Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yo Nesters near and not so far!

Go for it Daisy. You are worth it.

Keeping my recovery simple here. No room for overwhelming thoughts!

On this tuesday morning: Meditation done. coffee in progress. Soon - Running shoes on and out the door to do........something, anything! e.g. just an easy run, walk/run/sightsee, 2 kilometres, 10 kilometres, maybe some gym work, or go hard with sprints on the sand at the beach. Doesn't matter, no stress. Do as much or as little as i like. 30 mins, or 2 hours, no stress. Just do it regular G man, k? k. Followed with doing something i love daily for 30 mins, or 8 + hrs. Keeping regular connection with friends and community throughout the week so as not to isolate. There is a balance there for me, not too much or too little. :happy2:

Have a bewdy out there y'all.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

We were surprised with a few hours of sunshine this afternoon, nice

It's after 9 pm & I'm in my shop working. I can do this now & be happy about it because I took control of my life 7+ years ago. I made the executive decision to kick AL out & never let the bastard back in again. I am grateful, believe me!

Daisy, you can make the same decision & be assured you will have no regrets!

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest.

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good Tuesday morning Nesters!

I'm the last one here & the first one up again - good for me, haha!

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF day!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

NS, even when I drink I know it is not something good.....So why do I do it? I would take the first sip and the self-hatred starts. Gonna go for another 'fresh start' but staying close to the Nest!
          Byrdie, I will get there. My situation is more personal to me....my children trust me and know that if their children are in my care they will be a priority. I would never drink while having responsibility for them. In some ways it would be easier if they put more pressure on me to stop completely.....
          There is a bubble hour podcast about limitations and how a lot of people drink at certain times according to their responsibilies....early in the evening as they need to function for work, weekends only, and yet they holiday and drink from early morning to night.
          I need to give up because I feel the effects are damaging to my health and I am not living to my best potential. Things have improved so much since coming here and getting those periods of AF time has left me more determined because I see how good life is without it ....health, stress, relationships...all better.
          I am in aposition right now where I would not dream of having a drink no matter what as I have to go to the labour room with my daughter. The 'no matter what' is something I need to keep hold of afterwards.
          Feeling good today and using this time to read.....a lot. The more I look at my situation, I can now see things that I have let slip.......re: 13 Signs of Relapse on Sober Nation.
          Mick, thinking ahead does do more harm than good.....you are right. Time to get my pen out!
          Thanks for the support everyone..,.
          IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
          Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Hey nesters.
            To be honest if I had not listened to a recent Bubble Hour about long term relapse I may have drank yesterday.
            The episode I mention was about needing around 5 years af before letting your guard down too much, and about how quickly 'we' fall back into old overdoing it patterns, if not worse. No, don't want to deal with that again. Good grief. And if no one else cares that I stopped drinking, at least I do. I care a lot.
            Lots of pressure at home, I won't elaborate in case someone has the lack of judgement to make a comment like 'get over it Eloise.' Or something to that effect.
            See how wise I am becoming? Haha. Or maybe even more cynical? That is not good, I know.

I was even thinking that it would be good for someone, not me, to post something one day like
            " Note: If you cannot control yourself and feel the need to reach out and slap someone, don't do it here.'

That is a nice suggest, right? Haha. I am laughing now, honest. I don't need help.
            Just sayin' and this is not directed at anyone specific. This is just a general comment I am well aware I should probably not make.
            Last edited by Eloise; May 4, 2016, 04:19 AM.
            (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Good afternoon, Nesters!
              As you know, yesterday was my first day back from vacation. Around 5 pm my boss calls. He said that our company is going thru yet another down-sizing and that my job was part of it. I am devastated. 28 years with this company...half my life. Not sure what I will do yet, right now, I am packing up 28 years of files and preparing for my exit on Thursday. The boss is coming in at 1 to pick up my phone, computer and do my exit interview. This is the only real job I've known, I'm going to be lost for a while. I plan to use the very same strategies I learned right here in this nest....all I gotta do is get thru THIS day.
              Hugs to all, Byrdie
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Quitting is simply not easy Daisy!
                We can swear up and down 'never again'... I think I had to prove to myself I could do it. Plus I was scared of running away from my life.
                Am in week 3 of a home mindfulness program. I just bought a book, ' Mindfulness, finding peace in a frantic world.' Thank god I did.
                Now I realise these desperate feelings pass, but if I drink it quite simply welcomes the misery to continue. It won't make it go away, it just gets worse.
                I even had lunch in a bar yesterday!! I didn't think about ordering wine, I did think about the old days though and was glad to walk away sober.
                You can do it too & you are moving in that direction. Proud of you Daisy.
                Originally posted by daisy45 View Post
                NS, even when I drink I know it is not something good.....So why do I do it? I would take the first sip and the self-hatred starts. Gonna go for another 'fresh start' but staying close to the Nest!
                Byrdie, I will get there. My situation is more personal to me....my children trust me and know that if their children are in my care they will be a priority. I would never drink while having responsibility for them. In some ways it would be easier if they put more pressure on me to stop completely.....
                There is a bubble hour podcast about limitations and how a lot of people drink at certain times according to their responsibilies....early in the evening as they need to function for work, weekends only, and yet they holiday and drink from early morning to night.
                I need to give up because I feel the effects are damaging to my health and I am not living to my best potential. Things have improved so much since coming here and getting those periods of AF time has left me more determined because I see how good life is without it ....health, stress, relationships...all better.
                I am in aposition right now where I would not dream of having a drink no matter what as I have to go to the labour room with my daughter. The 'no matter what' is something I need to keep hold of afterwards.
                Feeling good today and using this time to read.....a lot. The more I look at my situation, I can now see things that I have let slip.......re: 13 Signs of Relapse on Sober Nation.
                Mick, thinking ahead does do more harm than good.....you are right. Time to get my pen out!
                Thanks for the support everyone..,.

