• Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Welcome back Jane
    Pull up a twig & settle in once again.

What's up aclassicgirl?
    Sometimes it helps to just spill it out - here's a good place

Dealing with this arctic weather is exhausting!
    Happy to hear some little bit of warmth is due to return tomorrow.
    My son & his family are in Disneyworld this week. They are dealing with weather in the 40's, oh well.

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest. I'm hanging out in front of the fire - nice.
    Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

late check-in from me at the end of day3

I'm feeling remarkably human, shakes & sweats have gone, sleep is still pretty rubbish with crazy dreams, but I can live with that. my mood has definitely lifted too, I have some enthusiasm/motivation to do something more than, well, nothing, which is what I mostly do when I'm drinking. I'm making a start on cleaning my place up & setting some long-overdue affairs in order, & even little accomplishments like these make me feel better

I'm not really craving AL, thankfully. just need to watch myself the next few days when the "hey, I'm doing okay, drinking wasn't so bad"-itis sets in

anyway, I'm bushed - long couple of first days back after xmas/ny - might even get a decent night's sleep tonight

have a good night everyone

-badger

Comment

Newbies Nest

Quick stop by to say hi - I am still sober inspiite of DH issues. I am protecting my OWN quit. Drinking is not an option. Not for me, I am here to win.
        AF since 10/20/2013
        Smoke free since 09/24/2007
        Meat free since 09/20/2008
        ---------------------------------------
        With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Newbies Nest

still birth - I was reading your post about your dream...I too believe in dreams and I believe your dream had to too with the birth because it is a new beginning for your...a birth of a new beginning in your early stages of alcoholic freedom. Keep this in mind at your weakest moments....blessing to you!

End of day 7 here for me and I tell ya it has been rough. After work I came straight home, ate and went to bed and took almost a 2 hour nap. I just woke up and wanted to check in. It was a hard night for wanting the wine. Its my second day back to work after being off for two weeks and my routine was work, pick up wine, pick up kid and then on home to start my night of drinking. I made dinner for the kids and DH but I wouldn't eat until I was wasted and then I would pass out. Now I am just not sure what to do with myself. I start classes tomorrow so that will keep me busy...last term I would drink while listening to my classes and then forget the whole class. I wonder if I will be getting a better grade this term...lets hope.

Good night to all xoxox
          Honeysoup :heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

HS - it will be better sooner then later! great that you going to school! What degree you are working towards? I just started my last class in my MBA! I wonder also how this class will go sober.
            AF since 10/20/2013
            Smoke free since 09/24/2007
            Meat free since 09/20/2008
            ---------------------------------------
            With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Newbies Nest

I am getting my BA in Nutritional Science...I have no excuse to eat healthy and live a healthier life if I want my career to go some where...Fuck you AL!!!
              Honeysoup :heart:

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE, Nest:

I read all the posts, but I have a hard time commenting on them all each night.

AClass - I hope you feel better. That was an eye-opener for me - I can still get moody, anxious, etc., WITHOUT alcohol? The beauty is that you can get through it sober, feel better when it is over, and not add to the bad feelings by feeding yourself a depressant. A good cry can be cathartic.

Way to go, MyLuck - you first. You are doing so well in spite of the trouble with your DH. It is amazing to me the things I can do without AL that I thought would never be possible. Stay strong.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oops. Accidentally posted without finishing. Is someone trying to tell me something??

I have to keep it brief anyway - going out to a local sports game with the kids. (I might have chosen to stay home with a drink previously!)

MntGirl -thanks for your link. I dreamed a lot when I was first sober (or I remembered them more) but not as much now.

DipGal, Mechelle - wonderful to read your posts - keep it up.

Jane - settle in - you can do this. It really is not as scary as it seems from there. What is happening with you now?

OK - I am off. Hope you all have safe, happy nights. Happy Tednesday, DTD!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well I read so far back I can't remember who said what but her goes me trying to post longer than a sentence:

Byrdie- live the idea of doing for another when having a shitty day! I'll have to remember that
                    DTD- coffee great and needed thx
                    Sam, LB- thanks for encouragement
                    Dipgal- you could be right this seems like "it" this time
                    Meshell---- I sooooo hear you on the not having as much fun deal ... But I have found that if I accept it's not bad just different and try to appreciate the newness of the experience as is instead of comparing to before that it helps - you're doing great
                    Alllllll newbies- keep going you are going to be okay
                    Jane27- my poor girl you are home ; climb in and tell us about it

Comment

Newbies Nest

Heading to bed, got home from work about 1/2 hr ago. Swam a 1/2 mile tonight in the pool, didn't want to get out, but had customers come in that I needed to lifeguard for. I really enjoy the time when I have it to myself and am completely alone. I find it very meditative and stress relieving.
                      Jane27....6 days ago I felt exactly as you, what do I do, or say. It was easier to just read many of the forums and realize that we all are one and here for the same reason a tiospaye (family/extended family) in a sense. It made it easier to just post about whatever I was thinking.

My 10 yr old daughter has been bugging me about church and God for quite sometime. She has her junior bible she reads and so forth and has friends who go and is very interested. Religion in this sense has never been my thing. I used to go as a young child. I am a practicing Buddhist (kind of ironic due to my years of addiction) and I also adhere to the Native American spirituality, I am part Iroquois and when I moved to SD it was to pursue my degree in AIS (American Indian studies) & Outdoor Education, this was 22 yrs ago. Well 3 yrs ago I went back to college and finished my bachelors in OE w a minor in AIS. I am now working on my masters in sustainability....I want us to leave a better world than the one we came into...in many ways. Long story short...nature is my temple... So tonight at work I was asking around about churches in our town. I may surprise her and take her to a mass tomorrow night. Who else is going to, right? I will always support my kids in their endeavors and she is seeking spiritual guidance...so cool, may do us both some good.... just seems like it's time.
                      By the way if there are any other folks out there who relate to Buddhism, I have been loving the book...The 12 step Buddhist by Darren Littlejohn, it takes the traditional 12 step program and transforms it into more exercises and meditations to accompany the program and in a different perspective.

