No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oooh - something new to explore - Newbies Nest Day count. I'm off to check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
      Good Friday Morning, all!
      Over-it. . If there are only 2 stores in your town that sell liquor and every store on Earth sells Diet Coke, may I ask why you chose that store to make your purchase? I'm not trying to pick on you...I am trying to point out some behaviors that derail us and we don't even realize it. Jane so aptly pointed out, it is a fine line here...when I would come back on Day 1, I didn't want a pass, but I didn't want to be chastised, either. We're all adults here. BUT, I needed to LEARN how to do this. And someone saying, "There, there....it'll be ok" wasn't cutting it with me....it was too easy to get a free pass. I didn't need enabling, I needed TOOLS. Staying sober is a SKILL that can be learned. We just need the tools and learn how to use them. Staying out of temptation really works for me.
      Byrdie
      Byrdie, love love love you! I was saying there are ONLY 2 STORES IN TOWN, that's it, and they both sell hard liquor and beer. I don't have much of a choice as to where to go, that's why I was there. I also do not want a pass, I'm not a child, I'm an adult and need to be treated as one. What I am doing is ALWAYS A CHOICE. I have chosen badly in the past. I'm hoping to overcome that.

Now, that being said, before anyone jumps on me......I know that others have real physical addictions to alcohol. I understand that. For me, that is not the issue, it's strictly in my brain. So, choosing not to have a drink is just that, a choice. The only way not having a drink affects me is in a positive way.

Now, I got a workout in for the 2nd day in a row! Day 4 here. Free of any booze in my system, right Byrd? I know I will not drink today as I've taken my AB for 4 days now, couldn't risk the side affects of that. Also, I have a softball game tonight (I won't drink in public because I can't be sure of my behavior if I over do it) and then a volunteer clean up at our community theatre tonight after a movie. I love NA events!

Have a great day everyone!
      The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Originally posted by Overit-still View Post
        Byrdie, love love love you! I was saying there are ONLY 2 STORES IN TOWN, that's it, and they both sell hard liquor and beer. I don't have much of a choice as to where to go, that's why I was there.
        OOOOO, I'm sorry, I totally misread that. May I borrow your bag? xo
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

YOU'RE THE BEST BYRDIE! :hug:

Comment

Just checking in.
            Friday night on this side of the pond. Hubby had a glass of red wine at dinner. That was testing, but its his friday night too (he has given up mid week drinking in support).

Feeling mostly strong (bit of poor me creeping into my head, but Im ignorning it). Went for a run. Bought buckets of soft drinks at the supermarket today (giving a subtle 2 fingers to the wine aisle) so my bags were just as heavy, but without the clink-clink, party for one, sound.
            I'll be up before the kids tomorrow and my head will NOT hurt.
            Really appreciate this site. What all of you have achieved is incrediable!
            AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Originally posted by IamMary View Post
              Just checking in.
              I'll be up before the kids tomorrow and my head will NOT hurt.
              Really appreciate this site. What all of you have achieved is incrediable!
              Iam-I have a house to clean tomorrow AM and I'm so excited that I can get up and be there by 6AM. Even if it takes me 6 hours I still have the rest of my day! Good job tonight!

Comment

Byrd -Overit ----Im not going to lie, that made me laugh out loud.......
                carry on......
                AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I just have to say that I think I am lucky because you still can't buy wine or beer in grocery stores around here. If the politicians have their way that may all change soon though. For now if you want to buy wine you have to go to the state run liquor stores & beer from beer stores. Practically every shopping center that has a supermarket also has a liquor store of course.

Making choices - especially the right choice for you seems like work but you've gotta keep your eye on the prize. Just give yourself a chance to experience life AF, happier & healthier without guilt & remorse

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Enjoying my Friday evening without even the slightest urge to drink tonight. I might even stay up late since I can sleep in tomorrow if I want. That never happens if I'm drinking. I'm usually passed out pretty early!

Looking forward to taking advantage of all the hours available to me this weekend. I'm going to fill them with all the things I enjoy doing, and that does not include drinking! Hope everyone else has great plans, too!
                    You had the power all along, my dear.

