No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mary Lou, what a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. That means a lot, hearing how things unfold on this sober train. It gives me so much hope and makes my faith that much stronger. Congratulations on your big two years. :welldone:

QW, it's great to hear that a vacation such as the one you took can be done happily sober. Good for you!

So many awesome posts and anniversaries this week. This is party central! Keep on posting people!! Let's do this once and for all.
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I'm back home & relaxing in front of the fire - busy day
      Great to see so many dropping by today!

Marylou, CONGRATS ON YOUR 2 YEARS AF :welldone:
      It takes quite an effort & a good deal of time to get comfortable in our own skins again - don't you think? You have worked thru the physical & emotional aspects, now you get to relax a bit & enjoy life as it was meant to be!

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest.
      This time tomorrow night we are supposed to be dealing with a blizzard, oh well.

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Evening all,

Been busy so this is my first chance to get on here. Lav I hope it is not as bad as they say for you. We could get up to 2". Minute compared to the east coast. Congrats Mary Lou!

Everyone stay warm and keep connected to your twig buddy.
        JDG
        Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

Hi,

So happy to be here to congratulate you, Mary Lou! Congratulations and thanks for sharing that beautiful post. I agree that year two has been much more about emotional healing and finding myself. I agree with Byrdie - that belongs in the tool box.

Lav - I didn't know The Stella were Divas in addition to being brick-carrying sobriety protectors.

Hope you're out of your funk, G. I get funky, too. Getting funky is the answer for getting funky - music was a good place to go.

All you east coasters stay safe.

Pav

Comment

Way to go on 2 years MaryLou! What a wonderful post.

Comment

Hi Nesters,

Mary Lou, Congratulations on 2 years of freedom!! You so beautifully and clearly described our reality.. though all of our stories vary to some degree, I'm sure we can all relate to the emotional , mental hell and fear that accompanies/defines addiction. I was telling a close friend the other day about my addiction, as it had played a large roll in our breaking up.. he had known I was drinking a lot, but not that I was addicted and struggling to change my life. I can say now, that ALL of our problems stemmed from my emotional and mental problems that were caused by drinking.. I'm mentioning it because that's the most recent (and last!) example I have of alcohol f****** up my life. Like you said, ALL of my bad decisions were made because of drinking. I can see that now so clearly.. as I was telling him, I was very scared to put myself in such a vulnerable position, of being completely rejected, but at the same time so hopeful that he might be able to understand and confident that, regardless of whether or not he could, I'd be ok.

Wishing you all a nice Friday!

Comment

Today we are heading South to Kissimmee, FL. I am going to meet my nephew for the first time! He's 42! My other nephew, 52, is coming in also to meet him, they have never met either! It should be fun and exciting!
                I told you my family was odd!
                Stay strong everyone! Its nice to know Im not trying to beat the clock so I can start drinking!
                Hugs to all, Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Wow, I thought the Nest had disappeared but I finally found it, thank goodness!

MaryLou, your post so clearly explains where we all were and where, with time away from AL, we can be. I agree with Byrdie - that would be an excellent addition to the toolbox. It is so full of hope. Congratulations!

Each year without an active addiction seems to be better than the one before. The only caution I'd give about year #3 is that I feel so removed from where I was, it is hard for me to remember what my daily life was like or that that was really me drinking directly from the spout of a box of cheap wine in a darkened kitchen. I don't dwell on that anymore and for the most part I've forgiven myself, but I certainly don't want to forget!

I wanted to respond to more fabulous posts (I'm looking at you LC :hug:!) but think I'd better post this before the Nest disappears again! Enjoy an AF weekend, everyone!

Comment

I'm looking at you, too, NS!! (where's that winky-smiley face?)

Over-it, I hope you're feeling better today and that the AV is long gone.. These days, when I'm feeling like crap, I snuggle up with a cup of tea and my laptop and watch Netflix or hang out here or read Hip Sobriety. Don't forget to continue to take extra good care of yourself.. like you would take care of your best friend if she was sick or feeling unwell.. I've been babying myself a lot lately and it helps!

Have a fun trip, Byrdie!

will check in again later..

Comment

Hiya!! Byrdie, I have family in Kissimmee... Hello humid!! Enjoy your trip.