Well, good night all...tomorrow will be a week for me...I am excited

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE Nesters

Either the Internet or the site has been playing up - things have been really slow; it's better now - hope it stays that way! Other good news - I can actually see a great big yellow ball surrounded by blue (with some white fluffs here and there). I love rain, and will never complain about getting some, but a succession of grey days, like we've had, do get me down. So, Dream is a happy camper again.

Real coffee and decaf on the go - help yourself!

I'm amazed at the amount of studying happening here in the Nest.

MTN, lovely that your girl is trying to make sense of life - and well done you on supporting her.

Myluck and Dip, the longtermers/oldbies really stress the fact of protecting your own quit above all else. It took me a long time to really understand why they were saying it, but now it makes perfect sense! If you're sober, you CAN handle everything life throws at you - the good and the bad; it is the basis of you're whole life, so keep that solid.

Classic, hope you are better.

Jane, just post whatever is one your mind - don't try to overthink things. As Lav said, just spill it out. We talk a lot here, but we also listen a lot.

Everybody, have a lovely AF Hump Day!
                        14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey everyone, late check in for me, thanks everyone for the lovely re welcome. Day 1 is almost over - Thank God, feel like DEATH (Again). Tomorrow, another plan, another go, hanging on in there, gonna give it my all this time.
                          Wishing all a great day :l See ya tomorrow

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE nesters, check in time for me.

Aclassic i hope you are okay, be strong, you can do this. The days are wracking up for a lot of us here.

Badger I loved your "drinking isnt so bad-itis". I can so relate to that one, hell what is just one, can taste it now, i will never go back to what i was! I deserve it, its a celebratory drink as i have done so well, no one will know, i'll just get a bottle, surely that is better than the two i used to buy. I wont go back to what i was! They were always my excuses to start with the one and continue on celebrating till i was back to where i was. Its no worth it and once you get over the "itis" then you will feel proud for doing it. Keep posting on here like a mad person if you must but dont have that drink.

ML sorry your hubs has not got it into his head that al will destroy him and proud of you for keeping strong. It would be nice if you could just concentrate fully on you but you are obviously a very strong woman.

Dream it took me a long time to understand about protecting my quit also but now nothing or no one will come in between me and my quit. Tomorrow i am going to spend the night with my SIL, my best guzzling buddy in the world but tomorrow is 40 days without a whiff of al so i will be celebrating that milestone with a bottle of diet ginger beer. She has accepted that i am not drinking and she has lost her al buddy and i think she is sad as it is hard to talk all the shit we used to talk about sober. As far as i am concerned she can get blind drunk but i wont be joining her. I love that feeling of being in total control.

Noodle good on you for day 1, one day at a time is all we can do and it gets better. I never want a day 1 again as long as i live and i wont now! Stay strong!

Well i hope everyone is keeping warm and staying indoors. the cold has been on our news in Aus and i cant even begin to imagine how bone chilling cold it would be for you. Stay safe xx
                            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ordering the book....

MntGirl;1609726 wrote: Heading to bed, got home from work about 1/2 hr ago. Swam a 1/2 mile tonight in the pool, didn't want to get out, but had customers come in that I needed to lifeguard for. I really enjoy the time when I have it to myself and am completely alone. I find it very meditative and stress relieving.
                              Jane27....6 days ago I felt exactly as you, what do I do, or say. It was easier to just read many of the forums and realize that we all are one and here for the same reason a tiospaye (family/extended family) in a sense. It made it easier to just post about whatever I was thinking.

My 10 yr old daughter has been bugging me about church and God for quite sometime. She has her junior bible she reads and so forth and has friends who go and is very interested. Religion in this sense has never been my thing. I used to go as a young child. I am a practicing Buddhist (kind of ironic due to my years of addiction) and I also adhere to the Native American spirituality, I am part Iroquois and when I moved to SD it was to pursue my degree in AIS (American Indian studies) & Outdoor Education, this was 22 yrs ago. Well 3 yrs ago I went back to college and finished my bachelors in OE w a minor in AIS. I am now working on my masters in sustainability....I want us to leave a better world than the one we came into...in many ways. Long story short...nature is my temple... So tonight at work I was asking around about churches in our town. I may surprise her and take her to a mass tomorrow night. Who else is going to, right? I will always support my kids in their endeavors and she is seeking spiritual guidance...so cool, may do us both some good.... just seems like it's time.
                              By the way if there are any other folks out there who relate to Buddhism, I have been loving the book...The 12 step Buddhist by Darren Littlejohn, it takes the traditional 12 step program and transforms it into more exercises and meditations to accompany the program and in a different perspective.

Well, good night all...tomorrow will be a week for me...I am excited
                              Enjoyed your post. What amazing degrees. I was raised Catholic & love our new Pope! I, however, consider Nature my Church as well. This year is about abstinence & spiritual, emotional, & physical balance. Ordering your recommended 12 step book. Happy New Year.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters & Happy Hump day!

Still in the single digits in my portion of the nest but the weather people are promising a warm up is on the way, yay

I have to agree, connecting with nature definitely helped restore balance in my life. Just stepping outside, sitting quietly for a few minutes & listening to nature's sounds helps me a whole lot

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Wednesday!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X