No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My heart goes out to you j-vo, these are tough times. It's never easy seeing your parents suffer like this.
    My parents both died from cancer. Fortunately Dad's illness was short, Mom's lingered although she was still sharp mentally until she passed.
    I wish I had been AF at the times my folks passed. Still, it was an honour to be able to share those final days together.
    If you have a chance, pick up a book called Final Gifts. It helped my siblings and I understand what an ill person is going through near the end.
    Stay strong j-vo, your friends in the nest are here if you need us.
    AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
    F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

A late checknin for me! Ive been making cookies for my step daughter's office. She works in a fertility clinic, so I have made chromosome, fetus, and sperm cookies. This goes right alongside spouting the benefits of being AF....never thought Id be doing either of these things! Normally on weekends, Id be passed out by now. Its hard to think where Id be 5 years later had I not quit, I have to think the worst, my liver readings were betraying my 2 glass a night story to my doctors. Im just SO thankful that I slammed the door on AL. Its just NOT an option.
      Moni, congrats on your 2 monrhs sober! You are showing off your new pair!!!! We are mighty proud of you! :welldone:
      Dont forget to spring forward tonight! Hope everyone is having a peaceful day! Byrdie
      Attached Files
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hysterical!
        (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

NS? I find Harm reduction radio when I do an iPod search... Is this what you mnetioned?
          When I search Hip Sobriety I get nothing...

Originally posted by NoSugar View Post
          El, after you get through the Bubble Hour podcasts, you might enjoy the HOME podcasts by the women from Hip Sobriety and I Fly at Night. I gave the link yesterday in the LOAMERS thread but you can find them on iTunes and streaming services or with links from their websites. I want to be their BFFs (even though I think I could be their mother if I'd had children very young :haha.
          (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Originally posted by Eloise View Post
            NS? I find Harm reduction radio when I do an iPod search... Is this what you mnetioned?
            When I search Hip Sobriety I get nothing...
            Try this link Eloise. https://soundcloud.com/thisishomepod

Love it Byrdy!

I love waking up sober. Damn it, i love LIVING sober. It rocks doesn't it? Even just having a couple of 'controlled' drinks leaves a 2nd hand junk sale not quite the real deal, cheaply made cut corners dollar shop sort of vibe, as much as i love the occassional junk sale.

And i have a question: Where are ya K9?!!

Have a gr8 weekend y'all.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi, All:

Good news, G. K9 checked in to the Steppers thread - say hi over there. Good to see your mug around here again, too.

J-Vo - sorry about your mom. Glad you're sober to deal with it.

I have to run but wanted to check in. Kid sports, etc. So glad I feel good.

Where IS everyone??

Pav

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Had my 3 grandkids here today & most of their parents, busy but fun

j-vo, thinking about you & your parents. Take care of yourself :hug:

Byrdie, awesome cookies, very creative!!!

G, the sober life is a good one. Let's always remember that simple but important statement!

Losing an hour of sleep tonight, not by choice but daylight savings time.
                Wishing everyone a safe but shorter night in the nest!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Check in. Not feeling great today, but hanging in there. Not sure if it's a reaction to reintroduced food or if I'm coming down with something, but I've had a headache all week. Went to a bluegrass and beer festival today. I thoroughly enjoyed the music and didn't even consider the beer.... It did not feel tempting at all. That was nice, not a feeling of craving or depravation - didn't really think about it except that it's not a part of my life. Sleep tight nest.
                  Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good Sunday morning Nesters,

Clouds rolling in in my portion of the nest, oh well! Lots of sunny Spring days are on the way!

Sorry you are under the weather Kensho. Take it easy today, if that's possible. Glad you enjoyed the bluegrass music yesterday, I love it too. No beer needed either

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF day ahead!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Indifference is the greatest, isn't it Kensho? I felt that at a wine-tasting party the other night. Soch freedom!

If if you felt great during your Whole 30 and don't now, it makes sense that something you re-introduced is the cause. You could do a Whole 7 or something like that and then re-introduce things one at a time. That is how my DIL discovered dairy was her problem and for my son, gluten.

Comment

Good morning, fellow nesters!
                        Time and distance from AL will give us the armor needed to protect ourselves. I didnt think it at the time, but Jan 20, 2011 was the first day of the rest of my life. I thought that nothing would be the same....and thank goodness, nothing has been! AL pulled me down so low I didnt think I could function without it....its frightening to see how strong addiction is. Do whatever it takes to get thru this day AF.

Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Morning.
                          Hope u feel better Kensho.
                          Going to a fundraiser today. It's a purse bash so hope to win something good!
                          Have a good day.
                          Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Sober Sunday morning nest,

Very windy here today. This is something I am getting used to. It was not windy, except during winter back home. Loving the new digs. It is actually very stress free, its almost like starting life over. No one knows my history unless I choose to tell them. I don't know all the roads or AL stores for that matter and my truck is not here yet. To some this could be anxiety causing and when I was a drunk, it would have been for me, but now its a new chapter in my AF life and currently I am loving it. Do miss my kiddos but we Skye daily and we will be going home for a few days in a couple of weeks.

J-vo - I totally empathize with seeing a parent with a tragic illness. My mom encountered brain death during an anoxic event due to pneumonia at the age of 44 and I was 16. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. If you ever need a shoulder, mine is always open.

Byrdie - great cookies. Love them.

Hi Lav, Pav, G-man and anyone else I missed.

Have a super Sunday,
                            JDG
                            Making the quit stick! since 02/27/2016:victorious:

Comment

I'm learning this lesson too

Originally posted by Eloise View Post
                              Yes, good to see you back Fin! Alcohol just doesn't give up, does it? Amazing.
                              It has such a draw on us. The other day I was 'sort of' thinking... 'yeah, after you stop drinking for a good long time you can have the occasional drink. No harm done.' Yeah right. I really do not think I have another quit in me, this one was so hard to stick to the first 4 months, I better stomp on those kinds of thoughts.

This is not to infer you don't have another quit in you Fin. Naturally you can do it, it is just I would prefer not to have to do it again.
                              I just pray I have really learnt that drinking is not for me. I started listening to the Bubble Hour again to nudge the old subconscious along.
                              My last few months I thought I was moderating and had several occasions where I just had one/didn't get drunk but a) it led me back to hating myself after getting blind/drunk on a relatively small amount and b) I felt gross even after just one. I kept trying to make it fit. It just makes me not fit. I remember what a friend said about smoking, she quit and said if I know if I have just one, I'll be a smoker again. This true on the drink for me. I'm on my umpteenth quit as well. But clearly I'm not alone. Here's to everyone going for it again. May you all have what you need to keep on your respective paths. Our culture might say otherwise, but we are doing what is right for us. It is a gorgeous day today! Thank goodness for day x whatever the number. Mine is 4! But I also have the additive benefit of all the 100's of days I had before. Yippee

Comment

JVO - what's a purse bash?

JDG - so glad you are excited and positive about your new place!

NTQ - it's amazing when we get to that place where alcohol clearly doesn't fit anymore, no matter how much we try it or try to ignore the problem. I got to where I could have just one - but I hated it. Though it was not a quantity problem, how I was thinking about it was no longer anywhere close to a "normal" drinker.

Byrdie - Such professional looking cookies! You are so talented! Did people hesitate at all putting any of them in their mouth? I bet that was a fun time!

I'm stealing a little quiet time here - a much needed break on my day of house chores. I kicked the kids outside and I can hear them laughing and yelling. So glad they are enjoying the nice day!

NS, yes, I plan to go back to what felt good, and very slowly add in the non-compliant stuff to see how it does. I did it all too quickly and was left with - "I feel like crap but not sure what caused it". I did have a new level of stress hit this week too with projects and deadlines so it could have contributed. I read so much on the topic of grains and there seems to be conflicting science and recommendations. But I guess the best way to judge how things work for us is to gauge how we feel when we consume them, right? This would make alcohol a definite OUT for me. I feel like crap EVERY time I drink it - so no brainer there!

My husband had some beer yesterday at the festival. He said this morning that the diet we did taught him that he doesn't want to consume things that make him feel like poop, and that he feels like drinking is one of those things. He said it feels like poison, just like bad food (and then he asked me "it IS bad for you, right?"). He IS listening to what I say! I am not interested in changing anyone else, but I do tell him why I do what I do, and beyond my wildest belief, I think he is taking the path I am taking to some degree. I would have never guessed! He struggles with the issue that drinking and "craft beer" is a big part of his socialization and past - so it is hard to want to NOT do it as much. He is wrestling with that. But for him to come to the conclusion that feeling better is a good thing makes me so happy. I enjoy him so much more when he feels better!

Sorry for the rant - haven't unloaded my thoughts in awhile.

Thanks for listening and I hope everyone has a good day!!!
                                Last edited by KENSHO; March 13, 2016, 02:02 PM.
                                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Working...
                                X