Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Nesters!!

What a great post, Pav! To that buzz list, I'd add a meditation sitting.. sounds hard to believe, but when I'm disciplined to sit the time, and am able to really focus my mind, everything comes together and makes sense.. I'm looking forward to times ahead, when I'll be able to to take on change/growth without negotiating drinking. I'm NOT negotiating now, but I haven't had anything huge come up yet.. which is good 'cause I'm still a newbie!! Hope you're feeling better soon..

J-vo, you're sounding great!! Don't you love waking up after a good night's sleep? Even if it's not the best sleep, it's 1 million times better than jolting out of a drunken pass-out. I had a power nap today.. it feels so good to say, hey, I'm a bit tired, I think I'll rest for a bit.. with no guilt. Whenever you talk about the concession stand, it reminds me of my softball days.. loved it, especially in the summer when they had snow-cones! Tell me again what part of the world you're living in, near Lay..? I can't remember.

Over-it! I'm so happy to see you back in the Nest.. I would say, try to make a deal with yourself to do WHATEVER! you have to to get 30 days under your belt.. don't fight with yourself. Just swallow the pill as soon as you wake up, WITHOUT giving it a thought. If that AV voice comes up, Stomp all Over-it..tell it to shut the f*** up. After a few days it will be easier.. Write a list here to remind yourself WHY you don't want to drink any more. And a list of the ways you can imagine your life will improve.

In just 30 days, my life has improved sooooo much. I knew it would 'cause I've been here before.. but still, it was really difficult to get back on track and into the right mindset..it helped me immensely to stay in the moment each day, not to get ahead of myself. I had the 30 day goal.. but I tried not to think too much about it, or about all the crap I'd built up and would have to deal with at some point. I kept it as simple as possible.. and I checked in here every single day. I have been taking very good care of myself, have been forcing my mind to be grateful and to turn my negativity into positive thought and action. Trying very hard NOT to over-think things.. I don't want to overwhelm myself.. not yet. baby steps. I know I'm on the right track. I know I never want to go back to the life I was living. I feel like I'm finally ready to make the sacrifices I have to make to ensure success!

Ava, I'm thinking of you today.. I hope you've had a nice time with Robert..:hug: sending love your way!

Kensho, I liked the rewrite very much.. what are your plans for the weekend?

We (the kids) just finished icing cookies.. they are delicious.
    Hope you're all having a nice Saturday...

Comment

Well I made it to 270, pretty impressive when I used to not think I could make it to 30. I have a lot of anxiety today, I honestly think I need to stop drinking coffee too, as it's making me irritable and stressed, but then I feel like I can't focus on anything or get anything done. I haven't been meditating, which I know is good for me, but I usually meditate in the garage and it's freezing in there all day log now. I'll take an extra heater we have and move it back there. I need to meditate. I need to watch my thoughts. I emotionally feel much better than I did during the first 7 months of quitting but it is still something I miss doing. My eating habits are still crazy too, ice cream, pizza, soda have all been floating around. I don't want to replace alcohol with food but I definitely feel better than when I used to indulge in both.

Overit I wish I could tell you why not to drink. I think we all know why we aren't deep down, it's just the daily grind and bullshit make us forget. I'm not drinking because I only get this one life, I enjoyed it long enough, and maybe in 30-40 years when I am on a boat somewhere I will drink again. But I have equated drinking with being done living, cuss that's exactly what it is. Your choosing a short term pleasure for long term pain. I'd much rather learn and grow while I can, if fate takes away the things I love like my family of martial arts I might reconsider. But I was not becoming when I was drinking, I was slowly falling apart..

Comment

Well done on 270, Dutch.. that is a real accomplishment!! I'm wondering how much coffee you're drinking each day? I know that if I have more than my 2 max limit (and has to be before 10am) I become a bit of a crazy..and I don't feel well physically, in my gut.. but like you said, I feel like I "need" and really want that first/those first cups.
        I can't remember whether or not you've looked for "healthier" substitutes for the foods you love..? Probably you have.. but I know that eating healthier versions makes me feel so much better.. for instance, we freeze bananas and other fruits and make all kinds of smoothies, frozen banana ice cream sundaes (with nuts, dark chocolate, etc.), home made pizza-- nothing wrong with that!-- and home made soft drinks--whole fruit juices mixed with fizzy water (called a "schorle" here).. maybe substituting some green teas in the afternoons for coffee? Still get a kick, but not as hard!!
        I've begun meditating again, too, and I find it makes such a huge difference in my day. I tell myself ahead of time how long I'm going to sit.. and then, even if my mind is going bonkers, I force myself to at least sit still for the designated time.. it does wonders for my mindset..
        What part of the world are you living in?
        I loved the last line of your post, especially..
        But I was not becoming when I was drinking, I was slowly falling apart..
        Thanks for that...
        Last edited by lifechange; December 5, 2015, 12:36 PM.

