Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

Just checking in for the evening. All is well here we just finished having church, which was wonderful.

Overit- so sorry to hear about your mom. It is always hard losing someone so close to you and AL has always been our comforter (or so we thought), now we have to find other ways of comfort. I use prayer, close friends and this website for support. Praying for you and your family. You can do this!

Have a wonderful evening all!

JDG
    Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

Just got home from work and made myself a tea instead of grabbing a glass of wine. It's only Day 2 but I'm excited to see what is in store for my future. On Sunday I ordered a product called Declinol then proceeded to celebrate that was what was going to be my magic lamp with about 4 bottles of wine. Which took me to Monday morning hungover, I'm not sure why I did that. Well the product arrived today and my hubby will start tomorrow I think it will be easier if he isn't drinking everyday all day. (He was severely injured 3 years ago). AL has become both of our crutch for too long. Rewind back to Last week I went on a bender because I lost a very good friend to alcohol who made a poor choice one night I think it was a drunk induced accident but it really made me and my hubby look at our lives and see how close we have come as consumption of AL has esculated and will continue if we don't stop now. I'm very thankful I have found this forum and I'm going to need all your help.

PS I'm very sorry to hear about your mom over it
      Last edited by Inthesky; December 8, 2015, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Good evening skittle poopers. Did I just really say that?
        Congrats on the weight loss Lil, you must be feeling awesome

Overit, CONGRATS on your 7 AF days :welldone:
        I hope you can help your Mom remain peaceful while making her transition. I know how hard it is, I lost my parents a while ago. We are here for you :hug:

Honeysoup. welcome back. You know the drill around here, stick with us!

Welcome back JDG!
        Glad you are here as well. Plenty of room in the nest, feels like home.

Inthesky, I picked up a decaf green tea habit when I quit - nice

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi, Everyone:

I read back but I am trying to simultaneously do five things at once and can't remember which way is up. i know I DID see a skittle pooping unicorn, several full moons, and some new/old check ins.

I'll try to have more focus tomorrow. Congratulations on the moons, gang. Welcome back, Honeysoup - I remember you also. Grab a chair and stay a while.

Byrdie and Lil you crack me up.

Night,
          Pav

Comment

Hi Nesters..
            flying by on my way to work..
            i woke up this morning feeling a bit off.. i've found it helps to read here! and this blog, which was posted a couple of weeks ago, hip sobriety, has some great reads. i liked this one about how to refuse a drink someone is offering you. comes up a lot this time of year and next week i have a christmas party to attend that i'm not worried about per say.. but it's always a good idea to have a plan..
            i LOVE how this woman looks at the decision not to drink as bad-ass and POSITIVE! because that's exactly what it is, what we're doing.. changing our lives for the better, step by step, day by day!!!

What To Do When Someone Buys You a Drink*. (*And You Don't Drink). — HIP SOBRIETY

Comment

No moderators so no. Let's stick with this thread as the other one points to this one.

Day eight here. I'm feeling OKish I think. A bit wobbly now and again but about 500% better than day one! Got my SMART handbook in the post today and I'm slowly reading through it. Interesting stuff.

Comment

Good morning Nester & happy Hump day

LC, good article & I highly recommend #3 - you don't need to justify your reason for not drinking. I've been saying that all along, it's no one's business what's in your glass.

I'm meeting a few old friends/coworkers for lunch today & none of us drink ~ no problem!!
                Wishing everyone a great AF day!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Morning, all. 'Hag here, riding her Skittle-pooping unicorn. Sometimes I'm convinced that Matt is on a secret mission to make me snort coffee out of my nose when I read his posts in the early morning. Come on -- fess up, Matt.

Overit, thinking of you & your mom. It's hard. But it really will be 1000% more doable without the "faulty crutch." Please lean on us here in the Nest.

