Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evening nesters

Interesting topic and i always believe that i had to make the choice to stop drinking. It didnt matter what anyone said to me about my drinking, at the end of the day i had to want to stop and then i had to reach out for help. My support is here and with my children. I structured my quit knowing that this was where i reached out to those that had walked before me. I knew that MWO understood what being an alcoholic was all about and knew what i was going through. my children were there for when i was out and about or to talk to in person. They certainly dont fully understand how hard it was/is to stop drinking. They assumed that i had stopped and that was it. Even now they dont get that sometimes i still feel like a drink even though it has been two plus years. My network of fellow drinkers do, and reading on here i know there is strength in numbers to keep me sober. I have grown and thrived through MWO, be it the serious talk or the happenings of daily life. I rely on the day to day contact, knowing we are all working towards a common goal and that is sobriety. I dont need to meet other addicts to keep me sober, i dont need to do a program, i need to do what works for me and this is my home where i know i can log on and be accountable.

The percentage of people that stay sober is low and there is always a chance of relapse in my opinion. I have seen so many people come and go in the years i have been here and its sad to see as gaining sobriety is one of the hardest challenges i am conquering. I work everyday in keeping sober and it may only be logging on here but its what i need and its all i need. We all can only do what we think is right for us. Some people will always relapse and keep returning but they are fighting to be sober and that is so admirable, many give up and die. As long as we make a choice in ourselves to try that is what counts. We are certainly not perfect but we do show empathy for others with this addiction.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Very well articulated available.
      I can't really put my thoughts into writing like you do so quickly yet, maybe I am still just figuring out how this all works.
      So thanks for your lovely, sincere and entirely 'on the money' post!
      (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Good Tuesday morning Nesters,

Dark & damp in my portion of the nest again, ho hum. This weather is forcing me to stay inside & clean stuff, ha ha. At this point in my life I would much rather be outside playing in the garden during my free time.

Greetings to everyone, make it a great AF day one & all!

Lav
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hope everyone is having a good morning. I got my latest lab results back and I'm happy to report that liver enzymes and bilirubin counts are back to normal (23 AST, 36 ALT and .4 total bilirubin). I still have a smidge too much bad cholesterol (102 vs. below 100) but my total cholesterol is below 200 (182) and my triglycerides and ratio of HDL to LDL is normal. I'm also still a smidge Vitamin D deficient (should be at least 30ng/mL and I'm at 28), which is ironic because I live in Florida and I'm outside ALL the time. I was prescribed 50,000 units of Vitamin D weekly last year, so it's time to go back on them. Good to know I'm back on track with my health. When I was in detox my liver enzymes were over 100 and my total cholesterol was nearly 300 (291). What a difference just a month and a half can make.

I have the day off today, so although it looks cloudy and like it's threatening rain, I'm off to work on my sailboat.
          First, a man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man. --Chinese proverb

Comment

Evening Nest

Not much going on. Normal working week. Some insomnia, but nothing beats the feeling of walking into work knowing I am sober. Nothing to worry about who might smell what or to look normal.

Listening to the Bubble Hour and reading on UnPickled blog.
            Lots if thoughts and reflecting.

Have a good night.

Comment

Just popped in to say hi. it's been quite some time since i visited here last. I know that the most common reason for people to leave is a re-lapse I am happy to say that i am still sober. I lost count of the days but my last drink was on December 31,2013. It's great to be sober any one just starting out hang in there it gets better.

Comment

Good evening, Nesters.
                Had a phone interview with a company today, so thats a step in the right direction. Hopefully, the next step is an interview.

What an emotional rollercoaster Ive been on this past week. But at no time, have I considered AL as an option.
                Nomorejim, great to hear from you and learn you have remained AF! Terrific news!
                Hope everyone has an easy evening! Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

I can't believe this chilly & damp weather pattern. It's down in the 40's, Brrr, ha ha!!

Nomorejim, wonderful to see you & congrats in your AF time, very nice

aih, the body has amazing healing powers when we treat it with a bit of loving care.

Hi there Byrdie, good on the phone interview. Just wait until they meet you in person

Hi there Justme & everyone!

Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Vitamin D deficiency is pretty common in alcoholics. The liver converts Vitamin D into a usable form. Keep taking the supplements and it will improve. It was the last symptoms to improve with me.
                    Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Originally posted by available View Post
                      Evening nesters

Interesting topic and i always believe that i had to make the choice to stop drinking. It didnt matter what anyone said to me about my drinking, at the end of the day i had to want to stop and then i had to reach out for help. My support is here and with my children. I structured my quit knowing that this was where i reached out to those that had walked before me. I knew that MWO understood what being an alcoholic was all about and knew what i was going through. my children were there for when i was out and about or to talk to in person. They certainly dont fully understand how hard it was/is to stop drinking. They assumed that i had stopped and that was it. Even now they dont get that sometimes i still feel like a drink even though it has been two plus years. My network of fellow drinkers do, and reading on here i know there is strength in numbers to keep me sober. I have grown and thrived through MWO, be it the serious talk or the happenings of daily life. I rely on the day to day contact, knowing we are all working towards a common goal and that is sobriety. I dont need to meet other addicts to keep me sober, i dont need to do a program, i need to do what works for me and this is my home where i know i can log on and be accountable.

The percentage of people that stay sober is low and there is always a chance of relapse in my opinion. I have seen so many people come and go in the years i have been here and its sad to see as gaining sobriety is one of the hardest challenges i am conquering. I work everyday in keeping sober and it may only be logging on here but its what i need and its all i need. We all can only do what we think is right for us. Some people will always relapse and keep returning but they are fighting to be sober and that is so admirable, many give up and die. As long as we make a choice in ourselves to try that is what counts. We are certainly not perfect but we do show empathy for others with this addiction.
                      avail..what a brilliant and honest post thanks for posting it
                      af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Good Wednesday morning Nesters, happy hump day

I hope everyone has a wonderful AF & SUNNY day. I'm still stuck in the cloudy & rainy weather pattern here in my portion of the nest, boo hoo!!
                        Make it a great day & remember your goals, you will never be sorry!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good morning, Nesters!
                          Here I am bright and early sitting at my desk ready to work, but NO job. It feels really odd, I must say.

I am at a real cross roads....over the last 28 years we have lived simply and well within our means, so we have a good 'cushion', plus the severance pay. On the other hand, I can see that it would be easy to settle in to a routine of NOT working and then in a year, my skills would be rusty as heck and the odds of finding a job in my field would be slim. I'm not really sure what to do. The good news is that I have time.

Getting my hair cut and colored this morning, that always picks me up. Hope everyone has a peaceful day! Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Byrdie - I am so sad to hear about your job. You are such an amazing person I know in my heart that you will be in a better place next year this time! You seem to be ready for the next chapter in your life. Enjoy your day.

Comment

Good morning feathered friends! We have lovely sunny weather here today, and I'm feeling positive. My work load has been through the roof and I've had very little time to regenerate. As I age and grow up (part of not drinking), I am able to better see that part of my personality is a need for a lot of quiet personal time. Call it introversion or whatever, but I really need it to build my energy and enthusiasm back up. I say this because I think it was s major reason I drank. I would (and still do) get up at 6:30, spend the morning getting kids ready for school and making breakfast/lunches and running out the door, work all day, pick up the kids, make dinner, shower kids and have family time, put kids to bed, and go back to work until sleep (which has recently been early am hours). The only time I can count as mine is commuting of the occasional workout I get when working from home. I need more alone than the average person and I'm getting very little. So I would drink at night to "get away". Now that alcohol is off the table, I see this issue clearly and know I have to deal with it by finding myself more time. I hate being grumpy with the kids at night when making dinner and all they want to do is talk about their day and share with me. But I'm so tapped out by then. SO, when I have these crazy work deadlines, I'm not sure I know how to solve this issue, but at least I recognize it for what it is and don't drink to escape it any more.

Get yourself some distance from AL, and what you learn about WHY you drank is very enlightening.

Byrdie, I know it must feel uncomfortable and stressful in limbo, but do try to enjoy a few moments of quiet before you jump into another position!! Thoughts with you today.
                              Last edited by KENSHO; May 11, 2016, 10:51 AM.
                              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Hi Nest

Byrdie - glad to hear you are feeling better. Think you are handling your situation well. It gives me hope for when life throws something unexpected, I don't need to drink over it.

Kensho - your days sound hectic! Distance from al brings up random memories and thoughts. It doesn't make sense to me right now, but I believe I wil get clarity with more AF time.

Lav - we had unexpected rain today. We are at the start of winter in this part of the world, so the rain made it really cold. More reason to stay inside which I prefer these days .

See tomorrow. X
                                Last edited by Justme Again; May 11, 2016, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X