X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popping in to wish a Happy birthday to Lav
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by madonmehndi View Post

I had a good meeting this morning and came away feeling more positive than I have for the past couple of days, hearing other folks stories and plans for Christmas helped me to stop my pity party about my circumstances, instead of dwelling on negative issues!
      Hiya nesters near and not so far,

Madon,

I think you raise an important point. self pity party. self pity, poor me etc. etc. etc. is a sure way back to boozing and more self abuse. Getting out of our heads for awhile i reckon is crucial, via an activity and/or connection with others, especially others like us who understand and relate. AA, NA, SMART recovery, this forum, blogs, phone convo's, that cheesy buddhist temple down the road run by some middle class honky (ok maybe try that little unadvertised free temple hidden away up the laneway), whatever it takes.

We might as well throw everything we have at our situation to live sober happily, 'cause there sure is a lot of temptation around waiting for us to lose our self care, self love focus. Yep, it's ok to love ourselves. In fact, git some self lovin in today anyway you can even if you can't feel it yet.

Friend Kensho, 130 days! Smokin! imp:

Happy birthday Lav! :balloons:
      Last edited by Guitarista; December 19, 2016, 05:45 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Happy Birthday, Lav!!

G, self-lovin'. So important, the most important. And while in the throes of drinking, there is none of that, at all. We've got a lot of catching up to do. Years and years of self-abuse and not a bit of love. Very sad as I sit here and type it. Neglect. We wouldn't neglect our puppies because they need so much love and give so much. Why would we want to neglect ourselves? This addiction is so f-ing backwards. It takes everything away from us, our basic needs for love, to be loved, to love ourselves. We wouldn't neglect our children, not give them love, so why would we do this to ourselves. I feel as though I'm repeating myself, but I guess i am because I'm trying to see it in writing for myself how sick I'd become because of this poison.

When or if I have a pity party, I'm going to visualize a very drunk me. Because that's where it'll go if I have just one because just one never happens. No one wants to be around a very drunk me. Not even me.

Thanks for that website, SoCali. I'm gonna check it out.

Have a good night.
        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Sobriety is like a little car | Tired of Thinking About Drinking
          Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Thank you j-vo for putting that "link" in here! I'm not smart enough to know how to do that (and I'm totally NOT kidding!!! HILARIOUS that it's 2016 and I'm such a computer DORK I don't even know how to post a "link". BAHAHAHAHAHA!) Anyway, just read it again (thanks to you...) and I seriously love her metaphors, BOTH of them! And, some of the things people post in the comments are great too.

I say, whatever helps us along in this journey, be it silly, serious, uplifting, somber, something that puts wind in our sails and lifts us up, or something that provides a swift kick in the ASS to get back in line....whatever it is, we should use it.

Have a good night all of you!!!

Comment

Hellooooo old friends and new! Happy b-day Lav! 'Wanted to just pop in, say hello, see how you're all doing, and wish you the very best of the Season. I missed you guys (!) and it's all my own fault for being out there running around in the big wide world and forgetting to visit the Nest. 'Am doing extremely well -- healthy, happy and going on 2 years. Traveling for a family ski trip tomorrow. It's something I could never have done whilst my head was stuck firmly in a bottle and my arse was stuck firmly on my shoulders.

'Will check back in while I'm on the plane. How the heck are all of you?
              "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Good evening, Nesters!
                Great posts, as usual! Busy day in Byrdland. Heading in to Christmas arent we?! Wow, it has gone fast, Im looking forward to my vacation next week! Keep up the great work everyone!
                Lav, wow, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Hope you had a great day!!! :fairy:
                You are my Guardian angel! Hugs dear lady! Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by LilBit View Post
                  Hellooooo old friends and new! Happy b-day Lav! 'Wanted to just pop in, say hello, see how you're all doing, and wish you the very best of the Season. I missed you guys (!) and it's all my own fault for being out there running around in the big wide world and forgetting to visit the Nest. 'Am doing extremely well -- healthy, happy and going on 2 years. Traveling for a family ski trip tomorrow. It's something I could never have done whilst my head was stuck firmly in a bottle and my arse was stuck firmly on my shoulders.

'Will check back in while I'm on the plane. How the heck are all of you?
                  Yo Lilbit! Wondered what u were up to many times. Gr8 to see you. All good here thanks. Hope you can post some more! :thumbs:

And a well deserved vacation it'll be Byrdy!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters!

I had a great birthday, thanks for all the birthday wishes

Lil, so glad to see you & hear you are doing well!
                    Enjoy the ski trip, but be careful

Having a birthday this time of year is weird because it usually gets lost in Christmas activities. I am grateful for family & friends here who take a minute to remember me. We went & had a nice lunch out with our daughter & her husband - perfect

I do not miss those personal pity parties. I put a moratorium on them nearly 8 years ago & decided to be happy no matter what. It works, it honestly works!
                    Practice your best 'no thanks' & be prepared for a wonderful AF holiday everyone

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Just watched a new show (I think it's new) called Risky Drinking. Pretty good. I'll see if it's on weekly.

Comment

Checking in for the night. SoCali, you sound good. LILBIT! Good to see you; congrats on 2 years! And... HAPPY BIRTHDAY LAV! Hope you had a fabulous day doing just what you wanted to do.

I'm so. freaking. tired. I could sleep for a week. I think I'm burned out - and there is no end in sight to the deadlines. Ugh! Anyway, I am supposed to get a lot done tonight, and I'm going to bed. That's the difference between the old me and the now me. I used to drink to get through these moments - to numb the pain. Now I just go to bed and realize the worst that can happen is that I get fired. I'll save the adrenaline push for another night, because I just don't have it in me tonight. I think I'm going to look into a project management class, when I have some down time. (Y'all get that joke?).

Happy here not drinking.
                        Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Happy Happy Birthday Lav!

Comment

Good morning nesters & happy birthday lav.

Well I got home at last, its nice to be back but its so busy, & very cold, Was with a few old friends yesterday , Some of them are in a bad way due to alcohol abuse, But they cant see it & one actually asked will I not just have a few over Christmas , I said no your grand I don't like being on sinking ships, I don't think he liked my answer :-)

Anyway have a great day nesters, I of out running around, stay happy n positive.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

evening nesters

One day of work left and then i am holidays, i so cant wait. why is it when you want something so bad it takes so long to get here.

Happy birthday Lav, i do so glad you had a lovely day, you deserve it.

Lil so nice to see you popping in. Wow 2 years, a massive achievement and glad to here you are still going strong.

Going to be a scorcher xmas day and after in Ausland. The weatherman keeps upping the temperature. 37 celcius at this stage.

Going to the mans tomorrow for a couple of days before the madness of xmas hits me.

J, i will have to look at that tv show, never heard of it but i do love MOM and Nurse Jackie, very true about al for tv shows.

take care xx
                              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Nice to see you Lil and congrats on your two big years!

Kensho, that's what I do when I'm overwhelmed. Save it for the next day and go to sleep. Always seems to work for me. I do my best work in the morning.

Ava, the show is like a documentary and it's on HBO. I have to see if it's a regular show. Don't know if it's a one time thing. Enjoy your holidays and your man!

Hi Mario. I don't think people like to see success in others or it might make them feel bad, or better yet, make them recognize they need to do something about their drinking. We can be role models and maybe we are to some and just don't know it.

At work, getting ready for the kids. Will check in later.

Comment

Working...
                                X