Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good morning,

STL, I'm glad you're back and hope you're feeling better. That's scary stuff. I know I've felt the dull ache where my liver is located and I got scared, but for some reason, I kept going. Why? Because al is addictive, both physically and mentally. But ultimately, that's why I came back. Because i was scared of the damage, and it would only get worse. I've seen it. I've seen people with cirrhosis of the liver and it aint pretty.

So I've been at this for about 8 years. The roller coaster ride. I love roller coasters but not this one. Relapsing after a long period of sobriety happens. And I have to say that I believe if one is involved in a program, whether it is AA, MWO, or any others out there, it happens less. Our program needs to be a part of our daily lives. I look at the long-timers here, and what do they do? They post and read, and serve others daily. They never forget where they were and why they want to keep this freedom. Like NS says, if we don't continue in our program and just believe we are healed, the reasons for being sober become a distant memory. Our sobriety takes a backseat. We need to be in the driver's seat and sobriety needs to be close to us in the passenger's seat, if not right in our laps.

Have a great day.
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Hi everyone! And thanks so much for the kudos. I have to say that being booze free for 90 days is the most awesome reward ever. I will post more later but am posting from my phone and am "of that age" where eyesight is a problem! Thanks so much for all your support.
      :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Snow on the ground this morning! I decided to sleep last night instead of burn the oil, and I feel so rested - I think I can be twice as productive! I'm really liking this "take care of self" thing I am learning that I DO have limits, and that taking care of me is the best way to be the most productive (not try to work every minute of the day) - AND feel happier.

DUTCH, want to chime in on AD's. Much like LAVB's experience, I was on AD for four years at the end of high school. While they didn't cure me, they may have offered me a better platform in which to talk through my issues. It was me that made the changes and got through how I was feeling, but the AD's may have helped me a little bit out of the depths in order to be functional enough to "deal".

Keep up the good work everyone. Just for today, DON'T drink, even if you feel like it. As Cowboy says, the average craving lasts 7 minutes. Eating something does WONDERS for me - we all have something that can get us through the hardest part of a craving. Just focus on today - and get through this one!

Hugs to all!
        Last edited by KENSHO; November 11, 2015, 10:07 AM.
        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Originally posted by j-vo View Post
          Good morning,

STL, I'm glad you're back and hope you're feeling better. That's scary stuff. I know I've felt the dull ache where my liver is located and I got scared, but for some reason, I kept going. Why? Because al is addictive, both physically and mentally. But ultimately, that's why I came back. Because i was scared of the damage, and it would only get worse. I've seen it. I've seen people with cirrhosis of the liver and it aint pretty.

So I've been at this for about 8 years. The roller coaster ride. I love roller coasters but not this one. Relapsing after a long period of sobriety happens. And I have to say that I believe if one is involved in a program, whether it is AA, MWO, or any others out there, it happens less. Our program needs to be a part of our daily lives. I look at the long-timers here, and what do they do? They post and read, and serve others daily. They never forget where they were and why they want to keep this freedom. Like NS says, if we don't continue in our program and just believe we are healed, the reasons for being sober become a distant memory. Our sobriety takes a backseat. We need to be in the driver's seat and sobriety needs to be close to us in the passenger's seat, if not right in our laps.

Have a great day.
          Well said my rock bottom is still to this day my motivation
          Glad to be back with my second family :sohappy:
          Last dance with the devil 5/02/11

Comment

Originally posted by Nelso View Post
            Well said my rock bottom is still to this day my motivation
            So glad to see you're still going strong, Nelz.
            The thing is --- I didn't have a rock bottom or an extremely embarrassing episode to recall for motivation. I had a life that was slowly but surely losing all meaning but that is a hard concept to hold on to and with time, I can no longer truly feel how bad it was. Intellectually, though, I know it was. And when I come here and see people struggling, and especially when I try to help them, I help myself keep this hard-won and cherished freedom.

Comment

Remembrance Day, Veteran's Day, Armistice Day

No matter what we call today, it is a day to reflect and be thankful for the sacrifices of those who fought to protect us. Many still do today around the world.

To me, November 11th has more meaning than Thanksgiving. I appreciate the freedom we enjoy, thanks to those who served and are serving still.

My Dad and my father-in-law both put their lives on hold and served 5 years in the Royal Canadian Air Force in WW ll. Oddly, neither of them talked about their experiences.

Sadly, many veterans still suffer from illnesses like post traumatic stress. And alcoholism. And drug abuse.

Most of us on MWO struggle every day with our disease. And thanks to the support we receive, and give, we are making a difference in our lives and the lives of others. For that, I am thankful.

November 11, 2015 Lest We Forget
              AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
              F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

I have craved alcohol since noon today. Probably because I didn't eat lunch! It's so strange to tell the part of your brain that gives you survival information "you're wrong". Dinner ahead - non-AL drink in hand and other distractions in process. Just amazing it can come on so strong, when my head is in the right place nonetheless!

