No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geez, I'm so busy being busy that I missed a bb birthday yesterday!

Roadside!
    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

A baby on caffeine, OMG...hang in there Kensho! You catching a buzz won't slow her down any faster, so I hope you're at least able to enjoy the ride until she settles down, but do I ever feel for you! I hope by now she's worn out and you are able to quietly relax and destress, maybe with a nice herbal tea? Perhaps you're even sleeping...I'll hope for that.

Take care all, and welcome BeachG and anyone else who's newly nesting. Have a safe and sober Friday, all!
      Gratefully AF and NF since March 23, 2014

Comment

OK. A cup of tea. Kids are in bed (will it last?). I finally have a quiet room. Best time of day for me - 9pm!

Gosh, I feel silly with my "huge" problems, while others (ahem, Matt) are out saving folks and seeing them suffer. It's so easy to think my life is hard, when I have it really good. I can't imagine what you've been through and seen Matt, Lav. It's not something I could handle and I'm so appreciative that people do what you do! Sending support by the bucketful...

Whatever the stress, for each of us alcohol was an escape, until it wasn't. Life does feel pretty raw without it at first, but I wouldn't want to give up the fact that I'm living REAL life now. Something I'm so proud of.

BG, you learn what to do as you go - don't let the fear of feeling hold you back, and take one hurdle at a time. You learn to take deep breaths, and sleep when you are tired (!!), eat when hungry, cry when sad, and discuss hard things with others. I actually have a lot of discussions with myself now too - and I actually listen LOL!

I enjoyed reading here tonight, and I needed it. I feel connected with you folks, and it makes me feel heard and understood and supported. Thanks.
        Last edited by KENSHO; October 30, 2014, 10:42 PM.
        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi, Everyone--

Well I missed posting yesterday - was busy watching baseball and then SOBERLY celebrating a World Series win for my Giants. Post-season baseball without beer? Impossible? No farking way. Actually so much better, as I remember the games, and hung out in great shape with my kids. Put that on my list of "firsts" without alcohol. Whoot.

Matt - I can't imagine what you must see in that job, or you nurses. I know you're a man who is hard, but I have to second G's rec for counseling. We can only do SO much over the wires. If you really, really can't take it, put on LOUD music (my fave for a while back in the day was Rude by Helmet - just listening tonight to find it for you was a great trip down memory lane. I used to listen to it on my commute after a bad day).

Yesterday I had a bad personnel situation at work, two students arrested, 5 meetings over 7 hours, and I drank too much coffee. I was headed to be with some friends to watch the baseball game, and I was so crazy/jittery/ amped up (Kensho - maybe like your daughter?). I thought to myself how quickly and easily one shot of whiskey would calm me down. That's the dang thing about alcohol - it is good and quick at what it does. Of course, all the pain is what comes next - it is good an quick at doing that, too. Thankfully, I got some good hugs from my friends, and then I just yelled like hell at the game (endorphins, YES, LB), and I was ok again. That's the thing - there actually ARE other ways to settle down, relax, forget, please your brain. I am finding here that those other things are becoming habit just like alcohol was.

Anyway - El and Byrdie - sorry about those families. Mine is basically crazy in the good fun way, but that realization that I couldn't control people, only my reaction to them, was key to helping me grow up this last couple of years.

It looks like the little rain we will have in October might be on Halloween. I am ok with that - I'll stay home and eat all of my candy! I am looking forward to a weekend off - no plans! - the first in a long time.

Glad you're ok, G - onya for checking in here when you needed to (is that the correct usage - trying out some new MWO words from time to time).

I'm toddling off to bed. G'night.

Pav

Comment

And one more thing--

CONGRATULATIONS, NARILLY! Amazing stuff - great big number! You rock. xo

Comment

Hi everyone....just popping in to get my life back! It's been a while.....
              IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
              Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Good morning Nesters from the 'certified bad ass', LOL thanks Matt

Daisy, welcome as always! I will get the fresh butt Velcro out for you - you know it works
                How about making a new plan?

Pav & Kensho - we really are stronger than we think & thank goodness for that!!!!
                Turns out there is absolutely noting to fear giving up AL. It's always the best choice for us

Looking back on my life I wish I had reached out for some professional help in dealing with my super stressful life. I was too stubborn & proud to do so. I waited until I retired then promptly fell apart & began drinking to cover up the emotional stuff. I was (I thought) just too tired & beat up to do anything else. I knew it was the wrong thing to do but I did it anyway. Yep, there was a lot of stress related depression going on there too.
                I remain grateful for my quit & will do anything to keep it protected. Looking forward to celebrating 6 years AF in just a few months!

Have a great AF Friday & happy Halloween everyone!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Happy Hallowen all. And Happy Birthdays Roadside and Byrdie!!

:welldone: :sohappy::thumbsup:
                  “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

Good Morning, Nesters!
                    Kensho, no truer words than yours and Pav's....AL is VERY good at what it does! It is a quick and easy escape valve (better than Calgon!) It is interesting to note that when we all came here, broken in mind, spirit and body, we sure didn't put much value on ourselves. AL takes that all away from us. It takes over our lives until the only thing we DO value is getting our next fix. BREAKING that cycle is hard, but we are all (every single one of us) living proof that it can be done. With each AF day, we learn to appreciate ourselves and who we are a little bit more. At nearly 4 years now, I look at life as a precious gift. To protect it, I must protect my quit. I value who I am now and my opinion does matter, I didn't feel that way when I drank. I assumed nobody cared....I certainly didn't. The more distance you put between YOU and AL the more clearly you will see that YOU are important and valuable! Everyone wants to feel validated, and believe me, nobody's opinion is more important in this matter than our own! Yes, learning to love ourselves is part of the journey! Accepting yourself, warts and all! It's a good place to be!
                    Happy Halloween, everyone! Your Ghoulfriend, Byrdie

Edit to add: Thank you for the birthday wishes!!!!
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Great post Byrdy.

Goodnight everyone from downunder. G

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

I know I don't post much on this thread but I read it daily and it has become a source of all things AF for me. You all in some way have helped me reach six months AF. Thank you for being here, for your honesty and your perseverence on this AF journey. Here's to all of us! :victorious:

Comment

Mornin 'folks! Making my way through the morning. My shirt may be on backwards and my eyes have big bags - but I'm alive and here and loving' life! I don't know how I used to do this drunk/hungover! At least I can fully appreciate the exhaustion and complete my presentations with only the fog of sleep deprivation. Can't wait to hit the pillow tonight!

Have a spoky sober day everyone!
                          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Ginger – Congrats on 6 months!!

Matt- Thanks for doing what you do for the people of your city..I’m sure you have seen a ton. And we always appreciate (well most of us I think) the smart ass nature you bring to these boards. It helps us get through as well

J-vo- Appreciate your story yesterday as well…may we never pass out anywhere ever again (unless we are really tired I guess)

Great advice last night MossRose

Kensho- for some reason I just checked my shirt to make sure I had it on right

Hope everyone is ready for a great and AF weekend and happy trick or treating for those celebrating Halloween. :witch:
                            Last edited by See the Light; October 31, 2014, 12:45 PM.
                            “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

Congratulations Ginger!!! 6 months is awesome!!! That's not something you see everyday around here....much like this:
                              :llama:

Keep it going, dear lady!!! Well done!! B
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Have a happy, safe and AF night alll!

(don't be this poor guy..kinda looks like me last year!!) :happy2:

pumpkin.jpg

pumpkin2.jpg

STL

Comment

Working...
                                X