No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lex, wine is aggressively marketed to women: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/30/bu...omen.html?_r=0. The companies are brilliant at presenting it as a 'need' rather than a 'want', as classy and sophisticated, as something innocuous that "everyone does", and as healthful. They have managed to encourage and normalize drinking poison. I'm always annoyed when I realize I've been manipulated by advertising but this is by far the instance with the greatest negative consequences.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Kensho, I am all about positivity too, why not? It's a healthy habit to develop

Hello & welcome Alba!

Fin, that's a great choice you made - keep doing that!

lex, I guess we all develop a taste for our poison, one or the other, huh?
      Wine was my poison of choice too - good stuff, bad stuff, it didn't matter. Glad that's ancient history now.

NS, I have to agree about the marketing - that's just evil

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Day 11 down

Good posts price kensho eloise - lots of insight
        Lex I agree on wine - gross;beer girl myself but NS is right about the marketing toward women
        I have noticed some pleasant (and nots I pleasant) changes in just 11 days:
        1. Stomach flatter and not as puffy all over
        2. Sleeping better this week
        3. Exercise most days and really got in the zone running today
        4. Appetite is great/ food really fun again
        5. Happier in general but still very short fused
        6. More Engaged w kids and remember everything we talk about and I can really "be there" when they need me
        7. Feeling more spiritual
        8. Drive anywhere anytime
        9. No sneaking)))))
        10. No shame
        11. Going to sleep at same time as hubs instead of drinking
        12. Skin is brighter
        13. Eyes brighter

Comment

This is for Lav...

ChickenLady.png
          Go as far as you can see.
          When you get there, you'll see further.

Comment

Quick check in from vacationland. We are spending the morning with Mick and Mrs Mick then we meet up with the tour group at 2 this afternoon. I cant tell you how special it was when Mick, Daisy and I sat together on a couch for a photo. AL tore us all apart and MWO brought us all together. This internet thing is amazing!

Traveling without the extra baggage of AL has been such a blessing. Hang in there and get the 'hard yards' done, I promise it is worth it on the other side.

Hugs from Dublin! Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good morning Nesters, happy Friday

Not so sunny here today but that's OK. I am having fun with my granddaughter regardless.

Ican, you have every reason to stay on plan & keep those positive side effects going, good for you!

Thanks for the T shirt mywayin, ha ha! I started raising chickens 12 years ago on a whim. I had no idea it would become so addictive!!!

Byrdie, I'm so glad to hear you are enjoying your vacation with such good company :hug:

Wishing everyone a sensational AF day!
              RIP Prince!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Nest, putting in the "hard yards" as Byrd says. Day 12 is a new high water mark this year. Like many of us, I too need to think of it day by day. Permanent is too overwhelming to contemplate and brings up all kinds of anxiety in me. So, here I am another day. Next, repeat.

Have a great AF Friday,
                -Fin
                Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Day 14 for me......happy to be here!
                  Sooo good to meet up with Byrdie and Mick.....as lovely and more than they are on this site.
                  Wish I could have spent more time.....
                  We all come here anonymously but getting to know one another and getting together with people you already trust is real and was a welcome relief for me. Nobody else except my children know that I am on this site. Hopefully we can do it again.
                  IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                  Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Gosh Byrdie & Daisy!
                    Sounds like a ton of fun!! It must be great to meet people from MWO in real life!

Good job Fin. Also not much fun around here. I don't always know what to do with myself. Have a lot to do, but end up watching tv and smoking... And eating!!

Considering quitting smoking. If I am going to eat like this in any case, why not take care of both addictions...? ...

Wish you all a good friday night. X

Comment

I went through some old posts. Found my old profile. Its not 3 years ago as I thought, its FIVE!!!

I wish that girl stuck to it, but I know why she started drinking again.
                      My children were 2 and 4. I was still studying and financially dependent on emotionally abusive family and soon to be ex husband.
                      I felt like a caged animal. And as I am typing it and remembering THAT time, I want to drink.

Now, I am financially able to stand on my own two feet. My divorce has been finalised. We managed to become friends. Broke contact with my family. I am free. This quit SHOULD stick!!

Damn! Wish I didn't start writing this. Now I have AL thoughts...
                      But I wont!!!

I don't want to look up this profile 5 years from now and wonder how my life would have been if I stayed sober.

Need to distract myself now.

See you Nesters later.

Comment

Hi, JustMe

Whatever you experienced in the past - good or bad - is over. If thinking about the former "good stuff" makes you feel happy and content, then by all means do it! But anything you think about from the past that makes you stressed or anxious and more likely to make a bad decision now isn't worth your thoughts. Unless you let the past affect the present, it can't hurt you - it's over! Ruminating about the bad things that have happened certainly can hurt us but luckily, its up to us what thoughts we follow.

It sounds like your life situation is pretty good right now. That puts you in a great frame of mind for making the right choices - like not drinking and maybe not smoking. Follow the ideas that truly "feel right". For most of us, we'll never again be able to think that way about having a drink. The thought will be accompanied by trepidation and worry - strong clues that's it's not a thought to follow.

Have a good, AF weekend! NS

Comment

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
                          Quick check in from vacationland. We are spending the morning with Mick and Mrs Mick then we meet up with the tour group at 2 this afternoon. I cant tell you how special it was when Mick, Daisy and I sat together on a couch for a photo. AL tore us all apart and MWO brought us all together. This internet thing is amazing!

Traveling without the extra baggage of AL has been such a blessing. Hang in there and get the 'hard yards' done, I promise it is worth it on the other side.

Hugs from Dublin! Byrdie

That is so cool! Go to another country and actually meet people you've met online. One day I'll be in that couch selfie with you!
                          (_I_)(_/_)(_I_)(_\_)(_I_)
                          Last edited by Matt M.; April 22, 2016, 04:21 PM.
                          AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Just me- No Sugar is spot on with her comments/ advice .
                            Something I've said in here and truly believe, is that my biggest regrets, and darkest days have become my biggest allies today!
                            And as the Big Book of AA so eloquently puts it in its "promises" section-

We are going to know a new freedom
                            and a new happiness.
                            We will not regret the past
                            nor wish to shut the door on it.

Having been sober for damn near 2 years I could not agree with that statement more!

Stay Hard my friends!
                            AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Struggling - I am on a "mini" vacation to a place I've always drank - just really struggling

Comment

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post

Hugs from Dublin! Byrdie
                                ireland.jpg

Welcome to Ireland Ms Byrdie.
                                Pity we had to be out of the capital while you were there.
                                Hope it is everything you expected

Comment

Working...
                                X