Comment

These cookies are kicking my arse!
          Im on Plan F! Bah!!! I'll check in later! Byrdie.
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post

but I would argue that a good, long hug, a trip to the beach, a strenuous hike, and my first Saturday morning coffee give me that warm, fuzzy feeling. Not as immediate, but much more satisfying and long-lasting.

I thought deeply about this Pav and compared the feeling of the first couple of drinks and a hug etc. I've gotta say, the hug and rest of your list wins hands down. The buzz is similar for me if I open my senses fully, and of course with zero negative side effects. Only long lasting beneficial side effects like a big goofy grin on me dial.

Originally posted by lifechange View Post
            Hi Nesters!!

What a great post, Pav! To that buzz list, I'd add a meditation sitting.. sounds hard to believe, but when I'm disciplined to sit the time, and am able to really focus my mind, everything comes together and makes sense..

I kept it as simple as possible.. and I checked in here every single day. I have been taking very good care of myself, have been forcing my mind to be grateful and to turn my negativity into positive thought and action. Trying very hard NOT to over-think things.. I don't want to overwhelm myself.. not yet. baby steps. I know I'm on the right track. I know I never want to go back to the life I was living. I feel like I'm finally ready to make the sacrifices I have to make to ensure success!
            Gr8 stuff LC. Keeping it simple has not only helped me in early sobriety, but it's becoming a code.

Originally posted by Dutch1988 View Post
            Well I made it to 270, pretty impressive when I used to not think I could make it to 30.

But I have equated drinking with being done living, cuss that's exactly what it is.
            Agree Dutch. Congrat's on making it to 270 days off the booze. Gr8 work!

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
            These cookies are kicking my arse!
            Im on Plan F! Bah!!! I'll check in later! Byrdie.
            Of course, Picasso would say this before finishing yet another masterpiece.

Day 106 but who, I say who's counting. My dreams are on hold when I am drinking, and time really passes so damn quickly as I would watch the world go by in a blurry haze. If I want to live to my potential and actually enjoy myself and be happy as my default state with the time I have left on this planet, then I can do it, and I am. Today is it!

Enjoy the weekend friends.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Just testing
              The easy way to quit drinking?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow0lr63y4Mw

Comment

Gratitude

Ok, this mobile app is not friendly AND I can't "like" your comments. Took my pill ONLY because I have family coming, lots to get done and can't deal with the extreme headache that would follow drinking today. That's all I've got right now, it's selfish, but I'll cling to that today. Thanks for all your wiseness!

Comment

All the best with the family shindig Overit. Take it easy.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Just keep doing it like that for awhile, Overit.. Find a reason tomorrow why you just CAN'T deal with an extreme headache and take the pill..you deserve better than you're giving yourself when you drink.. really.:hug:

Comment

A moment of clarity (of course after taking my pill). I am so much stronger than this, I've always been one to prove things to myself, why do I let AL make me think I'm so weak and lazy And afraid, so sad

Comment

Thankd

Originally posted by lifechange View Post
                        Just keep doing it like that for awhile, Overit.. Find a reason tomorrow why you just CAN'T deal with an extreme headache and take the pill..you deserve better than you're giving yourself when you drink.. really.:hug:
                        Thanks! I agree

Comment

Overit, keep taking the pill lovely. Stopping drinking is like losing your best friend i always thought. That bottle understood all of me and what i was going through in life. It was my companion on many occasion but i got to a stage where i realised that that said bottle was killing me slowly but surely, it was sucking my life right out of me night after night. Only you can make the choice to take that pill and i hope you do as at the end of the tunnel life is so much better. Its the getting there that has ups and downs but its easier without that shite.

Happy 30 LC very proud of you girl. Keep posting and being accountable each and every day and you will never look back.

Congrats on 270 Dutch, no going back now.

Off i go to the ceremony today. Picking up Roberts dogs and partner on the way to make sure they arrive on time. My daughter asked if i will cry, oh god yes! Roberts partner said "we can have a glass of champers before the ceremony", I said no but you can and he was so funny as he knows i dont drink and he was like "i am so sorry, you can have water"! I sure can or anything non al really. Ed Sheeran in the evening and no thoughts of al. It will be a great normal day for me.

Take care
                          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Lifechange, congrats on the 30 big days!!! Awesome! On behalf of the nest, here is your hat!!! :guy: We like a speech around here!
                            Dutch, 9 months! Like LilBit, you have created a new life! We are so proud of you! Thank you for being here, you are an important part of the nest! Keep up the great work!

The cookie project is done! I know about a dozen approaches that wont work! I hung in there until I found a way that did. Much like this journey!
                            Hope everyone has a cozy night in the nest!
                            Attached Files
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Wish I could drink at my husband, he's a jerk! 😡

Comment

Headed to husband's work party. Not an easy environment. Not that happy with my husband either Overit. As I see it, the most important thing is to not give up ourselves for bad behavior on their part. So that means not to drink . THEY are unhappy; we don't need to be. Hang in there. If I can survive these heavy hitter drinkers tonight, you can make it too. Let's do this good thing for ourselves.
                                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Working...
                                X