No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quick check in from a water logged, and battered North Texas. I'm thinking of building an ark. Been super busy this weekend, memorial weekend is a big party weekend. Early this morning I had the displeasure of chalking up another young life taken and another life ruined, the results of drinking and driving..Sad and unfortunate.
    I vow to protect my quit till the day I die.
    For right now the thought of a drink could not be further from my mind. A thought that was unimaginable not long ago. That is a beautiful thing.
    If your struggling with "quitting" or staying quit, we get it...
    My entire life, marriage, relationships, my career, finances , health have all changed and transformed into a life I never imagined and one I wished I would have started long ago..

And that's all I have to say about that.

Stay Hard my friends and remember the ones that gave the ultimate sacrifice to protect our homeland!
    AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

20150524_210554.jpg
      AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Hi Nesters!!

What a 24 hour of roller coaster emotions. Let me start by saying that after I came home last night (after the pity party, eating alone in a grocery store), I checked in here and realized I received a PM from one of you all. Well, turns out this lovely person lives in my state, a couple of hours away, but was VERY nearby visiting her mother, so one thing led to another, and we met and spent an amazing afternoon together on the beach! Yes, I actually got to spend time with a bird from the nest!!! It was amazing. I won't say who, in case she wants to keep it that way. What a great person.

While with this nester, I got a text from someone I met on Match.com, and spoke with once on the phone (what the heck has become of my life???) and I was asked on a date.....YIKES. So, I went on my first date in 20 years tonight. Soooo strange. In my opinion, the date kinda sucked, although he seems to have had a great time, and wants to go for a second. He is quite attractive, to say the least, so my ego enjoyed that he was interested. However, he is a drink beer, watch sports, go hunting and kill deer (BAMBI) kind a guy...not my kind. Also, we met at 6 at a place that was essentially a bar, and he told me the food was pretty bad, so I had a club soda while he sucked down 3 beers. Came home around 9 or so, starving. Doesn't sound like a great date, huh? BUT, I DID NOT DRINK.

Since being home, had a long, hard, cry....but again. As I said, a very busy 24 hours of emotions. Ready for bed, big time.

life....wow... a little much right now.

Night all.

Comment

hanna, Isn't it amazing how one small thing can lead to other small things and change the whole landscape? I'm glad you had fun meeting up with your fellow Nest bud. I'm in Florida on the gulf side for a few days. Loving the sunshine and clear blue water. Wishing you a good day tomorrow. J
          AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Morning, Nesters!
            Matt, I hate to hear that AL claimed another life. It is scary how it takes its victims. I am so glad to hear that your desire for AL is at a new low. This is our dream as Alkies....to lose the desire to drink! It takes a while to get there, but once that immunity is built up, there is nothing like it.

Mary Lou, what a wonderful post! If you can find a support group for the overuse of punctuation, count me in!!!!!! Mine is exclamation point redundancy, sorry to hear of your affliction with parentheses (it didn't seem too bad to me!!!)

Hope everyone has a peaceful day. My quest for the day is to find a tender rack o ribs! Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by jane27 View Post
              hanna, Isn't it amazing how one small thing can lead to other small things and change the whole landscape? I'm glad you had fun meeting up with your fellow Nest bud. I'm in Florida on the gulf side for a few days. Loving the sunshine and clear blue water. Wishing you a good day tomorrow. J
              It really is! Since quitting AL 25 days ago, I have had some of the most amazing things happen. I won't bore you all with the details, but they have literally been the "luckiest" weeks of my life.

LostAndFound

Comment

Happy Monday all! I am grateful for this memorial day, in more ways than one.

Hannah that's a pretty intense 24 hours. Myself being the classic introvert that kind of experience would drain me for the weekend. That's cool you met someone from the nest, I think it would be great to meet one of you all in person, I promise I am not an axe murderer or anything, but who knows

Mary thanks for the kind words. I might take you up on the solo dinner idea. I haven't been out alone in a long time, but perhaps a lunch to actually sit and enjoy my own company would be nice.