Happy Veteran's Day to any of you who have served, and to those with close ties to those who have. I think it is such a sacrifice to put your life on the line and experience combat. Thank you!
                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hey all, wow I missed a couple of days and it seems like quite a bit of activity.
                  All is well on my end, just busy with work and kids.
                  I had a alcohol dream last night, I haven't had one in a while. This dream was freakishly realistic and ended with me waking up in a panic.
                  I found myself at a restaurant with people I did not know. The restaurant happen to be sampling a new crafted microbrew. A glass was in front of me I struggled but eventually succumb to drinking the beer. I drank half and began to struggle with the notion of having to "start over" and maybe since I only drank half, I would keep this to myself and not share it, and how embarrassing this would be.
                  Then my alarm woke me up, for once I was very excited to wake up to my 0500 alarm to go to work.
                  Although uncomfortable I believe these dreams are a sort of divine reminder. I'm glad I felt horrible regret in my dream, I never want to go back to that place, because I now know life like I never knew ,goes on without Alcohol, and it is a truly amazing feeling.

Great to see so many new people checking in..

See the light- Glad you're back, I was thinking about you the other day.

Dutch- Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I highly recommend meeting with a Therapist.

Kensho- Hang in there, and keep on keeping on....

Ava-Linda thinking about you and your family

And to all the usual suspects and anyone I missed Stay Hard!
                  AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Looks like it was quite a busy day here today - Veterans day! Thank you to all who have served.
                    Unfortunately I have a brother, a Vietnam vet who struggles with depression & alcoholism & he just won't quit. He gets very angry if anyone tries to interfere. I can only hope & pray he changes his mind.

Matt, those dreams do serve to reinforce our commitment I think. Yes, they are annoying but good reminders.

Congrats to star on 90 AF days, yay
                    Congrats to everyone for another AF day!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
                    I'm up & out very esrly tomorrow morning to spend the day with my granddaughter. How awesome is that?

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi, All:

Matt - my drinking dreams always involve that bargain, too. Do I really HAVE to go to MWO and tell the truth? I always am reminded of the power of a sober community in those instances. Hope you're well otherwise.

Kensho - I misread your post at first and read that you had been drinking since noon today. SO relieved that my shoddy eyesight got it wrong. I HATE those moments - but they do get shorter and farther apart for me, the longer I have without the grog. Good on you for knowing how to wait it out.

I was very down today, and not for any particular reason - just the blues. Used to be an excuse to drink just so I could avoid the feelings. Instead I went for a walk and had a cry. I'm still out of sorts a bit, but heading to bed, and the good thing is that I know this feeling will end - and a lot more quickly now that alcohol isn't involved.

So I'm heading to bed. Hope you are all tucked in safely. If you're feeling antsy, grab Byrdie or Lav's tail feathers - they won't let you fall out...

Pav

Comment

That's the thing, Pav. We know the down feelings won't last, just as the good, amazing ones are fleeting moments. But what comes in between is good, too, if we don't drink.
                        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Hey Pinecone, if you happen to pop in today, Congratulations on 4 years of sobriety today, Happy Birthday!
                          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Good morning Nesters,

Reporting in from my grandaughter's - busy day for me

Pav, when the season/weather changes so does my mood. Grateful that I have learned to wait it out. Nothing, absolutely nothing needs to be medicated with AL. Better weather & moods will be fight along

Hi there j-vo & cowboy!

Pinecone, super CONGRATS on 4 years AF :welldone:
                            It's been a pleasure to know you!!!

Wishing everyone a great AF Thursday!

Lav
                            Last edited by Lavande; November 12, 2015, 07:37 PM.
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Pinecone,

Congrats! :sohappy: If you're inclined would love to hear any tips or tricks you can share regarding your 4 year success. Any pearls of wisdom could make a difference for folks, especially when folks are struggling at times and have something they can think about to reflect on. My favorite saying from AA has been "there is no problem is so bad that alcohol can't make it worse". I think this one resonates so much with me because my drinking was more about not thinking about my problems and escaping for a while. So, when some problem comes up where I am tempted to want to do that, I reflect on that saying and it helps me get over the hump.

Have an enpowered day all.

~Addy
                              "Control your destiny or somebody else will" ~Jack Welsh~

God didn't give you the strength to get back on your feet, so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down.

But that was yesterday, and I was a different person then. ~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comment

Originally posted by All done drinking View Post
                                Pinecone,

Congrats! :sohappy: If you're inclined would love to hear any tips or tricks you can share regarding your 4 year success. Any pearls of wisdom could make a difference for folks, especially when folks are struggling at times and have something they can think about to reflect on. My favorite saying from AA has been "there is no problem so bad that alcohol can't make it worse I think this one resonates so much with me because my drinking was more about not thinking about my problems and escaping for a while. So, when some problem comes up where I am tempted to want to do that, I reflect on that saying and it helps me get over the hump.

Have an enpowered day all.

~Addy
                                I love those little catchy AA Nuggets. I may have to steal that one for my signature. It is so true, because Alcohol could Fuck Up a rock fight...
                                AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Working...
                                X