Lav, you win best chicken owner award - way to take care of them - sounds like you may be tunneling in the snow soon! Fresh eggs are the BEST, wish we had a source for them.

On another note, at the Dr. this am the nurse asked routine questions - including "do I drink". I said no. Then I asked, out of curiosity, how many people say "no". She said a LOT. And a lot of people say they "rarely drink". She said she was surprised at that. I was too - evidently I'm hanging out with a drinking crowd. Would be nice to find some sober friends! (in person, I mean).

The AV was in full force last weekend, but denying it has brought me to a different day, and I am so pleasantly surprised at how I stop sometimes and feel like my life is just beginning. I'm just not ashamed to open up any more. Maybe it has something to do with being 40 also - people say they finally know who they are and really don't care what others think. Not drinking though, is just making me feel like I'm taking care of myself - and that little bit o' self love makes me feel like I don't need to stay locked away from everyone. I never realized I did that so much. Not to bore everyone, but GOSH - I have been such a distant and cold partner to my husband at times. Time to let go and share it all.

Summary: good stuff begins to happen when you stop drinking.
                      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good Friday Morning,

It is getting colder by the minute here. SSDD going on in my house today. I did manage to get out and buy some food for the house. Now back in sweats, having coffee with my son and Netflix. We love us some Netflix.

AL brain is still trying to be convincing (to no avail). My relapses usually start with dreams (have had 2 in last week) about drinking and within a few days off we go. This time I promptly told my accountability partners about this and we have been standing firm in not traveling the same road AL always leads to. If you haven't made a list of your triggers or warning signs of an impending slip/relapse, I encourage you to do so and share it with a close friend or relative who is supportive of your quit. And, if you notice/recognize any of them let someone know. In the past I would know it was coming but would not tell anyone, not sure why, and it always ended the same way. If it didn't work in the past chances are it won't work now, so I changed the plan. Hope this helps someone.

Byrdie - have a wonderful and safe trip.

Good to see Pav, Mr. V, LC, NS and anyone else I missed. Lav - are you snowed in yet?

Happy AF Friday to all,
                        JDG - It is just the weekend, don't panic treat it like any other day of the week.
                        Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

A little fun for the day:

I recently ran across an article listing stars who don't drink - like Natalie Portman, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Hudson, Tobey Maguire, Colin Farrell, Eva Mendez, Robert Downey Jr., Ben Affleck, Blake Lively, Ewan McGregor, J-LO, Tyra Banks, Keith Urban (you know - the HOTTIES of hot)... So I just wanted to remind everyone out there that:

We are not alone if we choose not to drink. Have a fabulous sober day
                          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Happy Friday All,

Travelling north today. Our city is just missing the storm, so I'm grateful because I miss my son and Mr. J-vo, but I'm sad about leaving my parents. I won't see them for two months, and it creates anxiety in me. But what I know is that how I used to handle anxiety is not going to happen. I will take my anxiety and sadness, and find an outlet whether it be cry when I wanna cry into my pillow, exercise, hug whoever let's me hug them. I will not drink, because that would just make me a freaking mess of a person. Being with parents this week has made me realize how important it is to be sober. It's our responsibility to be there for our loved ones, but more importantly, we can be there fully and want to do what we can. I couldn't have done what I have for my parents had I been in the throes of my alcohol addiction. No way.

Peace, Nesters.
                            Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Awesome! JDGirl on making changes, recognizing the warning signs and doing something about it. I know that's been a big problem for me in the past.. shrugging off or ignoring "little" things that didn't seem important..Now I take a look at what's going on below the surface..
                              Where are you living, JDG? When your morning is my 720pm..

Kensho, sounding great! I'm so happy for you that you're having an easier time of it this weekend. It's true what they say about exercising the sobriety muscle, isn't it? Working, or even just getting, through a difficult situation really does make us stronger and more confident.. Your husband must be thrilled to get to know you again!

So I'm just hanging out tonight.. taking it easy after a busy week and an even busier one to come beginning Monday..
                              Wishing you all an easy and enjoyable Friday!!!

Comment

X-Post, J-vo.. I'd love to give you a big, fat hug! I can imagine how sad you must feel about leaving your parents for 2 months.. I hope you'll be able to lean on Mr. J.vo for some extra support and do what you need to to take extra good care of yourself... :hug:

Comment

Working...
                                X