Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

HP and TJ big hugs and huge congrats on your 30 days, life only gets better doesnt it not drinking. Let the days keep rolling for you both.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well done HP and TJ!

Dotty, with the weather you've been having, you have every reason to be in a bad mood.

Did thomeone thell you thea thells on the thea thore Jane? Your holiday sounds wonderful - enjoy the rest of it! And 3J yours sounds pure bliss - but it's nice to have you back here!

Poppy, isn't it amazing how the world seems to open up and become better when you're AF?

Mind, Roller, Roxy and TF - won't it be wonderful when the four of you celebrate together in 30 days' time. The first few days can be rough, but stick close and shout if you need more butt velcro.

LB, LC, Ava, NoS, Marylou and everybody else - have a lovely rest of today - I'm off to bed.
      14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Brand new

Hello there,

I am new to this site and new to anything like this really. Essentially I want to change, and I need help. I need people to talk to, to encourage me, to understand. A little bit about myself. I am a professional woman, mother of 3, second marriage. I have wonderful parents and a sister whom I adore. My faith is Christian, and this is an important part of my life. Alcoholism does run in my family on my mom's side. My grandfather, aunt and two uncles have dealt with it. My mom, who is an amazing woman, is similar to me in that we crave alcohol every night around 5. Then have one drink and another with dinner. Usually wine, sometimes vodka with pellegrino. I started this habit about 7 years ago when I was at the end of a bad marriage. My ex was verbally abusive and threatening and so I would use the above method to calm my nerves around him, put a smile on and fake it. This was followed by a horrible divorce while in my medical residency working 80+ hours a week. I am since remarried to a good man and we have a child together. As a result of the physical and emotional stress and my method of dealing with it, I now have been diagnosed with both hypothyroid and adrenal fatigue. I feel tired and depressed and use stimulants to get me through the day (coffee and nicotine gum), and then alcohol to have that extra boost of energy and good feeling to get me through the evening as mom and wife. This isn't who I want to be and my health is suffering as the adrenal fatigue gets worse and I feel worse. I can't really talk with my husband, mom or step dad as they tell me it's fine, and a little alcohol is healthy, and we live stressful lives so we need it or something like that. I sense and know in my heart that this has become an unhealthy habit for me and I want to change it.

I would rather not take meds though and prefer to take only the herbs. Does anyone else have experience with this?

Thank you!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome taylor

Do the doctors treating you know? I know you said you'd prefer herbal treatment but sometimes there isn't a choice if you want to get the monkey off your back.
          Then again, sometimes you don't need any drugs, herbal or otherwise.

Sorry, not much help am I. :welcome:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi taylor. Welcome, I'm sure you'll find lots of great feedback here in the nest. I am so glad you found us. I think the first step to recovery of any kind is to recognize the problem, the next is to find and act on the solution, right? Are you on meds for your hypothyroidism and adrenal fatigue? I hope so.

If you can try this one day at a time it will seem less daunting. Try day one without AL, waking up totally clean can be a mood changer in itself. Overcoming unhealthy habits and beginning new healthier habits will also help you to feel less depressed I'm sure.

Keep posting, and stick close, we are here to help!
            Newbies Nest
            Toolbox
            My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all
              Well, I blew it after 34 days. On Friday, after a really tough day at work, I cracked and had a drink. I didn't drink a lot, I didn't get drunk, but I had a drink. Spent the rest of the weekend soul searching and feeling really low because I had let myself down. It's weird, but I had the same sort of guilt trip I would normally have the morning after a real session. I feel almost a bit ashamed coming back here and owning up, but then I guess that is one reason why this forum is so helpful.
              Anyway, on the positive side it wasn't like previous times I've fallen off the wagon in style, and it's still the longest I've gone AF. I intend to treat it as a minor setback instead of a failed attempt, and continue on my quest. Am pleased to see everyone else is doing OK.
              I can beat this.
              Today is the day I start.
              1st September 2015.

Comment

Newbies Nest

HP and TJ! Around here, 30 days AF scores you a prize!! Hats off to you!
                :goodtime:

A 30 day hat is something very special. It marks a span of time that we never thought we could accomplish. 30 days is enough time that we can see what good things can come of an AF life, yet the reality of the hell on Earth is close enough to not want to return to it. Thank you for being here with us, if you have a few words as to how you did it, we are all eyes! GREAT JOB!!

Taylor, welcome aboard! I managed to have a 25 year love affair with the bottle, so take heart if an old hag like me can get sober, I'm sure you can, too! Please take a trip to the Tool Box (link below) for helpful tips and suggestions thru the first challenging days. Read all you can here, and post often. So many times just getting it out of your head and onto paper (so to speak) can help you see things more clearly. I didn't use any supplements, but many find the kuzdo and L Glutamine very helpful to fight cravings. My best advice is get all the AL out of your space, and keep your tummy FULL! Stay hydrated (with water!) and glue yourself to this site! There are 7 years of history here to draw upon. Whatever the situation, most likely we seen/heard/done it!! We are so glad you are here, as you can see, we have lots of success!
                Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cross Post, Fat Fella...
                  ALK is a bitch, that's all there is to it. As you can see, the wonderful things your ALK brain had built up about taking that drink fell pretty flat. Euporic Recall! It ain't all that great when you get down to it. I hope you will get right back up in the nest and begin again. Remember, you felt so good because you weren't drinking. We believe in you, so let's get started again and put this in the rear view mirror. Try and pinpoint why you chose to drink, and shore up your plan to avoid it again. Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cheers B!
                    I can beat this.
                    Today is the day I start.
                    1st September 2015.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Hello & welcome to the newest newbies
                      You've landed in a safe place so please settle in & make yourselves comfortable.

Fat fella, lesson learned, right?
                      Tell us what you plan to do the next time AL pops into the picture!

HP & TJ, CONGRATS on 30 AF days :wd:

I'm preparing for tomorrow's storm which sounds like it's going to be more of an ice event than a snow storm - swell
                      If I lose power, I'll be thinking of all of you & will be back when possible

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

It's nice to have some people at the same stage of this as me, and I do think its a good idea to be accountable to each other, roller. also its lovely the amount of support everyone gives here, especially as I'm not going to tell anyone about my decision, at least until I've got some time under my belt. I feel like everyone will just be like 'oh yeah, we'll see how long this lasts'
                        Hope everyone has a nice evening!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lab we r having snow now then ice then more snow ....what a mess!
                          Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi mind, welcome! I was exactly the same way not wanting to tell anyone for fear they just would think it was another futile attempt to stop. I still haven't really talked about it out in the open with my family but I'm sure they notice and I would never be able to tell any of my friends. So it is very important to me to be able to discuss it openly here. I also really like to post my days on the newbie roll call in the morning, I feel like it keeps me accountable for the day.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi nesters! Good evening. I hope you all are good, just stopping by to say hi. I am doing well. Take care!
                              AF since 10/20/2013
                              Smoke free since 09/24/2007
                              Meat free since 09/20/2008
                              ---------------------------------------
                              With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Newbies Nest

Taylor:welcome: I personally don't think anything that causes you to feel bad is a good thing.
                                Congratulations HP and TJ. :wave: 30 days is wonderful.
                                Fat Fella don't give up abd run away. You will never win that way. Keep in there fighting. You will find that switch as long as you keep looking.
                                Have a good night all.
                                No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X