Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Gotcha Wags! Thx.
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Newbies Nest

blackflag;1702346 wrote: Hey everyone, some really good posts to read through tonight! Just got in from a long as day (I went out a 7 am and it's now 2am)
      I played my first gig since I became af, and I must say I really enjoyed being really present and not just there, if that makes sense.
      When I first went into the bar I felt all of a sudden that I really wanted a drink, but I had a look on here on my phone and it strengthened my resolve no end. Someone even bought me a beer and I just said no thank you, I don't drink.
      I'm really glad I got through it, especially after the state the other guys were in on the way home.
      I'm definitely not in a hurry to go back to a bar, however!
      I'll check back in tomorrow morning.
      Well done, Mr Rollins (assuming that's where the blackflag reference came from). I'm also a musician and know all to well the temptations that come with performing. Heck, with rehearsals, jams...music and AL are so tightly coupled, but the last time I went 70 days i had gotten through all those scenes AF and was stoked. Looking forward to getting back there.

Anyway, get some rest and great job!
      Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
      Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Bflag~ Strong work choosing not to drink today and sharing with us and staying plugged into this freak show! We got black belts in sobriety in here.
        I understand not feeling comfortable in a Bar. I went af 10 months before and never did feel comfortable in my old watering holes. Sounds like you are doing great!
        Stay Hard!
        AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi All - I'm nearing the end of Day 3 and no drinks today either. Although the day isn't quite over, I know I won't drink between now and bed because I've got kids in my house having a sleep over (and I don't keep alcohol in the house) so I couldn't run to the store if I wanted to.

Tomorrow will be the difficult one because I'm going to a party tomorrow night. My plan is to go on the early side, stay for only 1-2 hours, drink water while I'm there and then leave. In a way, I don't even want to go, but I kind of have to (social obligations). So, fingers crossed?

NewStartNow - I too am more of a binge drinker than a daily drinker. Unfortunately, I've gotten to the point where I have to drink more than a bottle of wine to feel drunk (which is the goal because I like being drunk) and drinking that much alcohol freaks me out for several reasons. It must be doing something terrible to my brain and body. I'm terrified that I'm causing serious damage to my brain or causing myself cancer. And, it is making me fat. Three or four bottles of wine a week is enough to make you gain 2 pounds a month. That'll make you fat in a hurry. Anyways, those are my primary reasons for stopping. Unfortunately, if I have one drink, I want another, and if I have another, I want 6. That's just how it is with me. So, I'm just not going to drink at all. Good luck to you.

Comment

Newbies Nest

And one more thing… I have a freakin' headache. Is that part of withdrawal? I typically never get headaches.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi JWP,

I got headaches nearly every day when I first quit. Lasted for a few weeks, then went away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi JWP. Welcome! Yes, headaches are a well documented part of withdrawal for many here. I had a lot of them weeks one and two. They subsided after that.

Congratulations on making the decision to have a healthier life! You will get a lot of support and information here, and in the toolbox. Many here would recommend that you stay away from alcohol environments early on, but if you choose to go, I would recommend eating a LOT of food before you get there. Being full was one of my best weapons - and still is. I also made sure I had a glass of some non-AL beverage in my hand at ALL times.

Anyway, glad you are here. Hope you stick around and great job on 3 days!!
                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Love love love the nest on days like this.

So much to think about!

Byrdie - you're outdoing yourself lately - which is probably impossible.

I feel like here on the left coast of the US I am the last one awake in the nest, so I miss the "conversation." There is so much I want to reply to, but I have had a 14 hour day and am heading to bed.

SO wonderful to hear the humor and resolve. I was listening to an old clip from Joan Rivers on my way home - she was always adamant that we have to laugh, even through the hard times.

Thanks for the speech, Kensho. I was really kind of bummed that life was not all rainbows and unicorns after 30 days - WTF?! Turns out alcohol wasn't at the very root of all problems, but it certainly was the barrier to my dealing with problems in a healthy way. Life STILL isn't all rainbows and puppy dogs, but darn if it isn't a lot better.

A hard man is good to find. Sounds about right.

I leave you with a Black Flag song perfect for a bunch of alkies on a Friday night: http://youtu.be/GCOGM7PL8gY[/video]]Rise Above. (Note, a pretty tame version).

xo
                  Pav

Comment

Newbies Nest

Perfect song pav!
                    Cheers for the support guys. Not had too much sleep, but I still feel a million times better than if I'd been drinking and had 12 hours sleep.
                    There's a bacon sandwich downstairs with my name on it too!

Comment

Newbies Nest

j-vo;1702354 wrote: Wag,
                      I get how to do what you said, but it you wanted to quote a part of their post and not the whole thing and do this with a multiple of posts, then what?
                      You use HTML..in other words to start the quote you want, you start it with this: [ QUOTE ] (no spaces) and to end the quote you do [ /QUOTE ] again no spaces in between the brackets.

if you are quoting multiple post then just cut and paste each quote you want to highlight as above. Hope I helped you some.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdie- thanks for your post. I know that I'm a 'hard case' as AVA alluded too, but I am thankful that you have spent your time on me, as has many others. I am sorry that I have made anyone feel that their words are falling on deaf ears. They certainly aren't.

I appreciate each and every post I read. Thank you all for your insight, hard truths, and experiences.

Much love,

Sarah

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Not exactly looking forward to another day of excessive heat & humidity but that's what we've got here. Storms to arrive later hopefully clearing out this mess

JWP, the headaches are pretty typical. Be sure to keep yourself well hydrated while you detox, really helps.

blackflag, you're doing great!

Wishing everyone a great AF Saturday!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

i seem to be suffering from deaf ears on and off…..need to clear up that problem…..not giving up
                            I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

Boozing has a detrimental effect on our hearing Jennie.

It cleared up for me with some AF time.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin;1702301 wrote: She probably does know more than I think she does, but not all of it or she wouldn't be advocating moderation. I've never done anything outside the relationship to compromise our marriage. The dirty truth is all about the AL consumption only. The amount will probably floor her.
                                Fin, I took the solo approach. Meaning: I simply quit. No fanfare, no announcements to anybody, especially my wife, etc. I figured I had enough to deal with; first day, first week, then Byrdies famous 13 days, and now my upcoming 30 days. So, I didn't want / need anyone else involved- for me it would have been just more added pressure. I really love my wife; great gal, very supportive, but YIKES!

And, any thought of moderation is nowhere in my vocabulary.

When I say I didn't want anyone else involved, that of course does not include this august group of people here on MWO, many of whom I have grown to have great respect for based on their wisdom and willingness to share their respective journey's. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X