So Saturday my wife had very heavy bleeding and passed several blood clots. We called the 24 hr nurse hotlines, and went to the ER on their recommendation to make sure everything was alright. She ended up being fine and the doctors were guessing it was a small infection, gave us some antibiotics and sent us on our way. Simultaneously my dad went back in the hospital for some kind of horrible burning pain he thought was a ulcer but the doctor wasn't sure. I write all this not for another pity party, I have enjoyed enough of that recently. I write it because life goes on, I am already in the next mess of worries and there isn't a darn thing to do but keep moving forward. I thought I was greatly before, but after my wife showed me her entire underwear soaked in blood, I am waaaaaaaaaaaay more grateful that she is around. I mean we can have another kid, but just imagining trying to explain to our 2 year old her mother passing away makes me sick to my stomach. The things you think about in the ER haha

Watched Black and White with the wife till 2am last night, another good sign for me because I didn't feel the horrible achy sadness that made me want to just sleep. It is a great AF movie, reviews said it wasn't dramatic enough but I enjoyed it, and Kevin Costner is just fucking up left and right as an alcoholic, so that was probably enough drama for me. Hope you all have a happy Monday!

Comment

Hi all. I'm new to posting here, but have read the forum a few times over the past couple of years. I've been trying to quit for essentially as long as I've been drinking - 15 years. I never should have started because both parents are alcoholics and I knew better. But alas, here I am. I am 35 married to a wonderful man but afraid to lose him because of this insanity. Two amazing kiddos who are the world to me. And yet, I drink. Why?! I've always had depression even as a kid, so I know it's the escape. But it's no escape at all. A trap. I quit for three months last fall and could just kill myself that I didn't stay that way. Going to give it another go. Why does this have to be so hard?

Comment

Welcome, Sweetie! We are so happy you have joined us! If you are like most of us, the FEAR of quitting is what has held us back for so long....how can we go on without AL? I'm here to tell you, it is the best decision I have made, and I wish I had done it when I was in my 30's. Around here, we take it one day at a time...15 minutes at a time, if need be. Try not to look too far in the future so you dont get overwhelmed. All you gotta do is get thru this day! Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi, Sweetie

It sounds like you've already learned the hard lesson that a quit is worth protecting. That knowledge gives you power. You also have the power over alcohol. As long as you don't take that first drink, it can't hurt you. You've come to a great place to find the tools and support you need to figure out how to wield that power - to not give in because of habit, frustration, boredom, hunger, or whatever is your trigger to drink. Have you made a plan for what to do instead of drinking?

You will never regret making this change. Please ask questions and let us know how we can help.

Welcome! NS

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

WOW, I survived another 12 hour marathon watching my grandsons, plus the 4 dogs, 1 grumpy cat & 24 hens. I am exhausted!!!!!!!!

Hello & welcome Sweetie, glad you decided to join us
                        I won't kid you, quitting is hard BUT it's something you'll never regret, promise!

Matt, I keep seeing pictures of the floods - geez, how awful!
                        Always sad to hear about young people dying, drinking & driving. My nephew did that 12 years ago. He was 18 & had just graduated from high school. His dad, my brother-in-law never got over it & ended his own life 6 months ago. The sadness goes on for the entire family. I just wish people would finally get the message.

Dutch, glad to hear your wife is OK & you too. These tough times can make us or break us. We should always choose to strengthen our bonds when the going gets rough.

Marylou, great to see you doing so well.

My brain is no longer working so I'll say good night & wish everyone safety on the nest :hug:

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hello. And welcome Sweetie-

Just so glad the long weekend is over. And that I am still sober. Day 10 tomorrow. I continue to deal with a roller coaster of emotions...mostly just heartbroken. Weekends are especially hard. I just have to keep plodding forward until life gets better. Gonna be awhile (sigh). I am trying to feel positive about the fact that I am not drinking, and I keep telling myself that if I can quit under this much stress, I will be so much stronger for it when I get past this difficult time in my life.

Well, going to bed, and with a little luck, to sleep. Night all.

Comment

Hanna,

Wishing you a light and breezy day 10! xo

AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Hi, All:

A wonderful and busy day with my family and friends. I do love a good day off.

Hanna - YES! If you can do this, you can do anything. Deep your focus. You really, really do have this.

Welcome, Sweetie. You found a great place to get support to stay sober.

Hope you and your family are ok, Matt. Your job must be crushing sometimes.

I have to go to bed - early morning.

Pav

Comment

Good morning Nesters,

It's Tuesday, right? These long weekends can be confusing to my old bird brain - ha ha!!
                                Looks like it's our turn to deal with heat, humidity & T storms today, oh well.

Hanna, great on your 10 AF days! You absolutely will get through all these changes in your life feeling stronger & wiser! It is absolutely empowering to take back control of your life

Wishing everyone a good AF day!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X