Comment

Thought I'd give you all a peek forward. In time, It gets easy to be around alcohol. After all you can't avoid it...it is everywhere, but fortunately our bodies are wonderful at healing and the memory of that high fades. I can walk in to a liquor store and not want to but every bottle in the place and do from time to time. Reminds me when I was younger and I worked with a recovering alcoholic who liked to hang out in bars. I asked him how he could manage that and he simply said, " easy I don't drink". Never understood that until now. I know I can't let my guard down ( Robin Williams tells a story of falling of the wagon after decades sober as only he can) but honestly it does get much easier. I guess my message isn't to tell you to hang out in bars after a few years of sobriety but rather that the struggle really does get easier. You don't have to worry that you'll feel the way you do now for the rest of your life. Keep at it my friends.
                      Last edited by TJAF; July 24, 2015, 10:15 PM.
                      Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

TJAF I still think about your post about today and tomorrow being joined at the hip. It really spoke to me. As I go through my days I think about how what I'm doing will affect the way I feel tomorrow. Unhung with no regrets.
                        No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Today I am proud. Of all of you in the nest.
                          Really proud of you Dutch, for coming here, laying it out on the line, then taking all the punches without getting defensive. The strength you showed has to come from within, backed by 4.5 months of sobriety. I think you are on your way. You're learning how to conquer this beast. Keep it up
                          Also proud of so many to step up, Jane, TJAF, g-man, Lilbit, Ava, Byrd. (sure I'm forgetting someone), The responses were right on.
                          So Proud of Ava, 600 days, and such a strong member here. I remember when you were a mess, like me still.
                          Yeah Kailey! This should be 7 days right? Where's the moon Byrdie.
                          Like Matt, did I just see a few feathers fly between Byrdie and Over-it? LOL! Love you both!

Comment

I have been to this place before. I remember I used to dread coming here. This place uses to give me a jolt everytime. I used to make me realize I have a problem: Al. But I always refused to accept it. Used to stop for few days and then move on.

I have heard so much about "you should do this, should not so this". This is the place where I promised myself everytime I came here: I will reduce drinking.

This place is the Clinic where I come once in a year for annual health checkup!!

Confident one year plus sober. I sit outside the ultrasound section. "Oh your lever is massively enlarged, how much you drink! ", "fatty lever". Today however... I am confident.

Another advantage being sober: Health!
                            Rahul
                            --------------------------------------------
                            Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                            Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                            Rebooting ... done ...
                            Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Ava, I thinking of you on what must now be your day 601! You inspire me every day! xo Jane
                              ps Lousy day today got in the way of timely delivery of your day 600, personalized milestone tribute...don't want you to think you're off the hook for that one. Stay posted. :love:
                              AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Hi, All:

Ava - WHOOT on 600 days. I'll celebrate tomorrow. I love your speech, too. I remember that holiday you took with your mom - I was so impressed.

Overit - I think that most of us weren't actually physically addicted to alcohol - the physical addiction is what gives you tremors and seizures when you quit. But I would argue that it still is not just a matter of choice and will power. Alcohol re-wires your brain to feel like it wants or needs alcohol in a way that is different from your deciding to stay on the couch instead of going to the gym. I say this because I believe - from experience and reading - that it is not as simple as just not drinking. That's why people talk about having a plan, take antabuse to let their brains heal, etc. It takes effort to set up situations in which the alcoholic part of your brain does not take control. And also, that minimizes the effort and work it takes to actually get sober. It is an active process. Anyway - I can only speak from my own experience, but it feels sort of like you're blaming yourself or selling yourself short. This is HARD, and sometimes the rational part of you isn't in control.

Good to see you pop in, Rahul.

Nora and Pauly - I hemmed and hawed and lurked here for a while before I even had the guts to sign on. It took me a long time to admit that I needed help, and even then, the first time I joined I knew in the back of my mind that I was here to quit for 90 days after which I would gracefully bow out and become a successful moderator - after all, I was DIFFERENT. Hah. Anyway - keep working at it - it will stick.

Off to bed - good night, nest.

Pav

Comment

Working...
                                X