF time under your belt those early cravings turn into 'thoughts', you don't have to respond to them. I just kept telling myself 'I don't drink anymore'. Eventually thoughts come less frequently. Just keep distracting yourselves Belle & Herbie!!!

Greetings to everyone tonight!
                                Tell me about your plans for a great AF weekend
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X