Comment

Omg Brydie.
                  I am so sorry about this, sincerely, and wholeheartedly Sorry.

Originally posted by Byrdlady View Post
                  Good afternoon, Nesters!
                  As you know, yesterday was my first day back from vacation. Around 5 pm my boss calls. He said that our company is going thru yet another down-sizing and that my job was part of it. I am devastated. 28 years with this company...half my life. Not sure what I will do yet, right now, I am packing up 28 years of files and preparing for my exit on Thursday. The boss is coming in at 1 to pick up my phone, computer and do my exit interview. This is the only real job I've known, I'm going to be lost for a while. I plan to use the very same strategies I learned right here in this nest....all I gotta do is get thru THIS day.
                  Hugs to all, Byrdie

Comment

I'm so sorry you got this bad news. The only silver lining I see, Byrdie, is that you'll be going through this unfair mess with confidence and control, not second-guessing everything you've done or said. You KNOW you've done a good job.

I hope in 6 months you'll be able to look back on this as a good thing that opened up a world of opportunities. xx, NS

Comment

Sending you hugs Byrdie. Ride the uncertainty and discomfort - you are strong. Challenge doesn't break us, giving in to foolish escapes breaks us. And remember, when one door closes..... Thinking about you today.

My recent ridiculous string of issues are resolving, one by one. They are fixing my blender for free. The sales tax thing was resolved on one phone call - they messed up, not me - nothing owed. I stayed up until 4am two nights ago, getting my project back on track - client seems to be happy. I have received commitments to receive payment from several clients by Friday, which will ease up my cash flow issue. I wrote an apology letter to the workroom who wanted to fire me, and we are on good terms once again. And the hormones have balanced yet again. Things are not "totally peachy" - but they are not as bad as I thought they were when I felt in the dumps. I breathed, endured and slogged my way through the necessary steps to begin to fix them - and alas I feel better. I have learned things in the process. AND I am still 146 days sober. I call it grace to decide to work through messy stuff and come out on the other side - without numbing myself to oblivion. These are kind of silly issues I've been dealing with - I know there are much harder life challenges and I don't pretend that not drinking would be easy. But for today, I am ok and know that alcohol would have made all this worse.

Daisy - sorry you are still struggling with the mind-bender that alcohol is. The day I realized that alcohol was truly damaging me and my life, and believed others that life could be great without it, I left it behind. Keep working the angles - something will resonate with you and you can have a better life too. It just takes some initial work and faith.
                      Last edited by KENSHO; May 3, 2016, 01:09 PM.
                      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

For shit's sake Byrdie!
                        After 28 years with the company you get a 2 or 3 day notice you are no longer needed?? That's ridiculous. I am very sorry they chose to treat you so poorly

Like NS, I see this as a brand new beginning for you & possibly a gift from the Universe
                        Don't you go doubting yourself or feeling bad about this. You can turn this situation into a golden opportunity for yourself - cookie crumbs & all. HINT!!!!!

We love you & support you always :hug:
                        Last edited by Lavande; May 3, 2016, 01:28 PM.
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Ha! I've been trying to get her to charge for those amazing cookies and cakes for months, Lav! You're just a bit more subtle than I am :wink:.

Comment

Byrdie,youll be sick of reading my messages!!what a bunch of tossers they are!!certainly take care and an interest in their employees ..not...

the main theme here is one door closes..another opens...you have the strength,courage and guts to see it through...get thru the initial uncertainty ,go thru the seas of change grief anger etc,and when you come out of it...whatever you apply yourself to you will succeed..Julie says go into jewellry and/or cake making!!Dear friend,we both send you our best, but I guess you know that anyway x
                            af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Hey Byrdie.....so sorry this has happened.....they sound like a shower of ****holes! To do that and the way they did it!
                              Don't know what to say....I am sure you are more hurt than anything.....but you know 'this too shall pass' and you will blossom even more.
                              That conversation we had in Dublin comes to mind.....charging for doing what you enjoy!
                              Take care. X
                              IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                              Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Gosh Byrdie I'm sorry to read this but you're a strong woman with a great head on your shoulders,a survivor,it'll work out for you I'm positive
                                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X