Love to all of you. Stay strong. One day at a time.
                  "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Good Morning, fellow nesters!
                    Lifechange, great article on how to say NO! I like her attitude! Sober is the new black!
                    Back when I was in the clutches of AL (and TRYING to cut back or stop) I would look at the folks who didn't drink with envy. What do THEY know that I didn't?? As it turns out....Plenty! Saying NO to AL comes as easily now as saying NO to a glass of gasoline. It wasn't always this way....it took practice! Trust me, the OCCASIONAL drink (which it never is) is just not worth it....it's not worth the GSR (guilt/shame/remorse), not worth starting my count over, not worth the constant internal struggle. It is 1000 times easier to JUST SAY NO. End of debate! Besides, what's ONE drink going to do for me anyway? AL is poison to our human bodies, every time. Drinking is NOT normal. Not drinking IS normal. Don't be fooled!

Happy Hump Day! Hope everyone has a peaceful day! Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by LilBit View Post
                      Morning, all. 'Hag here, riding her Skittle-pooping unicorn. Sometimes I'm convinced that Matt is on a secret mission to make me snort coffee out of my nose when I read his posts in the early morning. Come on -- fess up, Matt.

Overit, thinking of you & your mom. It's hard. But it really will be 1000% more doable without the "faulty crutch." Please lean on us here in the Nest.

Love to all of you. Stay strong. One day at a time.
                      Guilty as charged! At the fire house if a person can cause another to cough, snort or spew liquids from their nose or mouth-they have succeeded!
                      AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Good Morning all,
                        Start of Day 3 and I'm exhausted this sleep, wake, sleep, wake .... Etc cycle is annoying. But it does cement my conviction to quit as I don't wanna redo this again. Lol can't seem to keep a thought in my head long. I'm learning meditation from a friend at work she says my head is too full as I haven't got to the count of 1.
                        Off to work.

Comment

I used to be so jealous of people who didn't drink while I thought I had to. I must admit, I still get a little thrill when I calmly order my soda water with lime when everyone around me is "needing a drink". And I've seen people look at me the way I know I used to look at non-drinkers. This is something to be PROUD of!

Comment

Hang in there Inthesky! Your body is in flux now, but it will even out. Great work on day 3 - keep going! You won't regret it!

Work, yoga and trying to figure out this new hairdo today. Seems to be one that has to be "done" - and I'm a big fan of low maintenance. Hmmmm.

Oh, and I've been really looking forward to my afternoon cup of chai tea. A friend gave me a good authentic recipe, and I've had fun playing with the spice combinations. It's really an art - and a good, spicy distraction to other drinks. Like a ritual, I can cook it up on my stove and really enjoy the creation. A couple recipes I've borrowed from...

Authentic Indian Chai - A Spicy Perspective

How to Make Real Indian Masala Chai Tea in 5 Minutes - Keeper of the Home

I started with the bottom recipe, and amended to be more like the top over time. I use a little honey vs. sugar, and very strong Lipton tea (reg. or decaf) for flavor. Let me know if you are interested and I'll share some other things I've learned.

Happy Wednesday to you all! 4th night of Hanukkah in my home tonight (actually Christmaskah - we still do both).
                            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Morning all,

It's a cloudy day here in the sip, which is good, makes me feel all warm and cozy. I know I'm weird. I enjoy reading all the posts here. it helps me reaffirm my commitment to be a non-drinker. I can remember waking up and not remembering what happened last night or all day yesterday or the last few days, blah. Thankful today I am AF, still taking it ODAT.

Inthesky - it will get better and you will sleep like you never have before. You will wake up and feel rested and refreshed. After about day 3 for me, the fog began to lift and I started to see life clearly again. Hang tough, you got this.

Have a blessed day!
                              JDG
                              Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

My head is spinning today, so I need to figure out a way to settle down. Just so many things piled on my desk, running here and there with duties and meetings. So this will be my few minutes of peace.

Welcome to all the newbies. You've found a great place for support! Just don't drink today and all will be good.

I know that it's still unfamiliar territory for me in declining drinks, but it doesn't hurt in any way. What I know is that getting through one day at a time is the key, and one day I'm gonna wake up and realize I'm truly a nondrinker. Right now, it feels fake. I have no intentions on drinking, but I know that to be free of this will take patience and time. I don't know when that day will come, but I'm so willing to wait and trust that I will get there. Relax into this, as NS says.

Overit, sending thoughts your way. That's such a difficult situation, and I feel your pain as my mom is going through an illness presently. :hug:

Today's a sober day, and that makes it a great day.
                                Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Working...
                                X